Aquacatrina

Where to buy a bucket and spade in the middle of winter!

After 3 trips to different beaches (Noarlunga, Brighton and Glenelg) all our 4 year old son wanted to do was build his first australian sandcastle - but it being the middle of winter, they weren' to be found anywhere!

Finally found a great selection at a toy shop yesterday in Glenelg - "Imagine This "(I think), right at the beach end of jetty road, next to the moseley square tram stop. well worth a visit and I can personally vouch for the scoop spade!

Next thing is to hunt in the tackle shops for a crab line - saw some massive crabs in a bucket on Brighton jetty. Nate is a crabbing expert in Conwy, North Wales - 43 crabs in under an hour using crab lines and bait of smoked bacon in a laundry tablet net bag. Wonder if Aussie crabs have the same taste for bacon?:v_SPIN:

Theres a bait shop down beach road, Christies beach(just past fasta pasta)...nice people in there and always willing to give you a bit of advice.

Jo

Guest Guest75

You'll have some fun with the crabs then!!:)

Mainly Sancrabs off the jetties.

Blue crabs are just awesome but have a real attitiude and can really nip!:arghh:

Call into a tackle shop and ask for a free booklet on bag limits and catch sizes - there are restrictions.

And be very careful as i dnt think you are allowed to use meat as bait, even if its for crabs...the bait can only be from the sea.....i am sure thats what it says in the book.

Good luck anyhows

HG

Guest seekingsunshine

hi catrin!, matthew and nate!just had to post when i read your thread!i was at conwy yesterday checking out everyones buckets! all full of crabs - and bacon was the most popular bait!my twins (3) were fascinated!we've never done crabbing before but we'll definetely be crabbing when we get to adelaide!

hope your little boy is enjoying the beaches - i live in north wales (nr caerwys) and my tw love the beach but have only been twice this year - weather is rubbish! cant wait to arrive in a few weeks and looking forward to summer!

Guest Fancy a Beer
    And be very careful as i dnt think you are allowed to use meat as bait, even if its for crabs...the bait can only be from the sea.....i am sure thats what it says in the book.

Good luck anyhows

HG

Is it becoz the sharks like it????? :err::goofy:

Guest Guest75

Good luck anyhows

HG

Deffo no meat - just any bait from the sea.

Try Squidding off the jetties as well - great fun and very messy at times.

:wubclub:

Guest Rob&SamThomas

Try BIG W, I saw them a few weeks ago so you may still be lucky.

Sam