Guest joanna

nursing jobs in Adelaide

Guest joanna

Hi all,

This is my first post:D well at the moment me, hubby and 14 year old daughter (not forgetting Maisie our

staffie

daughter;))are planning on moving to Australia, we did think of Perth originally but the house prices seem much better in Adelaide and surrounding areas.

We will be renting at first but hope to get a mortgage in a year or so after moving. We will hopefully once we have sold our house in the UK be bringing around £50,000 with us. Which area would you all

recommend

, which are cheap for buying houses and also near hospitals?

I am a student nurse at present, just going into my final year (

hence

why i need to be near a hospital or within traveling distance from one!) and i hope to move over as soon as we can after i qualify in September 2008. Would they employ a newly qualified Nurse, i know some state they want at least 12 months experience but the way the job situation is in UK at present, it would be near impossible to find a

position

. I am willing to go on a

graduate

program if

that's

what it takes.

Also my husband is a blow moulding

technician

in plastics, though he is willing to turn his hands to anything-would it be hard for him to find work of any kind?

Last question honest! my daughter will be 15 when we move, how would she go about schooling she is very bright and really wants to continue her education does Oz have

equivalent

to A levels over there? she will be 15 when she leaves school in UK, being the youngest in her year.

Thanks in advance:rolleyes: love Joanna

xxxx

Guest dale_jo@

Hi JOanna!

I`d say if you want to be near a hospital try living near Noarlunga Hospital!

The surrounding suburbs would be Christies Beach, Port Noarlunga,Seaford,HUntfield Heights you could find reasonably priced housing there and also be near the hospital!

Cardign College just near the hospital is a very goood school!

GOOD LUCK

JO & DALE

Guest joanna

thanks so much for the info, will buy you both a beer when i get there xxx

Guest dale_jo@
    thanks so much for the info, will buy you both a beer when i get there xxx

Take you up on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest joanna

you supply the barbie and we will supply the beers!!

Guest dglamoore

There are a few large hospitals in Adelaide so I guess it would depend on which one you ended up working in. Flinders seems to be one of the large ones along with Queen Elizabeth and Royal Adelaide.

You can find more info here - http://www.adelaidebound.com/health.htm

There seems to be a lot affordable housing in the south but thanks to the expressway and main south road the commute into the city or to another hospital would not be too bad. Cannot comment on costs of housing in north so much as not looked into it I'm afraid.

There are lots of schools around the areas both public and private (as Cardjin is) so you will have plenty of choice. I think your best option is try to contact the hospitals for your options and find the work first and go from there as this would narrow down your suburbs for you within comuting distance :)

Not sure how the exams work over here as my little one is only 4 but there are plenty on here that will be able to help you out :D

Lisa:cool:

Guest dale_jo@
    you supply the barbie and we will supply the beers!!

ok not a problem

Guest The Francis clan

Hi Joanna,

Good luck with your final year-glad to say I don't work in the NHS any more-couldn't imagine anything worse than training and struggling to find a job-If I were you,ring a few of the recruitment agencies-there's loads in the Nursing times and Nursing standard/and the net and see what they say about experience-I know a few seem to be reducing the amount of experience you need.Also e-mail a few of the hospitals in Adelaide and explain your situation-a few have the graduate nursing programmes,so you might get some joy that way!

We're not planning to move til the end of next year,just saving the pennies!So have done loads of homework on hospitals,schools ETC.We really want to go but have decided to take our time-fortunately being a nurse does give you better options so don't give up hope!PM me if you like!Have also got a nurse friend who grew up in Adelaide and has been giving me the low down on stuff,so she might be able to help with any queries,she did say go with the public hospitals though!

Hannah:o

Guest The Francis clan

Hi Joanna,

Just found the link I was looking for-if you look at the 'South Australia central' website and click the healthcare link,you can bring up all the hospitals in the Adelaide area,have a look at the individual hospital websites as some lay out clearly their graduate nursing programme-ie The Burnside hospital has got a 2 page description of their programme and and you can also get e-mail addresses from here to-useful for those enquiries!

