REAL Beer !!!

Guest guest569

Guest guest569

Every time the inlaws come over we get the whinging that they don't do REAL beer over here !!! He's obviously a bitter drinker and can't put up with a lager with his free accomodation !!!:shocked:

Well if anyone has inlaws that feel the same or if your a bitter drinker yourself i have found the answer..... No not f^*#k off back home :biglaugh: ..... Try Coopers vintage. its in BWS and is a little pricey at $24 for a 6 pack but is 7.9% and a real beer !!!:notworthy:

Guest ben&sharon
What is a really good larger out there, i tried VB which is disgusting, tooeys, which is ok, and coopers pale which i didnt really fancy but nothing that compears to my kronenburg. Any suggestions pease.

My OH is drinking Tooheys and seems to be enjoying it - he drank Carling or Carlsberg in the UK, so feels a bit spoilt at the moment...... x

My OH is drinking Tooheys and seems to be enjoying it - he drank Carling or Carlsberg in the UK, so feels a bit spoilt at the moment...... x

Tried a few but maybe after a few more Tooheys may be the one. There has got to be better out there though. (Carling and Carlsberg) would of thought he would of just got on the water. ;)

Guest motlyman

We drank stella in the uk.

When we got here we tried heaps of lagers and ended up with.................................

Stella:biglaugh:

Incidently we went to brewcraft and got a homebrew kit to try.

Tried it millions of years ago and it was awful but now its all easier (apparently)

We got a Stella recipe so we will see in a few weeks time.

Colin

Guest Django

Tried it millions of years ago and it was awful but now its all easier (apparently)

Thnking of doing the same so will look forward to your update in a few weeks time. ;)

Pete

Guest motlyman
Thnking of doing the same so will look forward to your update in a few weeks time. ;)

Pete

You may find me on a park bench somewhere with a brown paper bag and pickled liver:biglaugh:

Colin

Guest MarkIngram
We drank stella in the uk.

When we got here we tried heaps of lagers and ended up with.................................

Stella:biglaugh:

Colin

I'd love to have a go at this and making my own vino when I get out there...how much was the kit?

The last time I made some vino just one bottle of the stuff had me and a mate of mine pie-eyed...but it tasted great too.

Guest Wersal Gummage
Every time the inlaws come over we get the whinging that they don't do REAL beer over here !!! He's obviously a bitter drinker and can't put up with a lager with his free accomodation !!!:shocked:

Well if anyone has inlaws that feel the same or if your a bitter drinker yourself i have found the answer..... No not f^*#k off back home :biglaugh: ..... Try Coopers vintage. its in BWS and is a little pricey at $24 for a 6 pack but is 7.9% and a real beer !!!:notworthy:

The passionatepom is correct this is a very good substitute for Bitter drinkers. I have bought this for a few years now and there is a limited supply, only a few bottleos sell it and rest asured they will run out by the end of the summer.

One other I would like to mention is Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum, I know it sounds a bit Poofy but it goes down very easy. only sold in singles or 8 pack though.

Coopers Sparkling is another good alternative when the Vintage runs dry.

Here's a good link to ease your thirst.

http://www.beerstore.com.au/product.asp

Guest kerfumph

James Squire Amber. Lobethal Bierhaus Chocolate Malt Stout.

Guest ROBERT

Coopers sparkling is a good substitute for Stella"wifebeater"artois,if you want to fall over a lot late at night.Beware the cacky bits in the bottom though lol!!

Guest nishman

Coopers Dark or Stout, and Tooheys Old are nice tipples and readily available. Coopers Sparkling also is good if you're not looking for a dark beer, but not a lager either:goofy:

I do like a James Squires Amber though :)

Been brewing mine own for a while now using the Coopers/Tooheys kits. Some great successes on the browner ales, especially the Stout which has a great "burnt chocolate" taste. Some may think it a little heavy for the 40°C days though :cute: IMO the "Real Ale" is a great alrounder.

When it get's that hot any P155 will do (within reason) - Carton cold or TED's (anything but West End/VB/4X really) are pretty good a slaking the thirst and as they're often on "offfer" won't break the bank:jiggy:

Guest mantis88

I've found bottled Bombardier and youngs in my local booze brothers! Well chuffed as is everyone else as it's stopped me moaning about the god aufal beer out here!

What is a really good larger out there, i tried VB which is disgusting, tooeys, which is ok, and coopers pale which i didnt really fancy but nothing that compears to my kronenburg. Any suggestions pease.

