Guest marco

Living in CBD

Guest marco

Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Adelaide early October.

We were thinking of living in the CBD for the first year in a rental until we decide on an area to buy.

We were just seeing if anybody else lives or has lived in the CBD, and any pros and cons of the area, and which area of CBD is best to live in.

We are both in our mid 30's and are used to having various bars, restaurants and shops close by within walking distance.

Thanks in advance

Marc

the south west area is close to the central market, but only 10 - 20 mins walk from anywhere else in the city. There are plenty of bars , cafes and rstaurents around there too. The city is a good place and of course a centre to explore from.

Guest cafehag

Hi,

I've lived in the CBD for 12 months now, since moving over on my own in August 2008.

I've little but positive to report. Having all the pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc within walking distance is great. Additionally, the trams and some of the bus services are free within the city boundaries. It doesn't really matter where the property is within the CBD, you will be able to comfortably walk to anywhere else.

For some, noise would be an issue at times. For example I live near the main fire station for the city. The only area I would avoid is the north east corner, near Rundle Street, as it can be lively well into the night, particularly at weekends and festival/clipsal times.

Much of the available property in the CBD is near to new build, with the trend for living in the city being a recent one. These are likely to be townhouse style properties of 2-4 floors, occupying a small land footprint. They usually have a single or double parking space included. Bear in mind though that it is close living.

I wouldn't have considered living in the middle of Manchester or Birmingham but here, with the wide streets, extensive parklands and more relaxed pace of life, it is fine.

Having said all of that, I'm currently building at Seaford Meadows, having decided that longer term I would like to live in a detached house by the sea, as I did for 30 years in the UK.

In summary, go for it - it's a great place to start and you might never leave!

Guest Jo&Phil

I lived in North Adelaide when I first arrived, this is a suburb about 2 miles north of city centre and a good friend lived very central off Halifax St.

The nice thing about living centrally to start with is that you aclimatise quickly and soon get a feel of the city and know where things are --- very useful for job hunting and all the main services.

There are quite a lot of rentals adjacent to bars, cafes, restaurants etc ..... nicest areas are probably in the south east of the CBD, look off/around Hutt St.

Alternatively nice areas if you can afford them that are central but not literally off the main streets are:

Parkside, Goodwood, North Adelaide, Norwood, Magill, Stepney, Leabrook, or a bit further out and 'up and coming' Prospect (5 kms out max) Brompton (ditto distance)