Guest lkaddoumi

Different Academic Year issue

Guest lkaddoumi

Hello Everyone.

We moved to Dubai in 2005. At that time my son (9 years at the time) was following the Brazilian Academic year (Jan to Nov). Here in Dubai the academic year starts in Aug/Sep. When we enrolled him he had to start again the 3rd grade seeing that he hasn’t finished the 4th grade (he was half way). Now he is on the 6th grade and our fears are that whenever we move to Adelaide (which we are expecting to happen next Jan/2010) he will have to start again the 6th grade....He is 12 now and going to be 13 in Dec. Any idea if we can enroll him to the 7th grade? If he has to start again the 6th grade he will end up losing 2 years of his academic life and on the top of that, he will be too old to join a 6th grade. Any help or advice will be highly appreciated.

Luciana (35), Fadi (37), Ivan (12), Jihan (2)

Guest Trakki

I don't know what year he will be in. My son would have started year 3 when we moved here but went into year 2. The schooling starts a year later than in England so you can't really go by the numbers ie year 2, 3, 4 etc. What they will probably do is put him in the year that his age group are in and then they will assess him as to whether this is the right level for him and whether they will move him up.

HTH

My daughter had already started high school in the UK and is now in Year 7 here. (She is 12 - will be 13 in April). Don't see why he can't go into year 7 but whatever school you choose will probably keep you right on that score.

Wendy

Guest caoimhe

My son is 11 now and is in year 6 so next year he will start year 7 in January and turn 12 in March. If you son will turn 13 this December I would have thought he would be starting high school in January!!!!

Most high schools here start in Year 8 - my son is 12 now, turns 13 next May and will start Year 8 (and High School) in January/February 2010. If your son is already 13 when he arrives, I am sure the schools will be happy to look at putting him into Year 8 for the start of the school year. In your situation, I'd just start looking at High Schools and see how it goes! Good luck!

Diane

Guest lkaddoumi

Thanks all for the quick reply...I hope we can manage that and at least have him enrolled in the 7th grade. High school would be perfect. Whenever the time comes closer I will arrange meetings with the schools and in case I need some help I will send you a buzz.

Thanks a million again

Luciana