Cascade premium (not the light veresion) is a great lager.

Guest motlyman
I'd love to have a go at this and making my own vino when I get out there...how much was the kit?

The last time I made some vino just one bottle of the stuff had me and a mate of mine pie-eyed...but it tasted great too.

The kit was from Brewcraft Clovelly park. There is one in Morphet Vale too, both on the South Rd.

The kit was $180 and that included everything to get you brewing. There was a cheaper one but the capper was rubbish. You can choose any recipe kit on show to go with it in with the price. There were stacks to choose from so i told the guy i drink stella, what do you recomend? He showed me the recipe kit called stella artois recipe so thats what we chose. Once its ready for bottling you need to purchase some bottles. The caps and capper are in the kit. I have been saving my beer bottles so i have plenty.

It works out that the cost of the recipe kit $54 will make about 3 cartons. (about 3 for the price of 1)

Apparently wine is harder to make? So we chose the larger to try first.

Colin (Looking for a local AA:biglaugh:)

Guest Martin and Val

My favorite topic Beer! :jiggy:

If you like real ale take a trip to The Port Dock Brewery in Port Adelaide. They sell some real strange stuff I can tell you. http://www.portdockbreweryhotel.com.au/ Went there the other week and had a pretty good meal along with many different beers! For just $10 you can have the Beer Platter which consists of 6x 200ml glasses of each of there beers served to your table along with a beer menu and guide. Ginga, Black Bart, Black Diamond, Port Dock Ale, The Old Preacher 7.6% :goofy: and Hop Field. Great laugh and although I'm not a real ale drinker normally I would do it again without a doubt.

Also take a look at this old thread with loads of useful suggestions on the best past time event ever.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9707

I've bought a carton of VB for this week hope I don't regret it!

Beers

Martin 10_7_6.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYAU

As you say,Tooheys is OK,but the two good earthy Largers i like are Coopers and Chang beer.

Guest Pommiebastard

The only local beer I drink is Cooper's Sparkles....full of yeast, but if you shake the bejesus out of it, let it rest for 60 seconds then pour. You forget about the lumps after 5 or 6 stubbies anyway.:goofy:

Other than that it's imports all the way...Larfinbrau, Heinekin (sp?) & Stella.

Guest Rob and Clare

I pretty much like any of the beers except for Coopers. I'll even drink West End when it's on special..

But my favourite Aussie beers are the tasmanian beers, James Boag Premium, and Cascade Premium, and I also enjoy a crown lager.

Pure Blonde is quite nice though if you want to convince youself your keeping the carbs in check whilst drinking 10 pints...

My favorite topic Beer! :jiggy:

If you like real ale take a trip to The Port Dock Brewery in Port Adelaide. They sell some real strange stuff I can tell you. http://www.portdockbreweryhotel.com.au/ Went there the other week and had a pretty good meal along with many different beers! For just $10 you can have the Beer Platter which consists of 6x 200ml glasses of each of there beers served to your table along with a beer menu and guide. Ginga, Black Bart, Black Diamond, Port Dock Ale, The Old Preacher 7.6% :goofy: and Hop Field. Great laugh and although I'm not a real ale drinker normally I would do it again without a doubt.

Also take a look at this old thread with loads of useful suggestions on the best past time event ever.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9707

I've bought a carton of VB for this week hope I don't regret it!

Beers

Martin 10_7_6.gif

Martin

If you get a chance head out to Lobethal one weekend - there's a great new microbrewery there, really nice people running it, always happy to chat about their beers. http://www.ahcb.com.au/

Nice one down at Goolwa too. http://www.steamexchange.com.au/

Diane

Coopers Dark or Stout, and Tooheys Old are nice tipples and readily available. Coopers Sparkling also is good if you're not looking for a dark beer, but not a lager either:goofy:

I do like a James Squires Amber though :)

Been brewing mine own for a while now using the Coopers/Tooheys kits. Some great successes on the browner ales, especially the Stout which has a great "burnt chocolate" taste. Some may think it a little heavy for the 40°C days though :cute: IMO the "Real Ale" is a great alrounder.

When it get's that hot any P155 will do (within reason) - Carton cold or TED's (anything but West End/VB/4X really) are pretty good a slaking the thirst and as they're often on "offfer" won't break the bank:jiggy:

Only been on a reccie BUT....as a bitter or guinness drinker ive got to agree the tooheys old was by far the best imo!much better than paying $7 or even $9 for a can of the black stuff in the pub!