secular private schools

Guest jen&ian

Guest jen&ian

Been looking at some of the private schools in the southern suburbs recently, they are so much more affordable than in the UK. They do all seem to be church run though, do they just not do secular schools in the private sector? any info would be much appreciated.

Jen:)

Guest Zippy

Hi Jen.

THis info relates to most of Adelaide:

There seem to be 3 types of school ownership in Adelaide - public (state-run), independent (quite religious, fees usually around $3000 AUD a year, often run by the catholic church), and private (the big 10 or so private schools which can be boarding or day schools, often between $10 000 AUD and $15 000 AUD a year). Public schools are obviously non-religious (though often have christian chaplains in the staff team), independent schools are usually highly affiliated with a church or religious institution (prices of fees are often subsidised by this religion), and the traditional, large private schools can be a mix: most are slightly affiliated with a religion, but they all accept people of any faith and are very tolerant (some don't even have compulsory chappel services). Of course, the particular denomination that any of these schools is affiliated with can determine how religiously tolerant the school community is (Uniting Church private schools are very well known for being open). There are very few private schools that have no religious affiliation at all, but Eynesbury College (in Adelaide's city centre) is one of them (it's also just a year 10 - 13 college). Roo1 mentioned Woodcroft College is in the south, but I don't know any info about it.

I would say that most of the private schools you talk about in the southern suburbs fit into the independent category I mentioned (church-run and low fees).

I am not sure how far south you are looking at, but I know of a great school in McLaren Vale area (about 50 kilometres south of Adelaide's central business district) called Tatachilla College. It is Christian-based but open to all religions. I've never been to this school, but I have seen its very impressive sports fields and buildings and have heard great reports about its fun, friendly teaching.

In case you don't know any schools in the south, some other southern colleges I know about are Southern Vales, Woodcroft College and Westminster College (big private school).

Sorry, bit of a rambling post, but hopefully it gives you some help.

Cheers,

Zippy

Guest dale_jo@
Been looking at some of the private schools in the southern suburbs recently, they are so much more affordable than in the UK. They do all seem to be church run though, do they just not do secular schools in the private sector? any info would be much appreciated.

Jen:)

Hi Jen,

You`ve got numerous schools in the southern suburbs,Cardijn College,Tatachilla Lutheran,WoodcroftCollege,St Martin De Porre,All Saints,Emmaus,ETC!

Yes they all sem to have a religious undertone to them as alot are government supported also.

Woodcroft isn`t religious and also quite affordable $5000.00p/year, The best thing to do is go on their websites and see which one suits your kids needs.

Good Luck

Guest jen&ian

Thanks for the replies they gave me some useful background info. I'm just looking foward to getting out there and having a look around for myself now!

Jen :)

Guest dale_jo@
Thanks for the replies they gave me some useful background info. I'm just looking foward to getting out there and having a look around for myself now!

Jen :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!