Guest hel&sam

school ages

Guest hel&sam

in a bit of a flap, just accepted an offer on my house!!!!!arggghhhhh panic!!!!!! so this is the first of many very blonde questions i will be asking all you good people over the next few months.

Cameron was 11 in March so started year 7 high school last week. Over there, what year will he go in in January? very confused can someone clarify for me.

Ta!

Helenx

It does vary from school to school a little but if you come over before the end of 2009, I reckon your son will go into Year 6 for the rest of the year, then go into Year 7 at the start of 2010. Year 7 in most schools in SA is the final year of Primary School. He will still be a little younger than many of his peers, so to put him in a higher year might be socially difficult (particularly being a boy, as they tend to mature socially a little later than girls!)

Hope that helps.

By the way, Year 7 in primary school is a great year for him to be in while he finds his feet in Oz - they do a lot of sports, activities, and even have a graduation, and usually get to wear a special Year 7 sweatshirt which singles them out as the top year in the school, and do stuff like helping out on the school reception desk, going on camps etc. My son is in year 7 and it does sometimes seem a bit of a dossy year, but High School is quite high pressured here so it's a nice chance to be a carefree kid for that one last year before stresses of homework and assignments intrude!