A Warning to all Scottish Teachers!!! (or anyone else who will need a police check)

Guest allie

Hi all :)

Just had the worst experience with the teaching registration board. They do not accept Disclosure Scotland police checks as they are considered a local police check and not a national one!!! What the hell??!!!!:arghh::arghh:

So be warned if you are coming over with a Disclosure Scotland form that the TRB wont accept it and some other places may not either. You need to apply for a police check from ACPO instead so that it covers the entire united kingdom (although you cant apply online so im having a right faff trying to post things off to the uk now) Total nightmare....

Best to get one before you come over - slightly less stressful i would think!

Allie x

Hi all :)

Just had the worst experience with the teaching registration board. They do not accept Disclosure Scotland police checks as they are considered a local police check and not a national one!!! What the hell??!!!!:arghh::arghh:

So be warned if you are coming over with a Disclosure Scotland form that the TRB wont accept it and some other places may not either. You need to apply for a police check from ACPO instead so that it covers the entire united kingdom (although you cant apply online so im having a right faff trying to post things off to the uk now) Total nightmare....

Best to get one before you come over - slightly less stressful i would think!

Allie x

Hi Allie, we were confused to what we required so we're using the one for the PCC we used for migration. OH rang and they said that was ok, just hope it is.

Sorry you've had hassle and it's nice that you've alerted people.

Cheers,

Cooler

Hiya

I had a very similar experience, came over In April this year with all the necessary paperwork(or so I thought) only to be told I had the incorrect Police check with me. I had to write by snail mail to the Met Police in London. It took approx 6 weeks, then get an Aussie police check. After that all comes through I was able to then put an application to become registered to teach. That took a further 3 weeks as a board meets to process applications every few weeks.

As soon as I arrived I did my mandated notification training and first aid certificate too.

Anyway, once everything had gone through I recieved a letter of Employable Teacher Register Acknowledgement which was by then June ie. 2 months after we arrived. Which seems like a short time span now but at the time it was an eternity as we came over with no jobs and have 2 kids. I really needed to start work asap.

Anyway, I have been incredibly busy as a TRT:)- temporary Relief Teacher= supply teacher. I joined some cluster schemes and also put my resume into local schools in person. I basically am on the books of about 5 primary schools and worked 39 out of a possible 49 days last term. Sometimes I am booked in advance or otherwise get a call at about 6.30 in the morning. Am on holidays now and enjoying not answering the phone so early, am enjoying spending time with our boys aged 8 and 6. Term 4 starts on October 12th- December 11th. I have been warned that TRT really is quiet in Term 1, so may well be seeking some work in a shop in the city! for that period. :cute:

Are you a primary or secondary teacher? Best of luck with everything. If you have any questions about the process I'll do my best to help.

Hi, I forgot to add earlier: if there are any teachers out there teaching in Adelaide who have any advice /tips in securing teaching work other than TRT work( supply). The thought of not getting paid in the long hols and for the majority of Term 1 is pretty scary!! :nah: