Channel 7 A DISGRACE!!!!!

Guest Roo1

Guest Jamie&Carrie

Just saw the advert for the 1st time funnily enough it came on as i was reading this post. I wonder if the british media are aware of it and i also wonder if the bulger family know that the footage is being used to promote a tv series.

of course there is Marty, and if you read the previous posts, i have used mine.

Many thanks for your understanding in this; hopefully there wont be ANY reason for you to use yours.

Of course, you're probably a reader of thesun "newspaper", more to be pitied than scoffed at!

Hi,

No I don't read the Sun, only the Australian and may be the Advertiser once of twice a month, I do understand what you want, Ch7 to pull the promo all I meant was what I said, if you don't like it switch off and complain to the powers that be, this site is meant for discussion not sarcastic remarks like yours.

Guest Kazzarazza

I do understand that we have seen that footage many times back when this awful crime happened and that we see horrific bombings regularly on the news and there is perhaps nothing wrong with us being reminded of such terrible crimes in order to remind us to be on our guard - but it is the fact they are showing this to promote a tv show - it is disgusting and it is wrong in my opinion to be used in this way.

Don't you think the story line itself will also help remind parents how quickly things like this could happen - anywhere, anytime. You admit yourself, that you saw this footage many times back in the UK. But this isn't the UK and most people here probably haven't seen it. The storyline (which nobody has seen yet) could well have a positive effect if it reminds parents of the dangers out there and saves just one life then isn't that a good thing.

We all know television uses real-life events in storytelling. Almost every single US crime show (of which there are too many to mention) uses real life events and we are bombarded with them every day in news programmes. If you want your TV to consist of nothing but trashy Big Brother or So You Think You Can Dance or Make Me A Supermodel then I wouldn't just use the Off button, I'd get rid of the TV altogether. And for Scousemouse to be so abusive to Marty because you come from Liverpool and 21 million people in Aus are supposed to know that you might be affected by the connection - The Sun is a UK paper, and one to be really proud of isn't it - and you'll probably find most Aussies have never seen that before either.

Guest Kazzarazza

Why has one of Marty's replies been deleted? There was nothing offensive or abusive in it at all and I don't believe it broke any forum rules (unlike the one he was replying to, which had already been edited by a moderator!)

Guest Libby1971

1. Roo is well on the case

2. Yes the British media are aware of it all coz I rang them

3. Complaints from the public has had a reaction before...a British distributor of an American game using the same footage was withdrawn from sale and the US company issued an apology following complaints from the public and the family.

4. Channel 7 are not taking this seriously and basically don't understand why people are upset

5. The comment about an 'off button' is exactly why many people are upset on this site...maybe you cannot remember the horror and distress of the case or you just were not as affected as the majority were over the whole nightmare. Either way, the response of the majority on this site goes to show why the time is not right for something like this, it is too soon, maybe in another 20 years time they could do this and not get the same strength of response but right now, it is not right.

Sorry everyone, I am guilty of biting at a post and lowering myself to the standards of people I hate on this site. I was only having a nosey on PIA as I haven't been on for so long and I ended up doing what I hate so much about this whole thing.

Sorry for the language (this has been removed), It's just something that got to me.

Guest SA Great
Sorry everyone, I am guilty of biting at a post and lowering myself to the standards of people I hate on this site. I was only having a nosey on PIA as I haven't been on for so long and I ended up doing what I hate so much about this whole thing.

Sorry for the language (this has been removed), It's just something that got to me.

Who do you hate on this site?

Don't you think the story line itself will also help remind parents how quickly things like this could happen - anywhere, anytime. You admit yourself, that you saw this footage many times back in the UK. But this isn't the UK and most people here probably haven't seen it. The storyline (which nobody has seen yet) could well have a positive effect if it reminds parents of the dangers out there and saves just one life then isn't that a good thing.

We all know television uses real-life events in storytelling. Almost every single US crime show (of which there are too many to mention) uses real life events and we are bombarded with them every day in news programmes. If you want your TV to consist of nothing but trashy Big Brother or So You Think You Can Dance or Make Me A Supermodel then I wouldn't just use the Off button, I'd get rid of the TV altogether. And for Scousemouse to be so abusive to Marty because you come from Liverpool and 21 million people in Aus are supposed to know that you might be affected by the connection - The Sun is a UK paper, and one to be really proud of isn't it - and you'll probably find most Aussies have never seen that before either.

Have i missed something? i dont think scousemouse was saying "21 million people are supposed to know about the connection" was she? from what i can gather any sense of anger has been directed at the programme makers,not the population of australia.

Guest guest3462

Guys,

this is a highly emotive and sensitive subject that has obviously touched many people during this thread, but I think it had been taken to anther level now and feel that the moderators ought to look at this more carefully before more peoples feelings get hurt. I am in total agreement that channel 7 have been completely insensitive to Jamie and his family and also agree that it ought to be removed from screens, but on the other hand I can now see that this is turning into a battle of personal opinons where undoubtedly somone is going to get hurt.

