Why are the clothes so bad??!!!

Guest Zako999

Guest Zako999

Hi all,

I'm 15 years old and love new fashionable clothes but all the Australian clothes shops just seem not my cup of tea!! Is eBay the best solution to get English clothes here?

Your tastes and needs may change with the different lifestyle here. There probably isn't as much choice as you are used to. Our visit to Top Shop in Oxford St in London was insane(due to the sales and girls just trying on stuff where they stood). However my daughters get stuff sent from Topshop here and the postage is only 7 pounds I think. It usually arrives within a week.

You will probably also have to get used to paying more than you are used to for clothes. Have you looked in Myer in the city, they carry some of the more interesting brands. David Jones also has some different stuff, it depends what you are after and whether you are a girl or the other sort :).

People dress a lot more casually here in general, especially in the summer. Otherwise suggest to your parents that a holiday in Melbourne is in order and check out The Basement in Myer there plus they have clearance shops there.

Guest Fancy a Beer

Ebay UK is great I use it all the time to get stuff sent over!! Certainly keeps me sane when it comes to finding kids clothes there is so little choice here for my kids ages!

The cost is alot cheaper than what you pay in the shops here for clothes that are no where near as good quality!!

Your style does change as mentioned before but there is nothing wrong in wearing something different to all the other kids here in Adelaide!!

Yep that is true. When my daughters were little, I always bought them Italian boots from a little shoeshop up near Magill and French clothes from David jones ( in the sales :) ) However when they started school, it was mainly summer stuff they needed more of as they were in school uniform most of the year. I love Ebay for finding allsorts of unusual things.

Guest the4hopes

As far as I know the clothes in Target are like Top Shop. But I think the good thing is that there is no definite fashion here the clothes are all very different and no one cares, even my 2 teenage daughters say that.

Guest Fancy a Beer
As far as I know the clothes in Target are like Top Shop. But I think the good thing is that there is no definite fashion here the clothes are all very different and no one cares, even my 2 teenage daughters say that.

Not sure I agree with the Target is like Top Shop bit, but def agree with the there is no fashion here and no one cares, the state of so many kids/adults here is quite scarey!! There is nothing wrong with taking a bit of pride and care in your appearance, so many here could take a leaf out of that book!! ;)

Guest EHumphreys

Hi, I must say that my girls have clothes from Next that we brought with us here and I've seen pretty much exactly the same items in Pumpkin Patch and Target. Pumpkin Patch have an older girl range that go up to 16 years old and there's nice things there.

Yup,

Atrocious design and poor quality in the main,and the prices are unbelievable,Primark quality for Versace prices ! Must say though,the ladies all look great as they have greater choice,but the fellas stuff!The trainers have to be seen to be believed,wouldnt pay a nicka for them back home,but a snip at 150 dollars here (sale price).

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I have to say I have been here 3 1/2 yrs and couldnt wait to go back and do some "proper" shopping in Primark, Matalan, Asda etc. I wont say Next cos I have never been a fan...for me personally too expensive for not much better quaility.

Anyway back I went with a nearly empty case and guess what??? I was totally let down, in fact the only shop to pass my test was M&S!.

T shirts in Primark and matalan, were the same price and quaility of "factorie" in Marion. I got a pair of combats for £14 in Peacocks, easily same quaility of Target and the same price.

I spent the day shopping with my friend and her 17 yr old so went in all the fashionable shops, got back here and went to marion with my 17 yr old and all the fashions are coming in here the same as they have just had for summer in UK.

My only clothes bargain, I hate to say, was from M&S. I got a combat type skirt for £12. I could not get that here in target for the price.

However I still do think underwear here is very poor quaility and very expensive.

Guest the4hopes
Not sure I agree with the Target is like Top Shop bit, but def agree with the there is no fashion here and no one cares, the state of so many kids/adults here is quite scarey!! There is nothing wrong with taking a bit of pride and care in your appearance, so many here could take a leaf out of that book!! ;)

My daughter has bought many items same as Top Shop, it is quite a relief for teenage girls to be out of the pressure of feeling like they have to dress "the same" so for girls there is a lot of choice.

I'm over in the UK at the moment. I used to be a Next and River Island girl. Oh how your taste changes after shopping in places like Target and BigW. I went to Next and hated their clothing range and the prices were ridiculous! I would never pay $45 for a t-shirt! So I went to Primark and couldn't believe the prices, how cheap!! and the fashion was exactly the same as I'd left Adelaide with the same the quality too. Australia is certainly being ripped off! A lot of the clothing stores in the UK reminded me of Supre and Dotti with the same fashion in there so I wouldn't say Australia is behind in that respect. For the new arrivals, it is hard to find that shop that suits you but I have always returned to Target as my preferred place.

