Damms

Exchange rate up!!!

    Recommended Posts

    Hi everyone

    Just a quick note to let all those that have been hanging on waiting to buy Aussie Dollars and been despairing at the increasingly strong dollar that the pound is strengthening, it started late last week and has been increasing all day. It looks like this trend could continue until at least Wednesday which is when some more economic data is releases and then who know what the rates will do.

    I have been told that it is more likely to weaken again than to go over 2.40 but who know!!!

    Just wanted to help give a heads up to those looking to buy soon or who want to forward buy and fix the rate at what could be better rates than we have seen for a while.

    Good luck everyone

    Kim :cool:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest chippie74

    Im watching this 3-4 times aday...pritty sad really!!!!!!! we fly out in 4 weeks so we are reading to change £-$ over

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Guest75

    I think it is only a temporary increase - the US share market fall last week caused the better exchange rate.

     

    Great for anyone exchanging over this next few days :)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Oh dear Tyke, I was hoping you wouldn't say that.

     

    We to are ready to do some transferring HIFX at the ready......fingers crossed the trend 'up' may continue !

     

    Angela

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Roo1

    Thanks for that Kim. Its great for all of us here too who still have U.K bank accounts.

     

    See you soon.

     

    Judi x

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi everyone

     

    Just to give an update there is a decision due on Aussie interest rates tomorrow night, it looks likely they will go up again, If this happens then the dollar should strengthen against the Pound so If you are looking to buy $ in the short term now may be your best bet. Obviously this is only my opnion and gut feel!! so speak to your FX consultants.

    Good luck guys

    Kim

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest dglamoore

    On their website HiFX are qutoing 2.37 at the moment but would be a better rate with larger amounts :)

     

    Lisa:cool:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On their website HiFX are qutoing 2.37 at the moment but would be a better rate with larger amounts :)

     

    Lisa:cool:

     

     

    Yes you would think so Lisa wouldn't you but our consultant laughed when we suggested 2.40$ - perhaps I am doing something wrong !!?? I thought a 6 figure sum would be substantial, but maybe not ??

     

    Have to say I will be speaking to them on Monday. I won't go into any detail but I am now glad HIFX was not my only choice, if you know what I mean ;).

     

    Do continue to keep this post updated though a few of us are in our final weeks left in the UK, so we are 'sad' to when it comes to the exchange rate :rolleyes:.

     

    Good luck All

    Angela

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I am also hoping that the rate goes up to 2.40. It went just over the other day, so I have placed a forward order with HIFX at 2.40 so if the rate goes to this whilst I am not watching it will be secured.

    I have calculated that on A$600000 which is about what we expect to spend on a house, evry 10cents differrence in the exchange rate equates to about 10,000 pounds!!!!. Quite a difference if I have my sums right.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    That is a lot of $, you are very lucky.

    I have not been impressed with HIFX so also have an FX consultant from HALO looking to :rolleyes:.

     

    Fingers crossed for us both that the rate is on the up !

     

    Good luck

     

    Angela

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    We got a forward contract of 2.38 on Friday - guy we spoke to said he would exchange now if it were him.

     

    Fingers crossed for you guys though :)

     

    Lea

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    So guys a little help please !!

     

    With 3 weeks to go do you wait & risk the rate dropping or forward buy at 2.40 which is what we have always said we would be happy with ?

     

    On the spot buy came in at 2.385 today which we are considering !

     

    I hate this part of the process & it is just not getting easier.

     

    Any clairvoyants amongst us? :eek:

     

    Angela

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Guest75
    So guys a little help please !!

     

    With 3 weeks to go do you wait & risk the rate dropping or forward buy at 2.40 which is what we have always said we would be happy with ?

     

    On the spot buy came in at 2.385 today which we are considering !

     

    I hate this part of the process & it is just not getting easier.

     

    Any clairvoyants amongst us? :eek:

     

    Angela

     

    It's not a bad rate is that Angela.

    If you look at it for over the last few years it seems fairly good.We did have that high point of the over $2.50's - but how often has that happened in the last few years?????

     

     

    It really does depend on how much capital you have to convert as well..........the difference in rate could mean a carton of beer or a second car.

