Going back to the UK... do we ship or sell???

Guest thebaddeleys

Guest Lauren & Alan

Many thanks for the adice, I shall thibnk more seriously but for us most of our furniture has been fitted and knowing that one day we would be in Oz I guess we have never bought quality items so dont feel that much furniture wise is worth taking. I think toys are important for familiarity for the children so will let them take what they want to.

I see you are in Hallet Cove, we have looked at that area (on line only!), it looks wonderful.

Hiya,

I would think twice before selling everything - the stuff that you own has probably been accumulated over a number of years, and you perhaps don't have a true feel for it's monetary value.

We've shipped everything over on the basis that 'it'll do' until we can replace it - not that it's all knackered, but everyone likes new things...... It's due to arrive with us next week, and I can't wait. Once we'd listed everything we'd got for the marine insurance, we realised that the cost of shipping was less than one-tenth of the cost of buying it all again. Might be an exercise worth going through before you decide....

Since we got here, we've spent six weeks in furnished accomodation and the last two weeks in our own (mostly empty!) house, buying the minimum amount of new decent stuff that we would need in any case, and buying cheap where we know our stuff is going to replace it soon. And we've managed just fine! It's even been quite fun - and my OH is now the self-proclaimed master of sniffing out a bargain...... :)

Last point - large furnishings and white goods are not noticeably cheaper than the UK in most cases, even with a bit of haggling, though you might get lucky......

Good luck with the move,

Sharon.

Guest ben&sharon
Many thanks for the adice, I shall thibnk more seriously but for us most of our furniture has been fitted and knowing that one day we would be in Oz I guess we have never bought quality items so dont feel that much furniture wise is worth taking. I think toys are important for familiarity for the children so will let them take what they want to.

I see you are in Hallet Cove, we have looked at that area (on line only!), it looks wonderful.

It's different for everyone, but do think about it carefully. I think most people (us included) underestimate what it actually costs to set your life up again. Other than one or two bits, we also didn't have much in the way of 'quality' stuff, but what we have bought with us has been very useful and will do until we pull the house into some shape!

And Hallett Cove is fantastic - we love it here. :)

Sharon.

Guest kangomik

take everything, i wish we had brought everything now.

Cost up what you have, and what you paid for it, half it or use a third of that paid price, and if your lucky thats what you will get for the items when sold. You will be looking at few grand easily.

How much money will you have when you return to the UK, will you have enough cash to buy the house and furnish it? Or will you have a small deposit and enough cash to furnish it?

We were told before we came to Aus that the houses are so big UK furniture will not fit, what a mistake that was LOL.

For those selling, let us know nearer the time, i need another fridge/freezer for the beer and meat.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Kerry

I did reply to your pm but have not heard anything so in case it didn't work I didn't want you to think I hadn't replied. We are moving back in March hopefully and are shipping most of our stuff back. Its such a big move to go back I don't think I could cope with buying everything new. I think it would probably work out a lot more expensive. We have also bought some nice furnitiure here which we would like to take with us. Hope all goes well with the move back. if you are anything like me you will be feeling nervous about it all but excited too.

Guest mayjess

If anyone is selling a cheap run around car in April, let me know, we are landing 16th April and will need a car asap.

Good Luck to those returning to the UK, I did it, its not half as stressful as going back to Adelaide !!!!

thanks

Mayjess

Anyone looking for a cheep car, speak to Mini.

Having seen the one is her garage that will be sold. I can certainly say it looks tidy and worth having if your planning on coming over from the UK

Just a thought.

Val, nice to meet you and hopefully speak again before you leave.

Good luck with the sale and then the move.

Let me Know what the cost is for the other item, if you can

Regards

D and A

Guest mayjess
Anyone looking for a cheep car, speak to Mini.

Having seen the one is her garage that will be sold. I can certainly say it looks tidy and worth having if your planning on coming over from the UK

Just a thought.

Val, nice to meet you and hopefully speak again before you leave.

Good luck with the sale and then the move.

Let me Know what the cost is for the other item, if you can

Regards

D and A

Thanks for that, whos mini, and have you a contact for her/him, email addy?

Mayjess