Perhaps it is time to think about something different to discuss?

Julia

Guys,

this is a highly emotive and sensitive subject that has obviously touched many people during this thread, but I think it had been taken to anther level now and feel that the moderators ought to look at this more carefully before more peoples feelings get hurt. I am in total agreement that channel 7 have been completely insensitive to Jamie and his family and also agree that it ought to be removed from screens, but on the other hand I can now see that this is turning into a battle of personal opinons where undoubtedly somone is going to get hurt.

Perhaps it is time to think about something different to discuss?

Julia

Maybe some people could show a little bit of "tact" when they are posting replies? They know full well that some on here have been realy wound up on this subject,but still insist on posting offhand idiotic replies,no wonder they got "abusive" replies themselves.

Guest Kazzarazza
Have i missed something? i dont think scousemouse was saying "21 million people are supposed to know about the connection" was she? from what i can gather any sense of anger has been directed at the programme makers,not the population of australia.

Yes they were - they made the comment about being Scouse and from Liverpool and being sensitive about a slight on their "home" city then they insulted someone who probably didn't know what they were on about. Just as a co-incidence, the word Scouse was brought up in conversation at work the other day (by me) and the people I work with didn't know what a Scouse was - never heard of it before! From what I have seen of the two second reference to an un-named child, it is not senstional or insensitive advertising - it is part of the story line. I still maintain, doing a similar story could be a postive way of reminding parents of the need to always remain vigilent.

Unfortnuately you've come in late and missed out on a couple of posts that have been deleted. This has somewhat changed the dynamics of the thread.

Yes they were - they made the comment about being Scouse and from Liverpool and insulted someone who probably didn't know what they were on about. Just as a co-incidence, the word Scouse was brought up in conversation at work the other day (by me) and the people I work with didn't know what a Scouse was - never heard of it before!

Unfortnuately you've come in late and missed out on a couple of posts that have been deleted. This has somewhat changed the dynamics of the thread.

Im pretty sure they dont know what scouse means,and yes i have missed some posts,but im just asking........ did scousemouse say that 21 million people should "make the connection"?btw can i ask where you are from originally?

Guest Kazzarazza
Im pretty sure they dont know what scouse means,and yes i have missed some posts,but im just asking........ did scousemouse say that 21 million people should "make the connection"?btw can i ask where you are from originally?

Can't really see what the relevance is, but I'm originally from Bolton. However, I have been here for 19 years, and like Marty and millions of others, missed out on all the media bombardment that you were obviously exposed to.

The reaction on here, to a two second clip of something that happened 16 years ago has been taken totally out of context and has left me stunned. As you are still in Liverpool, I assume you haven't seen it and as stated previously you have missed out on a couple of other posts.

Can't really see what the relevance is, but I'm originally from Bolton. However, I have been here for 19 years, and like Marty and millions of others, missed out on all the media bombardment that you were obviously exposed to.

The reaction on here, to a two second clip of something that happened 16 years ago has been taken totally out of context and has left me stunned. As you are still in Liverpool, I assume you haven't seen it and as stated previously you have missed out on a couple of other posts.

Well its all about opinion i suppose isnt it? All im saying is that in view of the fact that some people on here ARE very wound up about the subject,dont you think that other people could have shown a bit of "tact" in their replies considering we are talking about a little boy who was tortured to death for hours?instead of the usual "helpfull" stance of "havnt you got a remote"?As i asked before........"did scousemouse say that 21 million people are supposed to make the connection"? because that is what you stated as fact in one of your replies, i know she stated it was a slight on lpool,but that doesnt have to mean she's saying the whole population of oz would make the connection does it?

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi guys

I was deeply saddened by the Bulger case and do think it quite dis-tasteful of Channel 7, but decided not to comment on this thread initially.

What I really don't understand about members of the site, is why they feel the need to comment on threads that really don't interest them?? I read something on another thread, posted by Django that said if the thread doesn't interest you, skip it and don't comment, rather than run the risk of causing a commotion.

If more people took Pete's advice, the forum would be a much nicer place right now.

If you support Judi in her plight, then say so and make the call OR don't say so and make the call. If you don't agree with her, read the thread, shrug your shoulders and move on.

Come on guys, this is getting out of hand.

Mandy

Guest happy feet
Hi guys

I was deeply saddened by the Bulger case and do think it quite dis-tasteful of Channel 7, but decided not to comment on this thread initially.

What I really don't understand about members of the site, is why they feel the need to comment on threads that really don't interest them?? I read something on another thread, posted by Django that said if the thread doesn't interest you, skip it and don't comment, rather than run the risk of causing a commotion.

If more people took Pete's advice, the forum would be a much nicer place right now.

If you support Judi in her plight, then say so and make the call OR don't say so and make the call. If you don't agree with her, read the thread, shrug your shoulders and move on.

