Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mouse

Jet-lagged Newbie here!

Guest Mouse

Hello all :)

I have been in Adelaide about 40 hours now, and I am still waiting for the jet lag to settle down. I've suffered several bouts of narcolepsy today, and am now bouncing off the walls at 1 in the morning.

So, my story is that I have moved from Salisbury for love. My other half is an Aussie, who was over in the UK last year. Not the sanest of reasons for moving, I'll admit, and the maddest thing I have done in my 36 years of existence, but there it is, and here I am.

I found this site after typing "employment agencies in Adelaide visa" into Google, and got a hit on a thread from this site... it was a bit like finding an oasis in a dessert. I must admit as the hours tick by I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by this whole thing. I'm great with goals, it's just that in this case I was so busy achieving this one in short order (a deadline imposed by the RAAF, not me) that I haven't really been able to set up my next one, that of finding a job.

I've done plenty of the visa-fact-finding leg work prior to my arrival here (mainly because the international company I was working for could not be bothered to do any themselves), but at the last it came down to staying put in the UK and saying goodbye to to the love of my life for the 3rd time in 6 months, or jumping feet first into the scariest situation I've ever put myself in.

So, I'm not a doctor, or a teacher, or any of those hens-teeth kind of professions that means I get a zillion points and move right in with a visa. I think I'm going to have to go down the employer-sponsored route. My experience is in Project and Business Management, with over 7 years of it in the Aerospace Defence Industry. Does anyone out there have any good advice / experience that they could pass on to me on which agencies to approach?

I've waffled, but there really isn't anything else to do at 0125, unless I go and wake my beloved up and talk at him (:chatterbox:) until narcolepsy strikes again :SLEEP:....... actually, I think I'll go do that.

Bye for now!

Guest katieb
    Hello all :)

I have been in Adelaide about 40 hours now, and I am still waiting for the jet lag to settle down. I've suffered several bouts of narcolepsy today, and am now bouncing off the walls at 1 in the morning.

So, my story is that I have moved from Salisbury for love. My other half is an Aussie, who was over in the UK last year. Not the sanest of reasons for moving, I'll admit, and the maddest thing I have done in my 36 years of existence, but there it is, and here I am.

I found this site after typing "employment agencies in Adelaide visa" into Google, and got a hit on a thread from this site... it was a bit like finding an oasis in a dessert. I must admit as the hours tick by I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by this whole thing. I'm great with goals, it's just that in this case I was so busy achieving this one in short order (a deadline imposed by the RAAF, not me) that I haven't really been able to set up my next one, that of finding a job.

I've done plenty of the visa-fact-finding leg work prior to my arrival here (mainly because the international company I was working for could not be bothered to do any themselves), but at the last it came down to staying put in the UK and saying goodbye to to the love of my life for the 3rd time in 6 months, or jumping feet first into the scariest situation I've ever put myself in.

So, I'm not a doctor, or a teacher, or any of those hens-teeth kind of professions that means I get a zillion points and move right in with a visa. I think I'm going to have to go down the employer-sponsored route. My experience is in Project and Business Management, with over 7 years of it in the Aerospace Defence Industry. Does anyone out there have any good advice / experience that they could pass on to me on which agencies to approach?

I've waffled, but there really isn't anything else to do at 0125, unless I go and wake my beloved up and talk at him (:chatterbox:) until narcolepsy strikes again :SLEEP:....... actually, I think I'll go do that.

Bye for now!

Hi Mouse,

My husband works here at BAE Systems (British Aerospace) in Elizabeth but they have sites all over Adelaide, might be worth sending them your CV to see if they have any opportunities.

Their website is http://www.baesystemscareers.com.au/

Hope this helps?

Katie B

Guest Mouse

Thanks for the heads-up Katie :)

I did spot them in Elizabeth when I was over here in April, but at the time was a little too focused on a couple of other companies... will broaden my horizons now!

Guest cazzie

Hi Mouse,

Like you, I have moved to Adelaide for love, to be with my Bill. I have no regrets, but still miss the UK and my family badly. We are in the UK now for a 3 week holiday and loving every minute. Good luck with your new life and your job searching. I hope you will both be very happy.

Guest MarkIngram

hi mouse

well done on making such a brave move....hope the jet lag settles soon. i'm coming out with my family at the end of october...no jobs lined up...but confident enough that my wife and i will find work soon enough.

good luck with the job search...it sounds to me as if you'll be okay....not my field at all...but from my research this is certainly a major industry over there.

mark

Guest dibdob73

Hi there

Welcome to Adelaide, I recently moved to Norwood which is not too far from Prospect. Came out last year (April) with my Fiance who works for BAe Systems. We decided to split and have no family out here, so if you need a friend let me know.

We could start with a coffee in the City if you like. Let me know.

Best Wishes

Debbie :-)

Guest Mouse

Cazzie,

Thanks so much for your welcome, am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now so the positive stuff really helps!

Guest Mouse

Mark,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, am just starting to get my teeth into the whole job search thing and REALLY hope you're right about there being plenty of vacancies out there!

Best of luck with your move :)

Guest Mouse

Debbie,

I think you have been very brave! Many a bod would have high-tailed it home the minute they were sans aussie partner.

Will send you a PM shortly, thanks for the hello :)