Southern Suburbs School

Thorpe1

Hi Everyone,

My children attend a small private school in Abberfoyle Park. I have been so enlightened with their progress there I thought I would share my experience with you.

The school caters for years R-7 and is situated next to the local Lutheran Church. At this time there are a mixture of single year classes and mixed year classes. Initially I was vert scepitcal about the mixed year classes but I must say the idea has really grown on me. They seem to have it very well organised and despite my twins being in grade 4 in a 3/4 class they do grade 5 maths. I dont feel for one minute that they are being 'held back'.

In 2010, due to the fact that there are so many children in the years 5,6 and 7 the school are intorducing an 8th class. This will mean low numbers in classes and more vacancies in all years.

If you are considering moving to the Southern Suburbs and are considering a private school please consider checking this one out. The principal is more than willing to give you a no obligation guided tour and I am sure you will be impressed.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

I asked the Principal to write a short introduction advertising what the school has to offer so that I could post it on here for all who may be interested in checking it out once they arrive.

This is what he wrote:

Our Saviour Lutheran School is an Independent (private) school of 170 students, situated in the leafy southern suburbs of Adelaide .

Our Saviour is a school that learns, loves, laughs and lives in community, ensuring that each child's individual needs are met.

With a strong academic foundation, a focus on The Arts (Music, IT, Dance, Drama, Visual Art), as well as sporting and other extra- curricular opportunities, Our Saviour is a school that is accessible to all families who are seeking something 'above and beyond' for their children.

If you would like to learn more about how Our Saviour can support your child/ren as they begin or continue their primary schooling, please contact the Principal directly:

Kelvin Grivell

08 8270 5488

principal@osls.sa.edu.au

www.osls.sa.edu.au

Guest EHumphreys

Good evening Thorpe 1!!!

I can vouch for this Thread as my daughter also attends Our Saviour Lutheran school and she absolutely loves it there.

We moved to Australia in November 08 and she started at the school end January this year. Since she's been there she's made some great friends, which include the twins, and she's gained a confidence we never thought was in her.

We love the school, everyone has made us feel very welcome from the start and I would recommend anyone to consider this school if your moving to this area. xx :)

Hi Diane,

Its interesting you say that considering you are happy to advertise your blog page which clearly tells people a significant amount about you, including the ages of your children.

Everytime I post something up, I very carefully consider whether the information I put up could be used in any way to narrow down the identity of my children. For instance, I might mention online a sports club they belong to, but because there are a very large number of teams at that club, even knowing their age would make it difficult to identify them, I also try never to mention their names.

Have you not heard the story of the young girl who gave away unwittingly small bits of information about herself to someone she met in a chat room, who turned out to be an undercover policeman, who then turned up and explained to her and her parents just how easy she had made it to identify herself? Perhaps not.

But hey, it's completely up to you - no skin off my nose - perhaps I'm just very very aware of internet safety, perhaps too much so, it's just in my opinion, with kids, you want to minimise risks as much as possible. I am very aware that anyone - and that's anyone, you don't have to be a registered site member - can access a lot of areas of this site, and I think you should be too! In a school of only 170 students, I reckon someone could easily work out which twins were in the class you mentioned, don't you??! Is that really 100% safe??

Anyway, do what you like, I stand corrected - what you do is up to you!