Pesty650

What should we be doing?

Hi all, :)

We have our visa & the house is on the market. The plan is to go to Adelaide about 1 month after the house sale goes through (it's not sold yet though!!!), so we have no idea really when we will be going. Could be 3 months, could be 6 months or longer, who knows!!!

I feel like we should be doing things in readiness though. Is it worth getting shipping quotes, opening bank accounts or anything else now?

Suggestions welcome please as we don't want to leave everything till the last minute or we'll end up in a right mess.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

P

Guest The Dimmocks

We got our visa last week and will hopefully be putting the house on market in the next few weeks so like you we are in the same position. We not sure what to do either as all hangs on house sale. Hope you house sells quickly and all the best in your plans.

Guest chloebopper

Hi,

We were in the same situation as you, we had our visas granted in November 2008, we already had our house on the market, we had loads of viewings and loads of offers well under our asking price, we have finally sold it now, just waiting to exchange contracts. We also had a job offer over in Oz and they kept putting the final start date back as many of the people they took on were in the same position as us. On thing I would suggest is don't let things lapse, keep on top of everything, know were your up to with things. Try and sort out or plan things as much as you can as you might sell your house sooner than you think. We didn't do this, we thought we were never going to get there and nearly gave up at one point. Then it's felt a bit rushed now it's all happening. Get some quotes for removals as you said, get more than 1 so as you can compare them. Open bank accounts in readiness. Go on the net and get lists of things to do before you leave, we got one off www.adelaidebound.com , it's on the main page under moving checklist, also make lists with telephone numbers, policy / account numbers so as you have them all in one place when you finally do get ready to move. Just try to sort out as much as you can in preparation for the move, we didn't and we are sorting loads of stuff out at the last minute as we fly out on 20th August. Hope this is of some use to you, and that all goes well.

With the housing market being as bad as it is, I would get your house on the market sharpish. It is amazing how quickly the time goes by before you start to panic that you won't sell your house in time. We should know, our sale completes on Friday and we have to be in Australia by the 21st August at the latest. Talk about cutting it fine. And we put our house on the market as soon as our visa had been granted.

Guest ben&sharon

Hi,

Everything hinged on our house sale as well, and all I can say is that the best thing you can do is to have everything lined up and ready to go. We shipped with Robinsons International, who were great - we provisionally booked the packing / shipping dates about two months ahead, and then moved them twice before we actually got anything finalised - our move manager was just brilliant (Heather McClaren). Of course, our stuff is still at sea, so I can't speak for the end result. :biglaugh:

But anything you can do to ease you into those final days will make you feel a whole load better - most of our stress melted away as the lorry went around the corner with our container on.

Good luck for your move,

Sharon.

OMG - We've just had a offer on the house!! Only an hour after starting this thread.

Maybe someone has been sending to good karma, thank you!

It's been on the market a while now & we did have a sale fall through so it's difficult to get too excited just yet, but fingers crossed things might just go ahead this time.

We'd better pull our fingers out & start getting things sorted, just in case....

We got our visa last week and will hopefully be putting the house on market in the next few weeks so like you we are in the same position. We not sure what to do either as all hangs on house sale. Hope you house sells quickly and all the best in your plans.

You really should get quotes in readiness as this was the advice another memeber gave me. Then you can get an idea of how much things are going to be and then you can just give them a date. Especially if you want to get out there soon as.

We have just had Robinsons International round today and it is nice to know that someone has had a good experiance with them. Got more coming this week.

I think making a list is a great idea. Personally we did our own but will check the one on Adelaide bound for a comparison as I am sure there is something we will forget even though there is 91 things on it.

Best of luck but the more things you can do earlier the easier it will be when your house is sold.