Prema

Plugs

Can anyone tell me if it is easy to change all our electrical stuff from UK plugs to Australian plugs.

I can change a plug in the UK, but would we need to use an electrician to do the same in OZ?

Can anyone tell me if it is easy to change all our electrical stuff from UK plugs to Australian plugs.

I can change a plug in the UK, but would we need to use an electrician to do the same in OZ?

I changed all mine in Oz, and it's just as easy as a UK one - though there are no fuses and the plugs seem really flimsy in comparison to British ones!

Thanks for the reply Bill. You say there are no fuses. Is that not dangerous? What about electrical fires etc...

hi,

its easy to change a plug & you can buy a big pack of plugs in Bunnings (like B&Q) quite cheap.

We bought over a few extention leads from the uk and changed the plug on the end to an aussie one. Useful if you have chargers such as Ds, Baby monitors which you cant change the plugs on.

Also you may find that Australians skimp on plug sockets.. Many only have 1 plug in each bedroom so the extention leads are a godsend.

Guest Wersal Gummage

No, No fuses in the plugs here and no it's not dangerous or they wouldnt be allowed to do it.:err:

I think it has something to do trip switchs/ circut breakers but I'm sure an electrrition on here can fill you in.

I dont think it's the fuses you want to worry about anyway, it's the 240v plug socket next to the sink in the bathroom that got me worrying.:goofy:

Guest the4hopes
    No, No fuses in the plugs here and no it's not dangerous or they wouldnt be allowed to do it.:err:

I think it has something to do trip switchs/ circut breakers but I'm sure an electrrition on here can fill you in.

I dont think it's the fuses you want to worry about anyway, it's the 240v plug socket next to the sink in the bathroom that got me worrying.:goofy:

And all the cables trailed across the floors because theres only one socket in each room!

Guest Guest75

If you are bringing a lot of UK electrical equipment it might be worthwhile bringing some 4 way extensions??

Great for the PC setup I found.

You would only have 1 plug to change then.:)

Guest marty

As long as the sink in the bathroom is under 45 litres then the outlet only has to be 150mm from the edge of the sink, over 45 Lts then it has to be 500mm away, the main problem is in small bathrooms, if you have an open shower and a flexible shower head then the it is hard to legally put a power outlet in the bathroom.

Yes we do have fuses or circuit breakers at the swithboard, we dont need fuses in the plug tops as we dont install ring mains like they do in the UK, our power circuits are rated at 16 amp not 32 amp like in the UK.

A far as only one power outlet in the bedroom thats the builders fault they build the houses as cheap as possible and try to upsell extras like more power points after the contract is signed, most singles can be changed to doubles or even 4 gang outlets with out and problems.

As long as the sink in the bathroom is under 45 litres then the outlet only has to be 150mm from the edge of the sink, over 45 Lts then it has to be 500mm away, the main problem is in small bathrooms, if you have an open shower and a flexible shower head then the it is hard to legally put a power outlet in the bathroom.

Yes we do have fuses or circuit breakers at the swithboard, we dont need fuses in the plug tops as we dont install ring mains like they do in the UK, our power circuits are rated at 16 amp not 32 amp like in the UK.

A far as only one power outlet in the bedroom thats the builders fault they build the houses as cheap as possible and try to upsell extras like more power points after the contract is signed, most singles can be changed to doubles or even 4 gang outlets with out and problems.

Marty,

I have brought over my brand new un-used Washing Machine and Tumble Dryer from the UK. But I have a problem. I cut of the pre-moulded UK plug and changed it to the 3 pin Ozzie plug, but it tripped the switched. Went back to Bunnings and changed the plug from a 10 amp standard ozzie plug to a 15 amp ozzie plug one. Only to realise that the pins were to big for my sockets, thus I went back to Bunnings, got the smaller pin 15 amp ozzie plug and yet again it always trips my main switch.

I put the English plug back on with the right fuse and used it with an adapter and it still tripped also tried it with a extension socket and it still tripped.

Not sure what to do? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Tony

Guest nishman

Plugs are found in many outlets including Bunnings and Big W from around $3 each.

They're pretty simple to do, although the flat backed one's are less fiddly (but more suited for smaller powered devices with cords that are less chunky).

The dome backed ones are a little more fiddly, and I found the best was to push the sheath home was to plug in into the socket (turned off of course). As mentioned, the pinds are pretty fem, and don't take a lot of effort to bend if they're man-handled.

One thing that made me smile is that the plug is upside down compared to the UK one - as the earth pin is at the bottom :)