Guest Summer05

Rental needed please

Guest Summer05

Hi all,

We are new to this forum, (used the british expat forum loads). Anyway I would appreciate if someone can give some advice on the rental side. We are due to arrive in Adelaide on Oct 3rd. We applied for on arrival accomodation but were just told today that unfortunately there is nothing available!!!. We are now desperate to find a place to come and stay for a short period before we find our rental. We don't know what's the best option/what type of rental to look for. There are four of us, myself and my husband James and two children, 8 & 4.

We would also consider those who break their lease and are within easy reach of CBDs as we would need to be central to look for jobs.

IF you have any suggestions please let us know. Like probably most of you we don't have any family or friends in Adelaide so any advice wuold be appreicated.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Summer

oh no you must be panicing a bit but I sure someone here can suggest somewhere for you. Not sure if you have seen the link on this website it's been really useful to me.

http://www.adelaidebound.com/

Also look at discovery holiday parks they were suggested to us but we are staying else where

Good luck I am sure something will be available

Guest Summer05

Thanks a lot, for replying Michell.I will check the website now. I am panicking but hopefully we will be able to sort something out.

Many thanks

Eda & James

Guest jimdundee

Hi Summer

Me and my Wife have also received the same news as you and are now desperatly trying to find somewhere to stay. We have an apartment booked for the first 11 days but after that who knows. In those 11 days we have to find a longer rental (6 months or so), but as yet everywhere we are searching is booked up. We are looking at rentals on realestate.com.au but we are unsure if we can apply for rentals over the internet. Good luck with your search and hope you come up trumps. If we have any luck we will keep ypu posted.

Jason & Caroline

Guest WoodMartin
    ...unsure if we can apply for rentals over the internet....

We clicked the 'apply now' button on a couple of places, and the estate agents that replied said we were too early - they'd be gone by the time we arrived (This was a couple of weeks ago, so about 8 weeks before we land). There was no mention of not being able to apply by internet.

May be worth a try and see what response you get?

Ali

one way to help secure a rental quickly is make sure you have 100 points of id ready to go, passport, drivers licence, medicare card etc and any references you can muster up, we even took along a brochure of our uk house we sold. People do tend to feel panicky but there are tons of rentals out there, ive broke my lease once bought a house then sold it and as luck had it secured the rental next door to the house i sold so it can be done (that was in a week).

Just be organised as much as possible, but realistically your probly best to have accomodation for 3 weeks when you get here to just be on the safe side. There is lots oflast minute accomodation ok a bit pricey but they are holiday accomodation. Keep your eye on realestate.com. I wouldnt advise trying to secure one from the uk as some look fab on the internet and are proper dives when you look round them. One way to fend off competition is to offer a few months rent up front too, i know loads of people thats worked for. Good luck and try not to panic, hard i know!!

Guest Summer05

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and the valuable advice you each gave us, especially with the points which we thought it would be the case.

My husband has contacted a few agencies for a holiday rental for a maximum of four weeks by which time we would hopefuly be able to secure sth. I am surprised that most of the holiday rentals are fully booked for October. Is that a holiday period there or sth?

Ozziclaire thanks a lot for your kind post and all the advice, we have collected our mortgage statemement from the UK and the savings account statement, we'll get a reference from our bank, and any other document we may think we'll be useful to secure the rent. We intend to pay six months rent in advance.

I thought securing the visa was the end of the panic mode living we went through:sad:

Jimdundee- good luck to you too guys and keep us informed if you make any progress and visa versa.

I will keep you all posted.

Have a lovely day.

Summer:)

Hi Summer

Yes, 3rd October is right smack bang in the middle of the school holidays, and the first weekend in October is a long weekend (Labor Day) as well. If you haven't already done so, it's worth dropping an email to Donna Jacobs - she handles a lot of short term furnished rentals on behalf of the owners, and several are within easy reach of the City - otherwise (although it will be pricy) you could try Adelaide Regent Apartments - they have several apartments around the city - do haggle over the price they first offer you - we stayed in their Hutt St apartments which were great and really central when we first arrived.

Here's Donna's web page - http://www.realestateowners.net.au/search.asp?lState=SA&Submit=search

and here's the apartments - http://www.adelaideregent.com.au/ or there's also http://www.apartmentsadelaide.com.au/

Once you've got somewhere for the first few weeks, it's just a matter of getting the local paper (The Advertiser) on a Saturday for all the longer term rentals, and going to the opens, putting in your application etc - it's quite feasible to find somewhere and move in as quickly as within a fortnight.

Don't worry - you're arriving at a fantastic time of year - the whole of summer to look forward to, so after the first initial hectic time, you'll be able to relax!

Diane

Guest Summer05

Hi Diane

Thanks for yoru reply and your lovely encouraging post as well as the advice. We have managed a rental for two weeks now at the midway apartments in goodwood (i think this is what is called).

Anyway i see you are from essex. We come from Essex too. :)

Many thanks and have a lovely day

Eda & James x

Great news, and the apartments you've chosen are in a great location - easy reach of beach and city.

Whereabouts in Essex are you from? I grew up near Brentwood, then lived in Galleywood near Chelmsford and Nounsley near Hatfield Peverel. Was just reading in the paper the other day about the V Festival at Chelmsford! There's a few of us Ex Essex Girls living round and about SA now!! :)

Diane

Guest Summer05

We lived just off gallows corner roundabout, in Harold Wood. I used to go to Brentwood on a few occasions. Yeah there are a few of us Ex Essex girls there yippee J

Regarding the apartment we have put the deposit down ($100), I just got a couple of posts saying the midway apartments are in really poor conditions and we must look for something else, which I really appreciate as I would get very depressed if I go to a damphole. So back at square one again this evening when we finish work, looking for something else. I know the location is good, but jesus if its dirty I am not staying there.

