sueoc

Traffic light system

hi,

Betcha no one on here has NEVER cussed or swore whilst sat at the antiquated traffic light system here.I still cannot believe that after a 3 minute wait to turn right at the lights,and 15th car back,the green right arrow is on for around 5 seconds !Then its time to bite another chunk out of the steering wheel.And the other one that gets me is when i want to cross a dual carriageway from a side street,to turn right onto it,there is no chance,this side of christmas,so its wait till there's a break in the traffic on my side ,do a left,drive 100 yards down the road till i can get in the right lane, eventually turn right down a side street(with the inevitable tailgater behind)find somewhere to do a 3 point turn,drive back up the side street,wait for yonks to turn left back on to the side of the carriageway i wanted, and then,after 100 yards or so,its Voila!At last i have gotten to where i wanted to be 3 or 4 minutes ago.Or IMO the volume of traffic in Adelaide has to be seen to be believed.Moan over,another delightful Tooheys beckons.

We have noticed on trips back to Adelaide that the volume of traffic has grown every time and is so much heavier than it was 10/15 years ago. Driving from my in-laws, if you wanted to do a right hand turn onto Tapleys Hill Road it was never a problem. But last year, I don't think we managed it once, my husband couldn't believe it, we always ended up giving up and turning left then going an alternative route. The road system was fine when the population was smaller and less people had cars. I think a major redesign/overhaul is needed, with some roundabouts thrown in to keep the traffic moving.

Your description though is identical to what happened to me a couple of months ago when I ventured into the north London suburbs. We missed a turn and it took ages to turn round and go back the other way, the volume of traffic was unbelievable. Living in the country I don't know how people cope with that day in day out - I'd go mad!!

Guest rachinadelaide

The traffic light system here is very clever (or the people who designed it are..!). It is an intelligent system and reads the traffic flow and adjusts the lights accordingly. I know this as my husband is an official 'nerd' and spend a lot of his time at the traffic control centre.

Don't get me started about trains....

Rach

Guest SA Great

Tell me about the trains!!! I am a bit of a train nerd, maybe your husband and i can take train numbers together!!! I once did every train line in adelaide from start to finish in one day, took about 8 hours!!! Can't believe i have just admitted that!!!!

Guest kellyp

Hi

Know where you are coming from. Just had a delightful trip to Canberra and noticed a distinct lack of traffic lights and lots of roundabouts instead. Makes for a nice easy traffic flow - until you come across the drivers who don't really know the driving rules of the roundabout!! Snap with the Tooheys, just got a cold one from the fridge myself. Enjoy your evening!

Kelly

Guest rachinadelaide

OK, OK I admit it - he talks about the trains non-stop but I don't listen! It just so happens that tonight he is riding the test train on the Belair line (hence me loitering in forumsville!!) as he has been working on the rail upgrade.

He will be very impressed by your admission! He has done the same but he does work in the industry so he has an excuse!! What's yours...?!!!???

Guest SA Great
    OK, OK I admit it - he talks about the trains non-stop but I don't listen! It just so happens that tonight he is riding the test train on the Belair line (hence me loitering in forumsville!!) as he has been working on the rail upgrade.

He will be very impressed by your admission! He has done the same but he does work in the industry so he has an excuse!! What's yours...?!!!???

I had a broken thumb and was off work sick, hmmm not a really good excuse but i did used to work at british rail in swindon!!

Guest rachinadelaide
    I had a broken thumb and was off work sick, hmmm not a really good excuse but i did used to work at british rail in swindon!!

Excuse accepted!! Sound as if you're a bit of a nerd too... (not an insult as I married one!). How many Hornby train sets do you own?