Riponian

Running clubs/Races

Hi

I know you probably think I am mad wanting to add something else to my schedule before we arrive but I need at firness target. I am wanting a 6 or 10k race in the autumn next year as a fitrness goal to aim for.

I think I need a club to help me get to know the area but don't want anything too serious just a casual club for an unfit mum.

It will depend on where we end up living but if I can get an idea before hand that would be helpful.

Don't really want it in this half of the year or over the really hot summer as running in heat will take some getting used to. Just a target to make me get out and get fit.

Thanks

Michelle

Guest rachinadelaide

Not in the Autumn but....

We have the Corporate Cup each Spring (just started 2 weeks ago) where teams enter and the objective is to beat your own time each week to score points. There are several trophies awarded at the end (my team won the most improved cup last year!!). It takes place all over Adelaide - have a look at the website ....ahem - I don't know it! Google - life be in it corporate cup!!!

There is alos the city to bay fun run coming up - people train for that for a while in advance and you can either run or walk. One of the more popular schemes to prepare for it is 'step into life' - google them too! They tailor programs for people wanting to get fit/improve fitness and they are all over adelaide.

And lastly (and off the subject) there is Amy's Ride - A cycle ride in honour of Amy Gillett (Aus cyclist killed in training) whci is either 30,60 or 100 kms and consists of riding the Southern Expressway as they close it for the cyclists! We did it lays year (60kms) and despite my objections will probably be doing it again this year. It's a tremendous feeling as they close the road for the cyclists and it feels very special being one of a few thousand to be on the southern expressway minus cars....

Don't expect to be able to walk for a few days...

Rach

Guest Rob and Clare

Check out the South Australian road runner club..

http://www.sarrc.asn.au/

They list a whole heap of races throughout the year if your interested and can help you start running.

The city to bay is great fun in September, but don't expect to be fast, there are so many people running and walking it's just good to be part of it....

Good luck.

Guest philnjulie

They list a whole heap of races throughout the year if your interested and can help you start running.

The city to bay is great fun in September, but don't expect to be fast, there are so many people running and walking it's just good to be part of it....

Good luck.

thought triathlons were more your scene

Guest Rob and Clare
    thought triathlons were more your scene

Is the triathalon where you can drink beer, eat curry and play pool, if so I am a triathalon god..;)

Good luck.

Hi found that website yesterday just need to spend some time reading it. I am really looking forward to finding new places to run and meeting new poeple but I am unfit after having my kids and hoping that the change in weather will help shed a view pounds.

Just want a target to aim for that is not in the middle of summer - too hot for me. Might dot hat race begining of December? Don't think I will be ready for anything else sooner than that!

Will keep searching....

Thanks

Michelle

Guest Lauren & Alan

Hi Michelle,

Me again! I have recently lost 3 and half stone so exercise is key for me at the moment! I would love to get into running when down under so I will keep my eye open for posts form you in case we end up in the same area. Good luck with it!

Hi

I know you probably think I am mad wanting to add something else to my schedule before we arrive but I need at firness target. I am wanting a 6 or 10k race in the autumn next year as a fitrness goal to aim for.

I think I need a club to help me get to know the area but don't want anything too serious just a casual club for an unfit mum.

It will depend on where we end up living but if I can get an idea before hand that would be helpful.

Don't really want it in this half of the year or over the really hot summer as running in heat will take some getting used to. Just a target to make me get out and get fit.

Thanks

Michelle

Hi, Both my wife and myself came over to Adelaide and wanted to get involved in a running club to make new friends and to keep fit. We have been here now since March and have managed to achieve both. If you pm me I will give you a contact and we will introduce you when you get here to a really nice group of people. They all like a glass of wine or two and also like to keep the pounds off and keep fit, which is very much what we are about.

Andy and Janice

Guest Lucky
    Hi, Both my wife and myself came over to Adelaide and wanted to get involved in a running club to make new friends and to keep fit. We have been here now since March and have managed to achieve both. If you pm me I will give you a contact and we will introduce you when you get here to a really nice group of people. They all like a glass of wine or two and also like to keep the pounds off and keep fit, which is very much what we are about.

Andy and Janice

Hi there. This is a very interesting thread for me. I currently run twice a week with an off road running club and can't bear to think I won't be running in OZ. I just don't enjoy running on my own, and as you say, it's a great way to meet new people.

We are flying out in 2 weeks time and I would like to start running as soon as I get there (after the jet lag wears off!) so I won't lose too much fitness. So would love to hear about any groups of runners...I'm not mad keen on racing, but just love to run for my sanity (must be a mum thing!).

Thanks, Sue

Guest jackielou

hey there i know this is an old thread but does any one know of any running clubs nr seaford / port noarlunga areas i have found glenelg runners but they seem a liitle far out ,though they do seem like the sort of club im looking to join,we arrive in 8 weeks and like many off you before i just wanna keep on running x hope some one can help me,

Hi found that website yesterday just need to spend some time reading it. I am really looking forward to finding new places to run and meeting new poeple but I am unfit after having my kids and hoping that the change in weather will help shed a view pounds.

Just want a target to aim for that is not in the middle of summer - too hot for me. Might dot hat race begining of December? Don't think I will be ready for anything else sooner than that!

Will keep searching....

Thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Just wanted to say what a good idea to have a fitness target... think Ill join you in that! I'm also just thinking about starting running again - I did it after my 2nd baby & loved it and definitely need a fitness goal myself now after my 3rd, and a heap of extra weight to shift!!

Where are you thinking of living... might be able to meet up with you for a run when we get over there too... hopefully at the end of the year. :)

Hazel