Come on guys, this is getting out of hand.

Mandy

well said Mandy,

It seems this sight has become a slagging match for some and abit of entertainment for others.........Makes me laugh, that most of us don't even know each other, have no idea, who or what we're about, but can form opinons about us from a post!!!!:arghh:

Guest Kazzarazza
Well its all about opinion i suppose isnt it? All im saying is that in view of the fact that some people on here ARE very wound up about the subject,dont you think that other people could have shown a bit of "tact" in their replies considering we are talking about a little boy who was tortured to death for hours?instead of the usual "helpfull" stance of "havnt you got a remote"?As i asked before........"did scousemouse say that 21 million people are supposed to make the connection"? because that is what you stated as fact in one of your replies, i know she stated it was a slight on lpool,but that doesnt have to mean she's saying the whole population of oz would make the connection does it?

It was actually a sarcastic, rhetorical question but it obviously missed target. There was a derogatory remark aimed at Marty because he didn't understand with how she (as a Liverpudlian) would be feeling. I just thought the retort was uncalled and off-topic.

Just out of interest, I wonder how many people have ever considered how the foreigners who go to the UK feel, when they complain about things that they find offensive, or upsetting to their past, their religion, their up-bringing, their personal experiences, etc, then they try to get the Brits to change there ways to suit them? Probably most on here haven't because we have all complained about how they have no right to criticise, if they don't like it they should go home, etc, etc and it's probably the reason many have chosen to emigrate. Don't you think some of the comments on here are guilty of doing exactly the same thing? It has obviously upset a lot of recent arrivals and their reason may be justified to them, but just because someone else doesn't feel the same doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong. As someone said earlier, the person at Channel 7 they spoke to didn't know who Jamie Bulger was and had no idea what they were talking about - I think that speaks volumes. The whole world does not revolve around us ex-poms.:o

It was actually a sarcastic, rhetorical question but it obviously missed target. There was a derogatory remark aimed at Marty because he didn't understand with how she (as a Liverpudlian) would be feeling. I just thought the retort was uncalled and off-topic.

Just out of interest, I wonder how many people have ever considered how the foreigners who go to the UK feel, when they complain about things that they find offensive, or upsetting to their past, their religion, their up-bringing, their personal experiences, etc, then they try to get the Brits to change there ways to suit them? Probably most on here haven't because we have all complained about how they have no right to criticise, if they don't like it they should go home, etc, etc and it's probably the reason many have chosen to emigrate. Don't you think some of the comments on here are guilty of doing exactly the same thing? It has obviously upset a lot of recent arrivals and their reason may be justified to them, but just because someone else doesn't feel the same doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong. As someone said earlier, the person at Channel 7 they spoke to didn't know who Jamie Bulger was and had no idea what they were talking about - I think that speaks volumes. The whole world does not revolve around us ex-poms.:o

No,"i" knew it was sarcastic,just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak,the person they spoke to at channel 7 was some kid in a call centre,i can assure you that the "programme makers" KNOW where they got the clip from AND who it was about!The issues regarding immigrants to the uk and them trying to "change our ways" doesnt have any relevance in my mind to a clip of a little kid who was tortured to death,if/when i move over i wouldnt want/try to change one single thing about australia,HOWEVER i dont think there was any need to use the jamie bulger clip,others as you say have the right to dissagree,BUT im just stating that i find some of their replies in particular poor taste,offhand,and even "jokey" ,hence the "pulling tongue" smilies at the end of their replies????grown men making light of a subject like this and "pointscoring" " because some "kid in a call centre" doesnt know who james bulger is,is frankly pathetic!im just glad i never had the misfortune to meet some of these halfwits when i was over in april/may with tyke,anyway ive had my say,we'l agree to dissagree.Im off........im missing the footy on the telly

Guest guest3462

Really it is time to stop this dreadful behaviour. Stop and look at what you are writing and you will see that this has absolutely nothing to do with the original post. Forums are for friendly advice and banter, for folks to enjoy and learn from, not for some witch hunt that has almost turned into a racial battle of wits! Moderators should take heed now that this "entertainment" ceased being so severtal hours ago.

Guest Kazzarazza
Im off........im missing the footy on the telly

You'll have no problem fitting in with the Aussies, Pablo. The world could be falling apart around them but nothing interferes with the footy! That is a joke - no sarcasm intended.

Hope your team wins.

Guest happy feet
You'll have no problem fitting in with the Aussies, Pablo. The world could be falling apart around them but nothing interferes with the footy! That is a joke - no sarcasm intended.

Hope your team wins.

Is this the arm of freindship...LOL???? Nice one

The Jamie Bulgar case of course made the news here as did those 2 little girls from that village Soham(?), but probably the Beaumonts or Louise Bell are more in the psyche of the SA people. This has run its course. I'm closing but those still interested can read and contact channel 7 which was the original theme of this thread.