Guest June Pixie

OAA and School Zones

Guest June Pixie

Having now established that we are renting our UK home out we will now need to rent in Adelaide. I would be happy to take advantage of the OAA provided and live there until we find a place in a nice area, however, the OAA can be anywhere and when we arrive next July I wanted to get the kids into school after a couple of weeks, I feel they should not have a long time off school with the Australian summer hols are in December.

So say I get OAA in Port Adelaide but we are going to look to move to Wattle Park for the school, I couldn't apply to the Wattle Park school zone could I, living in Port Adelaide? I wouldn't want to settle them into a school near the OAA when I may have no intention of staying in this area. What did other people do about this? Or did you keep the kids off for a while until you found your feet? My daughter is dead excited about starting school over there sooner rather than have an extended holiday.

One last thing when you specify which area you would prefer your OAA to be, did anyone actually get the area they wanted? Is the choice limited to certain areas?

I may sound ungrateful but I will be appreciative of the lower priced accomodation that OAA can offer whilst finding our feet but find the whole school scenario a bit of a concern.

Any of your thoughts on this is appreciated.

If your kids are of primary school age, you can send them to wherever you want. Very few primary schools enforce their zone. If they do it is because they are full, or very near full. And as you don't know exactly where you might be living, but you may already have some idea you may as well have them in a school closer to the area you may pick.

Guest Lisajonesey

Hi,

Just wanted to give me 5cents worth...

If I were you - I'd explore ALL other options before going for the OAA. Ours was REALLY awful, and if we had kids with us, we wouldn't have walked over the threashold.

I know they're not all the same - but if I had known, I would have stayed in the UK an extra month and bought some more money over with me.

Lisa.

Guest June Pixie

Thanks fro the replies - My kids will be 13 and 8, so my youngest will be in primary. That's good to know. Looking at the high school zones will be our priority then.

Lisa was your OAA in an undesirable area or was the place just awful? I have looked at a few options and coming over with less money than expected means financially OAA is better for a short while, as the holiday type properties are too expensive for a few weeks day to day living. I really hope we don't have a bad experience but we don't want to come over in holiday mode and waste any money.

Guest soggy
    Thanks fro the replies - My kids will be 13 and 8, so my youngest will be in primary. That's good to know. Looking at the high school zones will be our priority then.

Lisa was your OAA in an undesirable area or was the place just awful? I have looked at a few options and coming over with less money than expected means financially OAA is better for a short while, as the holiday type properties are too expensive for a few weeks day to day living. I really hope we don't have a bad experience but we don't want to come over in holiday mode and waste any money.

Hi,

not all OAA the same, mine was like living in the seventies again, but if I could have had it for a year I would have done.:)

Simon