Help....luggage allowance (we have gone over for sure)

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Hi ....well we have just one day to go now before heading BACK to ADELAIDE!

All packed up ready to go AND having borrowed a set of scales have now realized that each suitcase (6 of them) is over the limit!!!

We are ONLY allowed 20kg with Singapore Airlines and we are over on each suitcase by about 3 or 4 kg....How strict are they????

What will happen when we check these suitcases in?:goofy:

We believe that we can have only one 20kg suitcase each AND one 7kg hand luggage

Gill

Hi ....well we have just one day to go now before heading BACK to ADELAIDE!

All packed up ready to go AND having borrowed a set of scales have now realized that each suitcase (6 of them) is over the limit!!!

We are ONLY allowed 20kg with Singapore Airlines and we are over on each suitcase by about 3 or 4 kg....How strict are they????

What will happen when we check these suitcases in?:goofy:

We believe that we can have only one 20kg suitcase each AND one 7kg hand luggage

Gill

Hi,

our 3 cases came to 97 kg, 37kg over, when this was pointed out at check in I said in my most innocent voice " I was told we had a 40kg allowence each if we are migrating" (we are on 495 and I new we only had 20kg limit) she checked the visa, can't have really know what she was looking for, called a supervisor who informed us that the increased limit was only for UK passport holders (wife and daughter have chinese passports) and we were now still 17 kg over but said OK, as we were not having a stopover and the baggage would not have to be checked in again they would not charge us, we like that lady a lot, and Singapore

Maybe you will be lucky too.:):)

Simon

Hi Gill,

we went with Cathay and were being charged 35 GBP per kilo, we were told we could take 40kg only to find out at the airport we were only allowed 20kg, they wanted to charge us 2400gbp!!!

We contacted our shipping company who took the exess luggage for a cost of 450gbp and it was with us two days after we arrived.

I would double check as we were put in a terrible position and having to try and think fast. I know its a different airline, but as far as I know they are getting picky with this sort of stuff now.

Anyways, have a safe journey and see you soon xxx

SIA charge summat like £50 per kilo over, fill laptop bags with as much as you can as laptops are a bonus on top of your hand luggage....failing that repack your cases into what you will need straight away and pack a couple of cases with stuff that you can do without for a week or so...then when you get to the airport, weigh in your cases that you will need.

Try and pull a fast one by making up excuses about being over your allowance...they may let you get away with it....if not goto excess baggage and send the not so important cases with excess baggage, we had to do this they are very nice indeed and your cases arrive round a week or so later...

Hope this helps.

HG

Guest caoimhe

Hi Gill

We were a total of 37kg over and before checking in I asked the guy how much they would charge but he let us off....better than the gits from BMI who charged us £270 from Belfast to Heathrow.

Just depends who you get but make sure you explain the circumstances