• 2 years later...
Guest loopylisa

There is WAY more choice in the UK. The fashions are behind in oz. overpriced and target is nothing like topshop. Australia has alot but there is no way you ca even begin to imagine the choice is anything like the UK. The UK is a much bigger market for a start...

I think of it in terms of when its hot in SA, who really wants to wear layers like you might during a UK summer? You know its not going to get pretty chilly later or that the temp is going to go under 24C or some such. Whereas in the UK we are far more seasonal in terms of what we wear, we tend to need more.

Coat, sweater, shirt, skirt, tights, boots. All what I would wear out on a early spring or late autumn day in the UK. In Adelaide at the same time I was wearing a tee shirt and jeans or skirt and a pair of sandals or trainers. Wearing all those layers would have been stupid.

I don't do high fashion anyways. But in Aus I dress for the weather same as I do in the UK. Only my wardrobe is far more basic in terms of how much I need and will wear.

Fashion designers generally design for 'seasons' and so of course we get spring, summer, autumn and winter shoved down our throats. But really in Aus you often don't need the spring and autumn stuff as much as we might in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. Same in any hot climate, people tend to dress to be practical and cool. Fashion is secondary for many then. I have family in Thailand and they don't wear the same stuff as we would. Same in Spain. And in the rainy season its hot humid and sticky so why would anyone wear anything clingy or thick? Fashion doesn't make real allowances for climate generally, its fashion, often stupid, outrageous, pointless or not really practical or flattering.

I think a key thing is invest in good basics, even if you spend a bit more, they can last for years and be dressed up or down with jewellery, a scarf, jacket or some such. Well cut jeans, tee shirts in a cut that suits your shape, a few shirts, skirts and so on and its timeless and practical. Far more than those poncy skirts they were selling this summer looked like a pom pom. I've been wearing some stuff for years now and am still getting wear out of it. The Primark stuff fell apart eons ago, the M&S, White Stuff and not so cheap and nasty stuff is still wearing well.

I did find in Adelaide the shops didn't have the range I was used to, but I still found some nice places and could have happily bought stuff that I liked. Quality might be an issue but hopefully I'll find a few places. However, as I only tend to buy stuff a couple of times a year now it won't really bother me if the range isn't as good as the UK. I'll stock up on some cheap summer tees and shorts before we move and bring everything else also :) My large winter wardrobe won't see as much use as it does here but at least it'll last a long time :cute:

My large winter wardrobe won't see as much use as it does here but at least it'll last a long time :cute:

That might be wishful thinking - I have worn all my winter gear here, except for a couple of really thick polo neck jumpers. My son plays soccer and I have endured some very cold mornings watching him play, complete with gloves, woolly hat and scarf, wishing that I brought my thermal lined wellies with me! Even in the summer you often need to take a cardigan or jacket out with you in the evenings. It can cool down really quickly - it's not like Spain where you have balmy evenings all through summer.

That might be wishful thinking - I have worn all my winter gear here, except for a couple of really thick polo neck jumpers. My son plays soccer and I have endured some very cold mornings watching him play, complete with gloves, woolly hat and scarf, wishing that I brought my thermal lined wellies with me!

No, really, its vast. That was what I was meaning. I have so much winter stuff it really won't see as much wear as it gets in the UK. Its almost 5 months a year I am wearing some form of winter/thicker clothing. I'm expecting to wear it all, just not for as long. Hence it not seeing as much use :cute:

Honestly, I have 2 duck down jackets, one duck down gilet, 3 other gilets, 5 coats of various descriptions, a huge pile of thick chunky sweaters, a huge pile of sweaters and wool jumpers. Tights in thick wool, thick nylons, thin ones and more. And socks with about 10 thermal pairs to use. Throw in waterproofs, 3 pairs of wellies and waterproof jackets then yeah, I have masses of stuff.

I am a country girl. Lived and worked on a farm for many years, lived rural long after that. We didn't have central heating and so layering and wrapping up from October onwards till the end of March was the norm.

Yes,the thing to remember if you are about to come here soon,is that the quality and choice of clothes is not as good as back home,so bring all you can.Also bring your winter clothes if poss,as it really does get cold here for quite a few months.

Hehe I plan to stock up gradually till we move over. I've a large wardrobe anyways and am sure I'll be buying some more 3/4 lengths, tops and dresses before our move. Also shoes, socks and undies are on the list. :>