Guest mandmick

P.r visa and citizenship

Guest mandmick

I've noticed it's 4 years in OZ before applying for Citizenship..

What if you don't apply?

We have sub class 138 P.R visa, have validated it this year.. so does it still expire in 2013?

What's the rule with minimum time to spend in OZ?

Do we just renew it in 2013?

Thanks!

Guest Nicky&Andy

weve got the same , validated it in feb this yr, then we have to return to stay by 2013, but you need citizen ship if you want to come and go after this time,Not sure how long to get it citizen ship, think its about 4-5yrs. if you do leave before you need a special visa, other wise you cant just go back into oz, (not 100% but pretty sure)

When your visa expires you have to get a Resident Return Visa (RRV) if you want to be able to travel outside Australia and be let back in again. To get an RRV the general requirement is that you have to have been resident in Australia for 2 out of the previous 5 years. The RRV will then be valid for another 5 years and currently this visa costs $260.

I know all this because I used to have an RRV, but having lived outside Australia for 12 years I lost my right to get another one. In exceptional circumstances they will grant you one even if you don't meet the 2 out of 5 years criteria, but I didn't think my circumstances were exceptional so I had to start at the beginning again and get a Spouse Visa (much more expensive!!).

Guest Nicky&Andy

thanks for the info, much better than i thought, was worring as my older son is not comming , so if i needed to go to uk in a hurry that sounds much easier, thought there would be lots of red tape.

thanks again