Electrical Regs

Guest Pete L

Guest Pete L

:DHi I have just got my visa's and we are about to take a short break to Adelaide in October and I'm looking to carry on being an electrician and I know I need to pass there regs course but can anyone help me find where to contact and where I can get hold of the required books?

Has anyone done the exam and is it similar to the UK 16th edition ?

Many thanks

Pete and family

Guest mOZzy

hi pete!

here is a link to another forum that's especially for 'electricians problems in oz'

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97 (i hope that's ok lisa?!??)

any questions for SA you need to ask 'Wendy' - she's in adelaide ;)

as far as i understand it you first have to do your ARTC, then a first aid course and a H&S course and then you can sit your course for the license?!?

as i said: very confusing!! i am not even the electrician here - only the reseracher!

i think for the licence course you should use Peer as oposed to Tafe - they have no waiting list and better course times ...

i hope this helps

and once you passed yours i hope you'll help us out ;)

Guest Leanne & Mark

Hi OH is in structured cabling, and we've noticed of the few jobs advertised they are expected to do electrics aswell as Datacomms.

So he looked at doing a five day course to get his 16th edition cert. for about £1k but when we get to oz, he has to do thier cert.

Would it be better to do the whole thing in oz, if so any one know where and how much it costs?? or where i can look.??

Guest Russfamily

Hi all i worked in sa for four years came back and i am going back out in October again, i had a look into getting my A class license back up and running again. they said that i will need to sit my aust regs again and also the course that goes with it at a cost of $324 not sure if any books are supplied but they wont break the bank

Guest Russfamily

Im a maintenance electrician mainly can do installation work, i tried to get my license restored only last week but i will have to go through the process again before i can get work. They are hot on licenses (tickets) as they call them. This is a copy of an email they sent me last week

Thanks for your email.

To re-apply for your Electrical Licence, you will need to complete the AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules Course and Exam. This course can be completed at either Regency TAFE (08) 8348 4426 or PEER Tec (08) 8348 1200. Once you have completed the course, you can apply to obtain your licence. The fee will be $324.00 (current until 30 June 07) and that includes 3 years registration.

If you have any further queries, please contact the office on 08 8204 9696 or by return email.

Regards

Jacqui Norman

A/Supervisor Licensing

Business and Occupational Services

Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

Government of South Australia

GPO Box 1719, ADELAIDE, 5001

3rd Floor, 91-97 Grenfell Street, ADELAIDE 5000

' (w) +61 8 8204 9696

' (fax) +61 8 8204 9697

• 1 month later...
Guest Russfamily

ESWA R035 0505

This summary is for those applicants who are required to undertake examinations before an “A” Grade

electrical workers licence can be issued or restored. Applicants are required to obtain approval from

Energy Safety before undertaking the examinations.

Short Theory Electrical Examination / Second Endorsement Examination

The Short Electrical Mechanic’s Examination is a theory examination comprising 25 multiple-choice

questions based on AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules.

The Short Electrical Fitting Examination is a theory examination comprising 25 multiple-choice

questions based predominantly on electrical fitting theory with the inclusion of one or more questions

based upon the relevant sections of AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules.

Applicants are required to take a copy of the current edition of AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules into the

examination with them for reference.

Time duration of examination: 1½ hours Cost to sit the examination: $25.00

Long Electrical Examination (Theory and Practical Examinations)

The Long Electrical Examination is a theory and practical examination comprising questions based on

AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules. The theory examination is in two parts with Part A made up of

40 multiple-choice questions and Part B made up of 10 multiple-choice questions where applicants are

required to quote the clause number from AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules.

Applicants are required to take a copy of the current edition of AS/NZS 3000:2000 Wiring Rules into the

examination with them for reference.

Applicants who are successful in the theory examination will then be required to complete a practical

skills and knowledge examination. Applicants undertaking the practical examination will also need to

refer to AS/NZS 3008.1.1 Selection of Cables.

Theory Examination

Time duration of examination: 3 hours Cost to sit the examination: $30.00

Practical Examination

Time duration of examination: 4 hours Cost to sit the examination: $110.00

Applicants who provide an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) with their application for

a licence are required to successfully complete the practical component of the Long Electrical

Examination and the Short Theory Electrical Examination. Where a practical examination has been

undertaken to obtain an ARTC, then only the Short Theory Electrical Examination is required.

To arrange a convenient examination time, please contact Michele Bennett, Balga Campus of Swan

TAFE by telephoning (08) 9207 4209 between 9.00 am and 4.00 pm Monday to Friday.

Notes:

· Fees are subject to alteration without notice.

· TAFE will forward all results to the Electrical Licensing Board for its consideration.

· After consideration of examination results (not papers), the Electrical Licensing Board will notify the

candidate in WRITING only of the examination results and of the Board’s decision.

• 1 year later...
Guest spike9692001
hi pete!

here is a link to another forum that's especially for 'electricians problems in oz'

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97 (i hope that's ok lisa?!??)

any questions for SA you need to ask 'Wendy' - she's in adelaide ;)

as far as i understand it you first have to do your ARTC, then a first aid course and a H&S course and then you can sit your course for the license?!?

as i said: very confusing!! i am not even the electrician here - only the reseracher!

i think for the licence course you should use Peer as oposed to Tafe - they have no waiting list and better course times ...

i hope this helps

and once you passed yours i hope you'll help us out ;)

god mate just read your post such bad info lol, i know it was sent a while ago but you do not have to do an ARTC or first aid or a H&S to do your AS/3000:skeptical: anyway did my AS/3000 dont have an ARTC or a H&S or a first aid or a visa cheers :D

You dont need first aid cert here in SA to gain a licence, cos my hubby did his thinking he needed one like other states, but its not a requirement here in south australia, you need wiring regs course pass certificate and artc cert as far as im aware, will ask hubby to reply when he gets home cos hes the electrician:)

Guest askmeaboutadelaide

Hi Peter

http://www.peer.com.au/Training/OverseasEnquiry/tabid/181/Default.aspx

try contacting Peter Jolly at Peer Veet who has a wealth of knowledge and experience in helping UK electricians. I am led to believe you can front load some of the conversion material before you leave the UK, Peter will fill you in on the details etc.. he's a really friendly guy

1042 Port Road

ALBERT PARK SA 5014

Phone: (08) 8348 1200

General Fax: (08) 8348 1201

Payroll Fax: (08) 8348 1202

regards

Judy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marty

If my last apprentice managed to get his licence then any one can, the diffrence in what we do here as to the UK is not much its all in the as/nz 3000-2007 if you read that its easy to work out.