Guest rowy

16yr old step son needs school?

Guest rowy

Hi Guys, any thoughts on this one..my step son has decided he will make the move next year with us and he came on our reccie last year so he knows a bit about what to expect. He will be 16 and 3 months and will have just sat his GCSE exams a few weeks before. What should he do then? Does he go straight into school and finish that year again? Do his exams count for anything in Oz. Is there sixth form available or college? Will be looking at Seaford, Noarlunga areas if anyone has experience of education for this age? Many thanks Penny

Guest katsmajic

Hi, depending on what your step son wants - he could return to school for years 11/12 to get his sace points, they dont really take gcse results into account, seaford 6-12 acknowledges them and bases the classes accordingly but they dont go towards actual sace points.

My 2 started school but then opted out and started tafe (college) instead - there is one based at noarlunga (if you ended up at seaford end) its pretty good, the staff are really helpful, theres alot of career options there, or at other tafes which are dotted around adelaide.

If he wants to go on to uni etc depending on what career path he has planned then school and sace points are the way forward.

Good luck

(mine didnt settle at school - theirs not the schools fault, my 11yr old is starting seaford 6-12 in jan 10, we're happy with the school and its standards etc)

Guest rowy

Thanks very much. Did your 11yr old go to seaford k7? Have seen that on the internet. Just asking for my four year old daughter. Penny

Guest katsmajic

Hi, my little ones are at Moana k-7 as its closer to where we live, 2mins walk...Seb is in reception (6yr old) Mags is in yr 6 (11yrs old) shes off up to high school in January.

We've decided even after we move to Aldinga (building a house down there) we're going to keep him at Moana as hes so happy there and we like it too.

my friends kids go to Seaford k-7 and are happy there, also got friends kids at Seaford Rise Primary and Port Noarlunga Primary and all are happy enough. Schools are similar throughout really, good and bad in all of them its how the school manages it...Moana has a zero tolerance on pretty much everything - Mags was once told to "pee off to where she came from" the girl involved was excluded from the school immediately for a week, parents called in and the girl had to attend 'counseling' before she was allowed to return to the class environment! cool!

4 is too young for school, you'll have a couple of years of kindy to get through first - they start school the term after they turn 5, so either Jan/April/July/Oct.

Guest rowy
    Hi, my little ones are at Moana k-7 as its closer to where we live, 2mins walk...Seb is in reception (6yr old) Mags is in yr 6 (11yrs old) shes off up to high school in January.

We've decided even after we move to Aldinga (building a house down there) we're going to keep him at Moana as hes so happy there and we like it too.

my friends kids go to Seaford k-7 and are happy there, also got friends kids at Seaford Rise Primary and Port Noarlunga Primary and all are happy enough. Schools are similar throughout really, good and bad in all of them its how the school manages it...Moana has a zero tolerance on pretty much everything - Mags was once told to "pee off to where she came from" the girl involved was excluded from the school immediately for a week, parents called in and the girl had to attend 'counseling' before she was allowed to return to the class environment! cool!

4 is too young for school, you'll have a couple of years of kindy to get through first - they start school the term after they turn 5, so either Jan/April/July/Oct.

Well she will be over 5 when we get there so that should be ok. Moana sounds a good school. Its so hard sitting here ready web sites!!! Many thanks again, Penny

hiya,

both my kids are at Moana too and have seemed to enjoy it so far. we have been here just over a year and havent really any concerns at all. My eldest will be starting seaford 6-12 too in january as this is where all his mates are going for year 7 although secondry school doesnt really start till year 8 and like katsmagic said there is good and bad in all. I havent heard ANY bad reports of Moana though.

School shop when you arrive too and you will get the feel for the school too

hth

kath x