     

    The choice is yours................Good luck.:D

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    We have been watching the markets too and did a couple of exchanges, 70,000 AUD a few weeks ago at about 2.35 and then 650,000 AUD last week and we managed to get a rate of 2.383. It all depends what your nerve is and if you need the money over here. We bought a house and had to pay a deposit within 48 hours so we needed ours!!!! Bear in mind that you will probably get a higher interest over here for savings than in the UK so the small difference may well be made up in interest. I think 2.5 (which is what I had based everything on) is unrealistic now and would be looking nearers the 2.4 mark but if anyone has a crystal ball that would be very useful!!!!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest soggy
    It's not a bad rate is that Angela.

    If you look at it for over the last few years it seems fairly good.We did have that high point of the over $2.50's - but how often has that happened in the last few years?????

     

     

    It really does depend on how much capital you have to convert as well..........the difference in rate could mean a carton of beer or a second car.

     

    The choice is yours................Good luck.:D

    3 times in the last 5 years;), when we hope to go, around end of year, my wife says it will be around 2.5 although this is because as she puts it "I have money lucky and Buddha will help us" im not sure anyone should bet their future on this advice!!!!!! ( I expect i will have to)

     

    Simon

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Just been on to HIFX this morning as the rate has just gone above 2.40. They tell me that the rate needs to move to about 2.41 to enable a purchase at the 2.40 mark. The guy I spoke to is very hopeful that this rate will be reached within the next day or so, but could not obviously give any guarantees.

    Maybe some good news is on the way.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thanks for that !

     

    I reckon it needs to be nearer 2.42 before HIFX will agree to 2.40 at the best ! They have to make some money & I personally think that is why they are trying to get us to buy at 2.38.

     

    Keeping everything crossed !

     

    Angela

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Good News, just been contacted by HIFX to say that my order had been filled, my dealer Nick said to me that maybe he would expect 2.40 to be a barrier and that he would possibly expect the currency to go back down.

    If you want it, order it quick!!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest muppetbro

    after 6 months watching i would bank a rate of 239/240 as is currently this moment in time without a doubt - you have 2 options boom or bust or play safe and that is a safe exchange rate without a doubt

     

    my bank exchanges 1 cent below the given rate found live on

     

    www.bloomberg.com

     

    remember current interest rates in oz bank accounts are paying at least 1% more than uk banks so work out the value of the added interest you could be earning!?

     

    our book keeping was done at a rate of 240 so we are satisfied which is better than being gutted but not as good as laughing all the way to the bank

     

    remember you have 6 months to move the money into oz so the other option is longer term and remain patient but i am not so confident given the current economic indicators

     

    me id rather have the safe knowledge that i know exactly the amount i have to house hunt or shud that be tent hunting

     

    be safe

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Seems we have the same HIFX consultant 'Nick', our deal is done we are now officially poor here in the UK ....but happy with our rate :).

     

    Good luck to those of you still watching & waiting.

     

    I never want to look at another exchange rate again :P.

     

    Angela

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    What a problem exchange rates are, yesterday I thought I had done so well getting 2.40 for quite a large sum of money, only to find that if I had left it until today I would be A$4000 dollars better off.

    I have now just agreed to do a further trade at 2.5042, all I have to do now is find the money!!

    It's all in savings some where, but will have to retrieved.

    I will now be sick if it goes up to 2.60

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest dglamoore

    There was a huge stock market crash here yesterday wiping billions off the price of stocks :confused: not so good for the economy but the exchange rate shot up over night :eek: Currently sat at 2.53 so if you have any cash sort it quick as it may not last at this rate for long :o

     

    Lisa:cool:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    We changed over last week at 2.38 - luckily we're not selling the house or I would be p*ssed off :mad: Just trying to sort out regular payment arrangements for Paul's pension and the rent to get moved across :confused:

     

    Lea

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Rachel & Jeff

    It's definately looking good at the moment. I'll have to hope my house sells quick so I can get some money over there before it plummets again.

    The money part is beginning to give me a headache. It all seems so complicated:confused:

     

     

    Rachel

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now