Guest Nicky&Andy

advice on building tools

Guest Nicky&Andy

at last since we got our visa in march 2008, we have accepted an offer on our house (fingers crossed)very early days , hopefully all will go smoothly, (only a yr & a half waiting. lol, )

andrew is thinking of bringing his tools over and a pretty new cement mixer, does any one know how clean they have to be and is dried hard cement classed as contamination, and weather small rust marks have to be painted over any help on this would be great

nicky

Guest The Dimmocks

Good luck with the sale of your house, we just about to put ours on the market. Can't help with tools but sure we will be asking that one a bit further down the line.

Guest shed end col

Hi Andrew i had the same dilema regarding my mixer and tools. After some helpful advice from my removal firm, i sold my mixer before i left blighty,apparently customs can be really picky towards dried cement . Mind you i have scince bought a new mixer out here and paid double to what they cost in the UK! Hand tools ,just wire brush the worst of the cement off and clean and paint any digging tools. Hope this helps. Good luck with the move. Col.

Guest kangomik

is it worth shipping a new one?

Customs are picky

Guest Nicky&Andy

thanks for the replys , might be worth trying to presser wash the cement off, do you know if you have to paint over any rust patches to seal them, (i know wood you do) not sure about metal, espically on his tressels where theyve been left outside.

Guest Nicky&Andy

i suppose if you used it a little so it doesnt look new, trouble is his is less than a yr old, worth considering though , thanks

Hiya,

I brought all my trusty rusty tools with me,i sprayed them with WD40,WIPED THEM DOWN WITH OLD RAGS,THEN SPRAYED THEM liberally WITH jEYES FLUID,AS ADVISED.Never had a problem.I may have been lucky,but i reckon if the customs see you have had a go,then things will be allright.Best of luck.

Guest Nicky&Andy

thanks sueoc for the good advice, didnt think of that, certainatly worth a try, replacing tools would be expensive