Sign in to follow this  
Guest willow

Hi all,first post...oldest student ever?

Guest willow

Hi everyone,we have been using this site for over a year now and think it's great but this is our first post. We are a family of 4, 2 boys of 17 & 8 and we are desperate to come to Adelaide. My husband (44) has been trying unsuccessfully for a year to find a sponsor.He has made copious phone calls to prospective employers and sent many e- mails, but to no avail,(everyone replied to our e- mails, which we thought was great, just not with the right answer!) They all say they are unwilling to take anybody on a 457 visa in this economic climate, but were impressed with his c.v and if he was over there they would definitely take him on on a casual basis with a view to permanency.I am 47 and haven't worked for several years so we are wondering about going on a student visa as a way in, myself being the student whilst Dave looks for work.We would be grateful for any advice,my main question being am I too old?We are optimistic people who don't give up easily, but I must admit to having a certain amount of trepidation. It does help that our children are keen to go to Oz, we have friends in Adelaide(Port Noarlunga South) and they love it.Anyway,sorry for such a long post,we would welcome any opinions from anybody. Many thanks in advance- hope to see you all soon!!!

Karen.

Guest fuji70

Hiya

First of all, good for you for not giving up!

I am 39 and also considered studying as I want to retrain anyway and also wanted to be back in Melbourne. I got accepted on a couple of courses but in the end decided against it given the current economic climate. International student fees are astronomical!!

I looked at the TAFEs as they do more vocational courses, but after a reccie to them in both Perth and Sydney I realised that they were full of teenagers and not really for me. :nah:

I did then get offered a place to study marketing at a private college which seemed much better.

However.....last Christmas I decided to send my CV to a couple of migration agents to see if they had any suggestions. To cut a long story short I am now living in Adelaide with a 3 year work visa (and job hunting) and absolutely loving it.

If you haven't already, it may be worth you considering agents. I approached two, Trrue Blue (who offer advice in the Australia and New Zealand magazine sold in the UK) and another one who's name escapes me. Both emailed me the next day to say that i would qualify for a 3 year regional visa. True Blue rang me the same day and I spoke to them for about half an hour. I then emailed them tons of 'what if' questions and they answered them all. This was absolutely free advice.

In the end I decided to go ahead and get them to lodge my application and here I am. It wasn't cheap, but it was a fraction of the cost of studying. Also, if you don;t get your visa, they give you your agency fee back. AND REMEMBER....A REGIONAL SPONSORSHIP VISA MEANS THE WHOLE OF SA, INCLUDING ADELAIDE :)

So that's a very long response to say a) don't give up and b) Contact a few (several as you may get differing advice) agents as their initial advice for what you would qualify for is free. I'd personally recommend True Blue as they were great with me, but different people will have different recommendations, so do some homework.

Good luck!

Jo

Guest willow

Hi Jo,thanks so much for responding.

We do have a migration agent and it was his suggestion to try the student visa.It was very interesting to hear your thoughts on it.We did have a look at the regional visa but we didn't have enough points and Dave is almost 45 so we wouldn't be able to make it anyway.We won't give up until we've exhausted all avenues,it's hard for our boys as they want to move and our youngest keeps asking when we are leaving.In retrospect we shouldn't have said anything to them but they would wonder why daddy keeps getting up in the middle of the night to make phone calls and why people with australian accents are phoning us!Anyway,thanks again for your advice,anything you can add please do,and I'm pleased that you made it there. Are you enjoying it and will you be able to get P.R?

Karen

Guest mayjess
    Hi Jo,thanks so much for responding.

We do have a migration agent and it was his suggestion to try the student visa.It was very interesting to hear your thoughts on it.We did have a look at the regional visa but we didn't have enough points and Dave is almost 45 so we wouldn't be able to make it anyway.We won't give up until we've exhausted all avenues,it's hard for our boys as they want to move and our youngest keeps asking when we are leaving.In retrospect we shouldn't have said anything to them but they would wonder why daddy keeps getting up in the middle of the night to make phone calls and why people with australian accents are phoning us!Anyway,thanks again for your advice,anything you can add please do,and I'm pleased that you made it there. Are you enjoying it and will you be able to get P.R?

Karen

Hi Karen

You say your hubby Dave, is almost 45, so cant you lodge the application asap? he isnt 45 yet, they allow it from the date of you lodging it, I know from our own experience. I can see the passion you have to get over to Adelaide, hold on to that, it will get you thru, because your looking at every possibility.

Wishing you tons of luck

Mayjess

Guest fuji70

Hi Karen

Try another agent!! 2 agents were useless with me, one even telling me that my experience and qualifications wouldn't be enough to be sponsored as a community worker. Garbage!!

See the note above about lodging prior to being 45 years old too.

Jo

Guest willow

Thanks for your kind words Mayjess. Unfortunately ,we won't have enough points to lodge an application as dave's occupation as a youth worker is only 40 points.If you were awarded points on dedication and determination we'd have about 3,000! If a student visa is our only way then we'll have to go for it. I just wonder if anyone has done that and not been successful.We'll keep trying for sponsors in the meantime, and hope that others post their experiences on here.

Take care

Karen

Guest Rob&SamThomas

Just to let you know we lodged our visa 5 days before my husband was 45 and it was granted - we are now enjoying life in Adelaide so don't give up.

Good luck

Guest willow

Hi Rob &Sam

Good on you for managing to do that just in time, it's given us some hope. We've just read that youth worker has been taken off the SOL list so the student visa is looking even more likely. If we could find a sponsor all our prayers would be answered. Dave has said that he would be willing to work for nothing for 2 years to encourage someone to sponsor us!

Anyway,thanks for the encouraging words,

Karen