Drive in Cinema?

Guest Lisajonesey

Guest Lisajonesey

Hi Everyone..

I have heard a very exciting rumour....

Adelaide has Drive in Cinema's???!

Is it true?:chatterbox:

Does anyone know of anywhere near Glenelg (or within a 30 min drive)

Thanks for the help

Lisa

yep, we haven't been but one of my boys went with a friend. Apparently its $20 a car, that's really cheap as we took the boys to the cinema last week and it cost us £67 for 2 adults and 4 kids:arghh:

We go quite often - both in the summer and the winter, when we all snuggle up under a pile of quilts in the back of the Territory with the boot open! You tune in your radio to the soundtrack frequency or they do have speakers dotted around. Movie times and lists here: http://www.yourmovies.com.au/cinemas/?venue_id=245156

Do take your own stuff to eat and drink though (we take mulled wine in the winter, a chilled bottle in the summer - plus maltesers, crisps and drinks for the kids of course!) - there is a Hungry Jacks nearby and onsite sales (hot dogs etc) but both are pretty rank!

It's just on the north side of Main North Road of the Gepps Cross Junction (where Port Wakefield, Grand Junction and Main North Roads intersect) - turn left just before (I think - might be just after!) the caravan place!

PS Another tip for newbies is that normal cinemas are generally cheaper on Tuesday nights - adults at child prices etc

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Lisa,

Just one drive-in left now but still great fun. Something else you may also be interested in, is the Lighthouse cinema at Port Adelaide, in summer. It's an outdoor cinema, where people take their deckchairs or picnic rugs, drinks and nibbles, right under the red lighthouse in the centre of the Port. Very civilised and costs nothing. Details will be on Port Adelaide Enfield Council website nearer the time. There are also cinema nights in the Botanic Gardens in the city during the summer, so keep an eye open for that too - overseas visitors love that experience, if you have anyone coming over, but they do charge there.

Cheers, Kazza

The Botanical gardens have showings over the summer (not drive in of course, but open air)

Also, if you're ever in the riverlands, there's a drive in at Barmera (near Berri and Lake Bonney)

A lot of the suburbs do the open air cinema thing in the summer - Tea Tree Gully Council does it on Civic Park, and I have seen Campbelltown advertising too. If in doubt, give your local library a call or keep an eye on your Messenger newspaper.

Usually not the latest fillms though.

Botanic Gardens did do a singalong version of Mamma Mia last year, but bear in mind that at some of these outdoor events, you're at the mercy of flies and other small flyng insects that come out at dusk on the warmer evenings! Don't open your mouth too wide when singing.....!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moonraker1959

There were several "drive-ins"in Adelaide when I was growing up!I remember as kids (new immigrants)my parents took us to the Gepps Cross drive-in to see......Paint your wagon!Then as a teenager it was the done thing to head to the drive-in on a Saturday night.Used to be packed too!We used to all go in car loads (some in the boot shhhhh:)lol)There would be queue's of traffic most Saturday nights,sad how things change!Then half time massive queue's again for the diner.Chiko rolls used to sell like hot cakes!As did the hot dog!Happy times back then!

Guest ReadyPenny

Yep, we saw "Up" there acouple of weeks ago $20 per car, took our own snacks and sat outside on deckchairs, wearing coats of course!!!!

Well worth a visit

Mandy

Guest caoimhe

We just went on Thursday night, Me, my O/H, our 4 kids and 2 of their friends.....all they charged was $20, didn't even look to see how many was in the car and as we have an 8 seater that kind of looks like a van it was a bit of a give away that there could be more than 5 in it :biglaugh:

Brought our own popcorn, snacks and drinks....Can't wait till the summer when we will bring some wine and nibbles and make a night of it sitting out on the camp chairs....all for $20...can't beat it:jiggy:

Guest Rachel10

The only Drive-In is at Gepps Cross, which is far northern metropolitan area. It is about a forty minute drive from Glenelg (depending on traffic.) We go there regularly with the kids, but it can be difficult in daylight savings as it doesn't get dark until 9pm! If you look up Wallis Cinemas on the web and type in Gepps Cross, you can get all the prices and what's on.