Hope this helps

Hannah

Guest joanna

hi Hannah,

thank you so much for your reply, yes i got told to try the public hospitals too. I emailed a few of the hospitals and it seems really optimistic, they said to apply online next June and if i am excepted they offer sponsorship for me and my family for the graduate program,they also said make sure to inform all other student nurses that are due to qualify to apply too!! ive emailed some in Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane so which ever i get accepted for i will accept.

A friend of mine who qualifies this September has been offered a job in Perth, to start next January so it looks good, though i would too imagine priority goes to Australian nurses.

Again thanks so much for all your help and i hope everything turns out OK for you, you must keep me informed on how it all turns out for you.

Love Joanna xxx

Guest The Francis clan

Hi Joanna,

Glad to hear you're getting some good feedback-I vaquely remember my final year-complete nightmare!but trust me it's all worth it in the end-will keep you updated-our main hold up is saving those pennies,so at this rate you could be out there before us !

Hannah

Guest Trakki

I can't imagine you will have any problems getting a job, even on a graduate programme. I am a RN (Child) and we are hoping to go to adelaide in April time. I have just registered with the Nursing board of South Australia and discovered that I do not need to get skill assessed by the ANMC aswell which will save a few pennies! I emailed hospitals with a copy of my CV and have had interest from them. Flinders which is where I wold like to work have told me to get in contact when I have my visa and they will set something concrete up about a job which is good. They confirmed what I had been told about not having to do the ANMC skill assessment once registered.

Hope that helps and good luck with the rest of your training

Tracey

Guest CARMEN

Just Go For It - A Future In The Nhs Or A Future In The Sunshine - Toughie That One But I'm Sure You've Already Decided!

I'm A Nurse Too And I Have Just Discovered Yesterday That One Of My Mates Is Wanting To Go To Perth, But Like Me, Said Nothing At Work For Fear Of The Boss Finding Out - At Last I Can Talk To Some One At Work, As Can She!!

Keep Persevering, I'm Still Waiting For My Assess. From The Anbsa And It Is Killing Me - Good Luck

Guest nickey and neill

hi joanna,

i too have just finished my 2nd year of nursing diploma.start final year in september! we are moving out hopefully next oct 2008. i am finishing my course first and we are going out on my husbands skilled visa. i wont have any post grad experience before i get there but have been in contact with flinders medical centre and the royal adelaide hospital. they both do the graduate programs which sound perfect for me as we would supervised for the first year. personally that is what i would prefer as i am not familiar with the aussie health system! i got very positive responses from them. they both have websites where you can download application forms etc. pm me if u need any more info. im sure you prob already know about the sa board of nurses....we can apply to them as soon as we have our nmc registration! good luck with the rest of your course. its nice to see that someone is in exactly the same situ as me!!!!

let me know what u end up doing!

Guest Denise 42

Hi

I'm on my way to Adelaide tomorrow night got a job at the RAH APPLIED THROUGH www.genevahealth.com.au they were great NO COST found me a job i have 3 years experiences in Mental Health

Guest jeannie oxford

hi joanna

we are off to adelaide for a reccie in feb for 3 weeks. we employed an agent in nov and are applying for permanent residence, should take around a year apparently. just waiting for huby's TRA to come through then on to next stage -hopefully. we prefer to do it this way as it gives us time to sell up and for the family to get used to the idea. we could get there a lot quicker if we went via a sponsored visa but prefer to do it this way.

we live near buxton but im originally from littleborough! my family still live in littleborough, hurstead and rochdale. in fact we are over at the bellavista for a meal on saturday for my 40th birthday! My dad is a driving instructor from l'boro -jack taylor?

ive been qualified as a nurse for 4 years, working at stepping hill in stockport as a gynae nurse. not too worried about what i do over there as long as its nursing. dont know if they accept newly qualified as it doesnt affect me so never really taken much notice. my sis in law is a student nurse at huddersfield, she lives in l'boro.

we are staying in huntfield heights but am planning to visit as many of the hospitals as poss while we are there to get a good feel of them. we'll have a tight schedule for 3 weeks! hubby's going to look round at job possibilities(welder) and we'll check out different areas for us to settle and schools for Jake (11) too. we were originally going to just do it - sell up and go! but common sense prevailed and we decided to give adelaide the once over - too far to go to realise we made a mistake! its not going to be cheap but im sure it will be worth every penny.

