Guest Nicky&Andy

insurance for shipping !!!!!!!

Guest Nicky&Andy

hi, just had shipers out for a quote, i nearly choked when they said how much the insurance was, £1,200 on a 20ft container,

has anyone gone without insurance, or just insured what they really think is worth insuring, we worked out the only things worth insuring are only about £5,000 worth , at 3% that works out alot less than £1,200, if the odd cup or plate gets broken were not too worried, as these things are easily replaced

is it possible to do this way any advice very welcome

nicky

most companies i have spoken to ask you to value your own stuff and then rush you 2.8% of the total value for standard insurance.probably only worth itemising anything that is half decent

Guest Nicky&Andy

thats what i thought of doing, got another company coming tomorrow will ask them

thanks

nicky

Maybe we're totally naive but we've just taken a chance and gone without insurance... :unsure:

having said that - our stuff is somewhere on the high seas right now so couldn't tell you if we were right to wing it without or not!!:err:

Guest mOZzy

i am sitting over the insurance forms right now and thinking the same thing.

we've decided to just insure the tv and the appliances - everything else is really not worth the effort!

just a silly question: why do i have to insure my own removal costs???

Guest Nicky&Andy

thanks cint&mark, i know there is alot of what ifs, but to know youve done what were thinking, means it can be done,

mozzy i know where your coming from, i assumed it was all in the container price, they quoted us based on £40,000 worth of stuff per 20ft container, we struggled to make £5,000 and then we just added a bit extra on, lol

ive got pss coming tomorrow (thurs) so see if they use the same approach, they must get commission on the insurance they sell

Guest Tina P
    hi, just had shipers out for a quote, i nearly choked when they said how much the insurance was, £1,200 on a 20ft container,

has anyone gone without insurance, or just insured what they really think is worth insuring, we worked out the only things worth insuring are only about £5,000 worth , at 3% that works out alot less than £1,200, if the odd cup or plate gets broken were not too worried, as these things are easily replaced

is it possible to do this way any advice very welcome

nicky

Hi

We used Pickfords and had 1/2 of a container, we didn't have insurance and everything arrive as it left the uk.

We just saw it as money we could do without spending and if anything did get damaged, well nothing we had was that expensive to replace.

90%+ of everthing we brought over has now been replaced - it is over 2yrs ago though.

Tina

Guest TC for short

Individually things may not be hard to replace, however just wander around your house with a calculator and add up what it would cost you to replace EVERYTHING. You will be shocked at how much it adds up to. Just take one bookcase - 100 books at an average £20 each =£2000. How many CDs have you got? DVDs?

Not trying to scare anyone - you could buy no insurance at all & everything turns up ok. Or you could watch a re-run of the Napoli and lose everything. While we were waiting for our things to arrive I was sure some Somali pirate was sitting on MY sofa watching MY TV!

We moved with top-end companies each way. I think our claim in Australia was about $5000 and coming back it is even higher. Dents and scratches in furniture. Dented tumble-dryer. Dented dishwasher (I'm not talking minor dings here). Even completely lost cartons & missing jewellery.

I would say that for the peace of mind and compensation against the worst case scenario, that 2 or 3% is worth it.

TC

As TC says, think of replacing EVERYTHING in your container. If the very worst should happen and your container gets lost, you have nothing at all, yet still have to pay shipping costs, that is a scary thought!

We used a broker called Spedding Goldthorpe, can't remember who we were insured with through them, some shipping insurer, didn't need to use them, so can't comment on claims process, but it was a lot cheaper than the shipping company insurance. Just listed major items, plus a bit, to ensure we had some cover.

Guest Tina P

Mmm TC for short, made me think - if we were to move back to the uk I would insure everything as all my furniture is new now.

The things we brought over from the uk weren't and we didn't have a huge cd, book or dvd collection. Just 1/2 container.

Don't take this the wrong way but if they were top end companies how come they did so much damage ?

Tina

Guest Nicky&Andy

thanks everyone , lots for me to consider, maybe just to insure a small amount, all this thinking is causing my brain to turn to marsh mallow every things going in but nothings comming out

Guest TC for short

No worries Tina!

We used Michael Gerson UK end & Kent Aus end outbound to Aus. Grace coming back. I didn't have much choice because I was working for the Aus government & they were the preferred suppliers.

Some of the damage has been done (probably) by customs, particularly at the Australian end. Some was done by the removalists just not reading the "fragile" signs on the boxes. Fridge-freezer & tumble drier were both dropped on their bottoms - not heavily but enough to strip the thread on the adjustable foot on the front of the fridge so it now has to have a piece of wood under it, & enough to put a large dent in baseplate of the drier.

Coming back it looks more as though the damage was just from squashing things in too much - wooden furniture was dented, scratched & corners crushed. Also some expensive jewellery has disappeared.

Outbound the insurance claims were handled very quickly & with minimum fuss. Inbound we're having a bit more difficulty, possibly due to the insurers being in Australia.

I don't know why reputable companies should be like this. One thing I found out was that the packing teams are paid "per job" no matter how long it takes, so obviusly they'd rather do things quicker to move on to the next job, rather than take time & care.

TC

out of the quotes weve had pss seem to be the best all round.wasnt that impressed with the guy from somalia shipping co.hard to talk to a bloke with a patch on his eye and a parrot on his shoulder