Guest batleys

tax file number how do we get one

Guest batleys

been advised to get tax file numbers before we go, does anybody know how to do this as according to aus tax page you cannot apply till you get there is this right please help as very confused ......

Guest BurgessFamily

you have to be in the country. can then apply online or at the tax office in adelaide.

Guest batleys

how long does this take as on previous post they said 28 days is this correct as could cause probs with his work

Guest BurgessFamily

if you've applied for a TFN, you are ok to work, just might not get paid until it comes through!!

We applied a couple of weeks back and haven't got it yet, we ain't working yet so I guess it doesn't effect us yet. Someone told us it's 4-5 weeks.

You can phone them up and they will give you the number over the phone if you have lodged your application online. I had to when I was offered my job as I did not want to wait 28 days.

Guest batleys

thanks for link but i have allready been on that and next pages says you have to been in aus, so i will have to wait and stop trying to do everything before we get there, mind you though stopping with friends when we arrive so would they know any difference ... knock at door... yeap pee delivery of party supplies aussie flags and hats etcc ... yippee:D:D

thanks for link but i have allready been on that and next pages says you have to been in aus, so i will have to wait and stop trying to do everything before we get there, mind you though stopping with friends when we arrive so would they know any difference ... knock at door... yeap pee delivery of party supplies aussie flags and hats etcc ... yippee:D:D

I also said that you don't have to be in Aus. You just need an Aus postal address for them to send you the TFN.

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi guys, Yes you do have to be on Australian soil. The address isn't the indicator - they will know from your passport movements! You'll find you can jump on the website the same day and they will know you have arrived. Not having it straight away shouldn't stop you working nor should it stop you from getting paid. The employer may put you on an emergency tax code which means you will pay more tax in the first month - but you would get that back with your first tax return.

Cheers, Kazza.