Guest Gemma

Graduate nursing, timing of arrival

Guest Gemma

Hi,

Sorry major editing of this post as completly confused now :err: been reading the advice booklet:confused:

When applying for employer sponsered visa can i apply once qualified as a nurse in this country or do i have to wait til registered as a nurse with SA?

On the info it says...

The department will also assess the visa application against the following:

• that the nominee is able to satisfy any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements;

Was hoping to come out in jan 2011 straight after qualifying but obviuosly won't have visa or registration by then so could be tricky!

As above; however i would recommend about 6 months UK practice first................many hospitals run a graduate programme here, but the UK process is quicker, from my understanding.

Good luck.

Guest guest3462

As far as i understand you have to have at least 12 months of qualified practice under your belt to pass the skills assessment, otherwise you will have to do a graduate course here which could be costly! I might be wrong, but your best bet would be to email the NBSA who do the assessments and ask them for their fulfilling criteria.

Guest Gemma

Thanks for the replys.

I have contacted hospitals and they do accept you onto their graduate nursing programe (12 months transistion into nursing) with no experience. It was just the Visa i was unsure of but it does seem you can apply for that at the same time as your nursing registration with south austalia...so basically i can apply for a graduate job next yr and then as soon as i get my pin (jan 11) i should be able to apply.

I do understand what you mean about getting experience first and i think i could be a lot more selective in where i worked if i has some experience, its just my husband is fed up in his job and our girls are not getting any younger, we figure the sooner we go for it the better! The thought of newly qualified and new country is quite scary but there graduate yr is much better than the practcally non exsistent preceptorship here!....