This forum is great by the way. we are hoping to meet up with loads of people we have been in contact with on it for a coffee or a cold one!

take care and good luck with everything

jeannie x

Hi both my hubby and I both work in nursing - hubby is an ICU nurse and I am a midwife. You should have no problems getting onto one of the graduate programmes here. Andy worked with a guy the other day (whilst doing an agency shift at Flinders who was on the graduate programme - he was working in ICU). As salaries go in Adelaide, a nursing salary (in my opinion) is pretty good and there is LOTS of agency work around that pays well (better than the UK!). I am still waiting for my registration (I did my nurse training at Birch Hill Hospital and my nursing school doesn't exist anymore - its taken the NMC at least 3 months to find me something!) Joanna I guess you are training at Rochdale, living in Littleborough (I know it well - and a lot of the people I trained with live and work in Rochdale!). We have bought land at Aldinga and are planning to start building this year sometime:D hopefully! We are renting in Seaford Rise at the moment. I would suggest that maybe you look South. Certainly the closer you get to the city the more expensive the houses become (IMO). If you are able to come out on a PR visa rather than a sponsored visa then I would suggest that you do this. We applied for PR independantly without the help of an agent and found the whole process to be pretty straightforward. I dont know whether this would be the case for you as you would need sponsorship on the graduate programme I guess.

Good news is nurses in Adelaide were granted a 16% pay rise over the next 3 years and last night on the news Kevin Rudd was banging on about needing to get more nurses into practise (there is even talk about paying ex nurses $6000 to return) which makes it even more likely that you will be offered a job and like I said there is LOTS of work around!

Good Luck if I can help in anyway let me know

Lindsey

Guest Amie Briggs

Hello Hannah

Have read with interest all your advice,as currently registering with the ANMC and aiming to do a bit of agency type thing if we decide to come out (waiting to visit first)

Anyway,i have been nursing 15years and currently am an acting Matron (yuck stress!!!) Searched the ANMC site for info on reg criteria eg Degree but there is non. been told to apply and they assess individually.is this right?

Trained before diploma degree days and have numerous courses but have never been arsed to get them accredited. Whoops

Is this a problem do you think

Yours in anticipation

Amie x(desperate to get out the NHS!)

Guest happy feet

Hi to those who have a year left,

i have just handed in my last assignment to-day:Dcan't believe i am nearly finished. I sent CV to agency through the nursing standard afew weeks ago, got a call the next day for interview in Manchester on March 7. Finish my training end of March and have a job to start straight away( Thankfully). I just want to move to Ad, never been before, but got to better than here. If i get the job, does anyone know how long it takes with a spon visa. I would really like to be out there by xmas.

Greatful for any replys. Good luck in your last year...

Cara (nearly nurse)

Darren (ground worker)

Ethan 9, not sure about the move yet! got his first girlfriend

Erin 6 cant wait:arghh:

Guest CARMEN

hi - what a feeling that is, handing in the last essay - total relief!! sounds like they want you girl! good luck and keep going!:arghh:

Guest happy feet
    hi - what a feeling that is, handing in the last essay - total relief!! sounds like they want you girl! good luck and keep going!:arghh:

Hi Carmen,

Thanks for the reply. Yes great feeling to hand in last assignment, but now the worry of waiting for the results.. Everything relies on this. Have been reading the forums to-day, not as easy as i thought. I had the impression that life would be alot cheaper downunder, but not so, not that it puts me off, quality of life will be better for us, and the kids come first.

Good Luck

Cara

Guest CARMEN

hi - yes some things are not as cheap as you think but i believe that you get better value for money on most things, and hey, the life you can give your kids, you just can't put a price on that!!