Guest seekingsunshine

help!how do we register car without an address!?!

Guest seekingsunshine

hi everyone! could anyone help us please!

we are arriving on friday 18th september (so excited!)

we have already organised to purchase a car once we arrive and have put a deposit down etc. we are hoping to pick it up on the saturday.

however we obviously need to register the car in our names.

the garage has said they need a rental agreement with our name and address on and then something like a bank statement or bill also with name and address on.

heres where we hit a problem as we obviously dont have an address yet! we are staying in aldinga beach for three weeks and looking for a long term rental during that time.....

how has everyone else managed to register a car in their name before living in australia?

how do you do it?! any advice would be greatly appreciated! or ideas of how to get round this!

many thanks :arghh:

Guest Django

You should have a rental agreement for the 3 weeks in Aldinga that'll do just fine.

Guest seekingsunshine

hi django!thanks for the quick reply :)

the lovely people we're renting off when we first arrive (summerhillrentals) very kindly dropped an agreement off saying we were staying etc .....however our garage has said this is not sufficent as only a page long! they've suggested that the car may have to be registered to their garage til we get sorted but i dont see why myself! must be a way round it....may try contacting moter and vehicle licsenceing myself.....!

Guest seekingsunshine

just in case anyone in the future is looking for the answer to this question........!

from what we can find out as we have no fixed address,our only option is to register the car to the garage we're buying it from, which will in effect cause it to be a demo rather than brand new as it will have 'had' (registered as having) two owners when we come to sell it on!

not impressed by this at all as will devalue car for no purpose but think its the only option!

:(

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi,

I think we are going to have the same problem then, we are going to Perth first buying a car in Perth and we are driving to Adelaide. I believe you have to change your number plates over when you get to SA, but to be honest hadn't considered that didn't think it would be a problem, was just going to get a confirmation letter of where we were going to be staying when we arrived which will hopefully be the accomodation provided by meet and greet but you say this isn't sufficient?:unsure:

Cheers Jo and Tom x:)

Hi,

I think we are going to have the same problem then, we are going to Perth first buying a car in Perth and we are driving to Adelaide. I believe you have to change your number plates over when you get to SA, but to be honest hadn't considered that didn't think it would be a problem, was just going to get a confirmation letter of where we were going to be staying when we arrived which will hopefully be the accomodation provided by meet and greet but you say this isn't sufficient?:unsure:

Cheers Jo and Tom x:)

You will also have to get your checked when you bring it into the state to check its road worthy and all that, its the only time you get your car checked.

If your touring you dnt but if your bringing it in to stay in SA then you have to get it signed off....

hope this helps if you wanna check maybe take a look at the governments website.

HG

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Cheers for that HG will have a look on the website, any ideas how much costs are over there to check it's road worthy etc

Jo and Tom x:)

Guest Django
    hi django!thanks for the quick reply :)

the lovely people we're renting off when we first arrive (summerhillrentals) very kindly dropped an agreement off saying we were staying etc .....however our garage has said this is not sufficent as only a page long! they've suggested that the car may have to be registered to their garage til we get sorted but i dont see why myself! must be a way round it....may try contacting moter and vehicle licsenceing myself.....!

:confused: Thats all we had. We rented our short term rental from Judi (Roo1) and while there bought our first car. All we had was a copy of our short rental agreement. We had no problems at all. :confused:

Cheers for that HG will have a look on the website, any ideas how much costs are over there to check it's road worthy etc

Jo and Tom x:)

I dnt think that it alot, it will say online somewhere, it used to be down on marion road but now i think it is down @ Lonsdale...there is one up north too i think...also check on line.

hope this helps somewhat..

HG