Sign in to follow this  
Guest bugbabe

Teaching in SA

Guest bugbabe

Hi,

Any teachers out there tell me about their interview experiences in SA?

I have been on the DECS site and everything seems so longwinded and complicated! Because I wont be in the PPP, does it mean I will struggle to find a permanent position?

Obviously dont mind doing some temporary work at the start, but I am quite driven and would like to be promoted to management eventually, which means securing a permanent position. I am an English and Media teacher, and have noticed that English is a demand subject.

Hopefully it just seems so confusing because I am not used to another country's department of education - hopefully!

I am in my second year of teaching here in the UK and have just been promoted to anaylse school data and national league tables (almost as boring as it sounds ha ha!)

I have read from another post that league tables will be introduced soon into Aus so hopefully that will give me an advantage, or will it?

So, what are my chances of actually getting an interview if I am not in the PPP? Are there as many jobs around as there are in the UK? And also, what is the teaching experience like comparted to the UK? (I know this will obviouslky vary from school to school and area etc)

If anyone could shed some light on the matter I'd be really grateful.

Thanks, Claire.

Guest cazzie

Hi Claire,

I'm sure some of the experienced teachers on this site will be able to give you more in-depth information than I can. I have just finished a post graduate diploma in education at UniSA as I was a GTP trained teacher in the UK and SA do not recognise the qualification. They did give me credits for the three years teaching that I had and I'm now ready to work. I have filled in the Decs application and yes, it's all very long winded and you have to have a first aid certificate, mandated notification certificate, teacher registration etc etc - it all takes an age! I have enrolled with Select Education a week ago and had a day's work last Thurday at Tatachilla Lutheran College as a TRT (supply teacher). I covered PE which I enjoyed but like you, I am an English teacher. You can apply for teaching jobs in independent and catholic schools and there are a few English jobs going at the moment which I am in the process of applying for. Tatachilla is am amazing school and the standards throughout are very high - I would want my kids to go there! Compared to the school I worked at in the UK, Tatachilla was fabulous - an absolute doddle! Mind you, my teaching practice was based in Wirreanda High and that was more like the standard state school in the UK. I still enjoyed my experience there but it was rough and plenty of crowd control going on!

Good luck with your researching and job hunting, I think you will find that it is just like applying for a job anywhere else.

Guest bugbabe

Thanks for that!

I too did a GTP, but it is university accredited from Manchester Met, so I think I should be OK (fingers crossed!)

Best of luck with your applications, let me know how you get on, I would be interested to see how you get on :)

Guest rachinadelaide

Hi there! I used to teach in the UK and did some relief teaching here. The registration process is long-winded (and expensive!) and the curriculum guidelines are confusing but there is a National Curriculum due for release next year (although I'm guessing you are a high school teacher..?? and I'm talking about Primary).

I know a couple of people who came out from the UK expecting to get into a job fairly quickly, only to find that preference is given to teachers who have done the hard-yards out in the country schools. They both ended up moving out of Adelaide and into country SA in order to get jobs. Not sure if this is still the case...

Best of luck!

Rach

Guest cazzie
    Thanks for that!

I too did a GTP, but it is university accredited from Manchester Met, so I think I should be OK (fingers crossed!)

Best of luck with your applications, let me know how you get on, I would be interested to see how you get on :)

Hello Claire,

I will definitely let you know how i get on with my current applications and whether they lead anywhere. I am already becoming frustrated with not having work but will keep filling in applications until it happens! I am really unsure about your GTP qualification - it may well be accepted with a university accreditation but to be sure, I would contact Andrew Dowling who is the main contact at the TRB here. Look him up on the TRB website and you can either email or call him. Good luck!

Guest Nick11
    Thanks for that!

I would check that out very carefully. I was under the impression they only accept 4 year hour degrees in education or a pgce to become registered.

There is always a lot of discussion about this on british expats under the teaching section. Check it out - it may be of some help

Nick

x

Guest cazzie
    I would check that out very carefully. I was under the impression they only accept 4 year hour degrees in education or a pgce to become registered.

There is always a lot of discussion about this on british expats under the teaching section. Check it out - it may be of some help

Nick

x

Hi again Claire,

If my memory serves me right, Nick11 is probably correct - you do need a PGCE or 4 year teaching degree. They asked me to contact my university to see if I could get my GTP converted to a PGCE but to no avail as I trained within a consortium of schools. I then had to study at UniSA for a fast track post grad diploma at great financial cost. Anyway, things do change so it's worth contacting Andrew to find out.

Guest Nick11
    Hi again Claire,

If my memory serves me right, Nick11 is probably correct - you do need a PGCE or 4 year teaching degree. They asked me to contact my university to see if I could get my GTP converted to a PGCE but to no avail as I trained within a consortium of schools. I then had to study at UniSA for a fast track post grad diploma at great financial cost. Anyway, things do change so it's worth contacting Andrew to find out.

Thanx Cazzie - I thought I was - not good news for the other poster.

Just read on another website the GTP route is not recognised in oz at all. Need to do additional training which costs a small fortune. This guy was saying it cost him$17000!!!!