It appears that quite a few places seem fully booked because of the bank holiday!!! Bumper!

Are you enjoying life over there Diane? I am starting to panic now!!!

xxx

Guest ems

Hi Eda.

Not sure how much they cost but there is the executive midway apartments in Glenelg,not sure if these are the ones you booked as i stayed at at the ones in Kurralta park (sure they were all 1 bedroom though but i may be wrong). I think i was very lucky as my apartment wasn't to bad (although small but there was only the 2 of us) but then i did go along with a relocation company so they might have wanted to make sure the apartment looked goodish for there benefit,i even had the carpets professionally cleaned when i got there. I did meet 2 other families there and their apartments weren't that great. I haven't heard about the house yet but i know they were onto my mates today for references so hoping to hear 2moro. I'll be in touch soon.

Em.xx

Guest Summer05

Hi Emm

Thanks a lot for replying; yes it’s exactly the same place the kuraltra that we have put the deposit down. Ok then well I might give a ring to the lady we have been e-mailing regarding this and see what she says, probably ask for the executive one.

Please let me know how the rental goes.

All the best

Eda xxx

My god I thought we had heard the last of that place, Darren said we would all probably forget how bad it was, I had, i must admit until I saw this thread. I will have nightmares tonight em.

Guest Summer05
    Hi Emm

Thanks a lot for replying; yes it’s exactly the same place the kuraltra that we have put the deposit down. Ok then well I might give a ring to the lady we have been e-mailing regarding this and see what she says, probably ask for the executive one.

Please let me know how the rental goes.

All the best

Eda xxx

Yes it is Kym, she has been very prompt in replying to james anyway, so anything you advice us on this - please

xx

Guest Summer05
    Kym, Id watch him I had to ask him for my deposit back, he was not going to give me it until I asked for it, tight twat...

oh it's a man and not a woman... oh dear I called kym "her". Yeah my husband will get his credit card to cancel the deposit.

oh dear, didn't know it was this bad!!!!:arghh:

Regards

Eda and James

After the long flight and then stepping into that room, made my wife burst into tears it was that bad, we laugh about it now but at the time it was no laughing matter...

Guest Summer05

hahahah the name is so deceiving...Kym...oh no it's a him.!!!

thanks anyway

Guest ems

Kym is the man who owns midway. I always thought it was a woman till i got there because of the name Kym, never even considered Kym as being a man LOL. The best thing about these apartments is the location however as others have said the apartments are nothing like the pictures. A lot of people have had problems there, whether it is faulty air con/fly screens, dirty apartments, the cooking facilities are quite poor with the equipment not always working, if i wanted toast i had to stand there and hold the toaster down until the toast was done, i did also buy a couple of things that i really didn't want to use like the chopping boards as they just looked unhygienic. One family didn't even have a hoover in their apartment. The other thing that was very annoying was it stated the apartments had Internet access, it hardly worked. I used to sit outside on the walkway (thankfully i was in the end apt) to use the Internet and that didn't always work. I notice the price has gone up 2. When we arrived in Feb we paid $395a wk. It is just a shame because it has everything you need outside of the apartments. Keep looking around and I'm sure you will find something else, you don't have to tell him you have decided against the place yet if that is what you choose as you have paid the deposit anyway. It would be good to see if any1 has stayed in these supposed executive apartments, have no idea how much they would cost though. Try not to pannic, something will come up.x

Guest Summer05
    Kym is the man who owns midway. I always thought it was a woman till i got there because of the name Kym, never even considered Kym as being a man LOL. The best thing about these apartments is the location however as others have said the apartments are nothing like the pictures. A lot of people have had problems there, whether it is faulty air con/fly screens, dirty apartments, the cooking facilities are quite poor with the equipment not always working, if i wanted toast i had to stand there and hold the toaster down until the toast was done, i did also buy a couple of things that i really didn't want to use like the chopping boards as they just looked unhygienic. One family didn't even have a hoover in their apartment. The other thing that was very annoying was it stated the apartments had Internet access, it hardly worked. I used to sit outside on the walkway (thankfully i was in the end apt) to use the Internet and that didn't always work. I notice the price has gone up 2. When we arrived in Feb we paid $395a wk. It is just a shame because it has everything you need outside of the apartments. Keep looking around and I'm sure you will find something else, you don't have to tell him you have decided against the place yet if that is what you choose as you have paid the deposit anyway. It would be good to see if any1 has stayed in these supposed executive apartments, have no idea how much they would cost though. Try not to pannic, something will come up.x

Oh Ems thanks ever so much for your advice. I totally agree with you, probably we will keep it as the last reserve. And yes it did say internet access, hemmmmm.

If it’s that bad it will really bring me down to tears. I have had another instance when we went abroad and had to change hotels the next day, and I still have nightmares about it…just trying to imagine it makes me cry. Anyway I am praying we will find a decent place to stay when we come over until we sort the rental out. :sad:

Eda xx

Guest mandmick

Hi

What a nightmare for you.

We are arriving later than planned so our house is partly furnished for a couple of weeks if you get stuck.

It's in Golden Grove. Lovely house, 4 beds with a pool.

Good Luck with it all.