Been here a year.

Guest Trakki

and an interesting one it has been, it has certainly not been the year we planned but we got there.

We arrived here on 19th September with no expectations and only £4500 in cash and an empty bank account, we had decided to take it as it happened. We had a one year plan, that was that I would work full time for 6months to a year, Pete would look after the children, then he would job hunt and I would cut my hours. This was not to be!!! We were lucky in the fact that I had a job secured before we arrived and started work 2 weeks after getting here. This I did while we were still in short term rentals. We had a pig of a time getting a long term rental as not many people wanted to rent to a family with 4 children and I will admit that this was the only time that I wanted to go back to England, I was tired and worried about what we had done to the children dragging them all the way over here to end up living on the streets. This obviously didn't happen and we secured a rental, first hurdle overcome.

We then settled into family life, after all family life is family life wherever you live. We were thoroughly enjoying life, going out in the first 2 months more than we had in 5 years in the UK. Then just after Christmas came a bombshell that totally changed our year plan. I fell pregnant! No maternity pay for me as not been at work long enough so when the news finally sunk in Pete had to find a job, this we thought would be hard as he essentially has no formal qualifications and we had read of people on here struggling with jobs, he applied to be a postie and got the job, so not bad, one application and a job. Hurdle 2 overcome. Due to being pregnant there was a lot of things that we had wanted to do that we couldn't but we still were loving the lifestyle we had. Once Pete had a job I had to sweet talk my boss to drop my hours and get the shifts I needed to work around Pete and the children. We had to put Niamh and Joe into childcare which we hadn't wanted to do initially but so glad we did now as they are loving it. One all the logistics of work and child care was sorted, family life settled again. Jack and Sophie are loving their school and the change in Jack is amazing, he wouldn't speak to his teacher in the UK, wasn't interested in soccer or anything like that. Since being at school here he has recently stood infromt of his class and given a long talk on our journey here, he has joined the soccer team and loved it, he now can't wait for next season to start and is thinking about joining a cricket team now. Sophie is also flourishing at school and is now doing dancing (jazz). Niamh and Joe love their child care. Then on August 16th Kian was born bringing us to a family of 7. I am now on leave without pay until March, Pete is working and loving his job and I am loving being at home.

I would like to think that we have taken every hurdle thrown at us in our stride and even though our year plan changed so dramatically we are loving it here and seeing how fantastic the children are developing and growing reassures us that we have made the right decision. Me and Pete (although generally laid back people) are even more relaxed than ever and enjoy our days off now. We certainly have a better family life than we ever did.

It has not been an easy year and although I have waffled :chatterbox:on here there is so much more I could rwrite about our first year. it hasn't been easy but we love it and we are here to stay. Sorry if you are bored to death!! :biglaugh::SLEEP:

absolutely not bored to death, this is the sort of thing that i worry about, not having a job lined up, is it fair to the children to take them half way around the world to start again, you have just boosted my confidence in what we are doing a hundrefold, and need threads like this to re-assure, that we are doing the right thing for us as a family, thank you xxx

p.s. so glad you are loving it and congrats on the new addition

Shona (35) Ian (35) Elisha (11) Mitchell (7) and Ty (2)

Congratulations on your first year in Adealide. You certainly have faced a few challenges along the way (someone is in your side). I am a believer in "what is meant to be", you have to be when you say you are stopping at two children and then two more down the line!!!!! Didn't realise there were such prejudices about renting with the amount of children you have. Have to face this ourselves in the next couple of weeks, we have 3.

Well done for sticking it out and not throwing the towel in.

Here's to a good second year.

Jackie

Its only when you have rough times you can appreciate the easy times! atleast the kids are happy, I think thats a massive weight off your mind. Congrats on sticking it out.

Mayjess

If anyone deserves to 'make it' here its you and Pete. As you said you came with no expectations and what you have is now a wonderful family life with one more member than what you thought.

We hope you have many more sucessful years in Adelaide...hopefully no more added extras though:biglaugh:

CONGRATULATIONS on your first year and that its all working out although at a slightly different angle than planned. the best laid plans never seem to go smoothly but you seem have got through fantastically and it was great to meet you both. You both seem so happy and chilled.

Great post and heres to the next many years here :)

Kath x

Onya guys - think you've said it all :):)

Funny because I was just thinking your "year" was up - must be telepathic - or is that mental:goofy:

Health and happiness in your years to come to you all.

Guest rockpool crab

WOW..what a story..that's just fantastic and such an inspiration.

I wish you all the luck in the world but don't think you guys need it :)

Have a great life..sounds like you've worked hard for it.

carol ann

wow, what a year!

but i knew if anyone can make it - it's the 2 of you ... talking of being laid back :biglaugh:

thanks for that upbeat post; it does take some of my wobbles away :goofy:

it's so nice to hear that the kids are happy - that's one of the best things to watch and the main reason we are doing it!

here's to many many more happy years and we'll drink to that very soon!!

oh, now you just have to find a way to keep pete busy so there won't be any more 'surprises' ;)

It was great to read your post - thanks so much for writing it... It's funny how life turns out isn't it... So many changes in only a year! We've been here only three weeks and already things are turning out differently to how we planned [ not in a bad way.... just different]. I think your attitude to life is brilliant and quite inspirational really - I want to become a chilled out mama myself and let things 'be' a bit more... ! Thanks for a great post, Jacinta x

Guest cunnah10
and an interesting one it has been, it has certainly not been the year we planned but we got there.

We arrived here on 19th September with no expectations and only £4500 in cash and an empty bank account, we had decided to take it as it happened. We had a one year plan, that was that I would work full time for 6months to a year, Pete would look after the children, then he would job hunt and I would cut my hours. This was not to be!!! We were lucky in the fact that I had a job secured before we arrived and started work 2 weeks after getting here. This I did while we were still in short term rentals. We had a pig of a time getting a long term rental as not many people wanted to rent to a family with 4 children and I will admit that this was the only time that I wanted to go back to England, I was tired and worried about what we had done to the children dragging them all the way over here to end up living on the streets. This obviously didn't happen and we secured a rental, first hurdle overcome.

We then settled into family life, after all family life is family life wherever you live. We were thoroughly enjoying life, going out in the first 2 months more than we had in 5 years in the UK. Then just after Christmas came a bombshell that totally changed our year plan. I fell pregnant! No maternity pay for me as not been at work long enough so when the news finally sunk in Pete had to find a job, this we thought would be hard as he essentially has no formal qualifications and we had read of people on here struggling with jobs, he applied to be a postie and got the job, so not bad, one application and a job. Hurdle 2 overcome. Due to being pregnant there was a lot of things that we had wanted to do that we couldn't but we still were loving the lifestyle we had. Once Pete had a job I had to sweet talk my boss to drop my hours and get the shifts I needed to work around Pete and the children. We had to put Niamh and Joe into childcare which we hadn't wanted to do initially but so glad we did now as they are loving it. One all the logistics of work and child care was sorted, family life settled again. Jack and Sophie are loving their school and the change in Jack is amazing, he wouldn't speak to his teacher in the UK, wasn't interested in soccer or anything like that. Since being at school here he has recently stood infromt of his class and given a long talk on our journey here, he has joined the soccer team and loved it, he now can't wait for next season to start and is thinking about joining a cricket team now. Sophie is also flourishing at school and is now doing dancing (jazz). Niamh and Joe love their child care. Then on August 16th Kian was born bringing us to a family of 7. I am now on leave without pay until March, Pete is working and loving his job and I am loving being at home.

I would like to think that we have taken every hurdle thrown at us in our stride and even though our year plan changed so dramatically we are loving it here and seeing how fantastic the children are developing and growing reassures us that we have made the right decision. Me and Pete (although generally laid back people) are even more relaxed than ever and enjoy our days off now. We certainly have a better family life than we ever did.

It has not been an easy year and although I have waffled :chatterbox:on here there is so much more I could rwrite about our first year. it hasn't been easy but we love it and we are here to stay. Sorry if you are bored to death!! :biglaugh::SLEEP:

such a lovely thread to read ......hats off to you guys xxxxx

Guest graandjac

Spot on.....everyone has hurdles, and it makes you stronger, glad to see that it all worked out , now you need to get to the family planning clinic or pete can come and join my club....!!!:biglaugh:. Looking forward to raising a glass or two........;)

Well done all of you. What a family you are! You are definitely laid back and accept whatever happens with good grace. Great to have met up with you and best wishes for the coming year.

Cazzie and Bill x

wow what an inspiration u are! were stuck in uk at mo had visas 4 three years, had massive probs with selling our house and cash probs now living with in laws 2 save as much as pos and come out 2 adalaide none of this been easy and i trully dont think we meant to come out but were not giving up and will b arriving nxt year with not much cash but a strong family and a determination to suceed and at last to start to live our lives. thankyou so much for your post ; you have made us so much more determind to see this thru. xx