exploiting teenagers

Guest tess4

hi there

i was wondering if it is the norm here in adelaide for hairdressers to exploit kids by having them work in their shops for a couple of days without paying them any money and then not offer them any more work? my daughter was more or less told she had a job in a hairdressers in glenelg and asked to go in for a couple of days trial......but more or less told the job was hers. she worked 2 full days from 9 to 5. she was asked to scrub the shop (which she says was filthy) from top to bottom and then asked to go pick up the rubbish in the garden and pull up the weeds. the manager also told her that her fringe was too long and got the junior to cut it. she made a mess of it and we had to then pay to get it fixed!!! she also told her she had to get plain black trousers which we had to go out and buy. my daughter worked and tried really hard.

the hairdresser never even gave her a penny and never had the courtesy to let her know she was unsuccessful. this cant be right?!?! has this happened to anyone else?:nah:

Guest Nicky, Alan and Kids

Yep this has happened to my daughter also at a salon in Glenelg, she has had her hopes built up so many times by being told the ' job was in the bag' then she doesnt even get a phone call. So your daughter is not alone.

You can name a hairdressers you would not recommend for us all then,now't wrong with that.Also i think there is an official body that deals with such cases as your daughter suffered,i would ask around.I think it's disgraceful to treat youngsters like that.Best of luck.

Exploitative, and also highly illegal.http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/youth/fom_twwork.jsp

Trial work vs work experience

Explain the difference between trial work and work experience?

Under South Australia’s industrial laws, every worker must be paid the correct wages for the work that they do.

There is generally no such thing as an unpaid trial or probation period.

Most job offers are made after an interview, however, you may be asked to undertake a trial or probationary period. The trial or probationary period gives the employer the opportunity to assess the performance of a new employee and also gives the employee the chance to determine whether they want to continue the work on an ongoing basis. Your employer must tell you how long the trial period will be prior to you commencing work, (up to a maximum of three months) and you must be paid for all hours worked.

Employers can be prosecuted, face penalties and can be required to make up the correct wages plus interest in relation to each occasion an employee is not paid or is underpaid.

Trial/probationary work is often confused with work experience, which is coordinated and run through an educational institution.

School or government-sponsored work experience programs are valuable. However, be wary of other offers of unpaid work experience, even if they seem like a good idea. Unless the work experience is through a structured and approved training programme, or organised through your school, TAFE or university, you should be paid for any work you do.

Trial work and probationary work information sheet

Guest kangomik

Nice post wizzy, unfortunately many do not know about this, apparently it's common, not just with kids. The view being if you don't offer to work for nowt then you won't get a chance of the job.

I have to admit i nearly fell over when i heard this, but people have worked for a week and just over for free! (in the hope of securing regular work)

Guest ReadyPenny

How utterly ridiculous in this day and age. I understand however that although the law is in place to protect against this, you have to do what you have to do to secure employment. But in the words of the very annoying A & R Computers ad on telly at the mo "that's low".

I hope that word gets around sufficiently well enough on here for their business to be affected and hit them where it hurts, in the pocket!

Mandy