Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Come on you Dogs

Last quarter and 40 points ahead....Come on You Dogs!!! Love the fact that the supporters have the big Union Jack waving as well - far be it from me to start a north/south competition thing...but Come On You Dogs!!!!

Guest Django

This thread is way above my head. I haven't a scooby what you're on about. :goofy:

Well Pete, presumably it didn't manage to escape your notice that last weekend there was a big final match on in Aussie Rules football? That was the AFL final - although there was no South Australian representation in it (apart from a couple of umpires). Great time to be driving anywhere, the roads were empty!!

Going back in history, there didn't used to be an 'AFL' but there was a 'VFL' (not to be mistaken for a VPL which is something different entirely) - Victorian Football League - and when other states wanted to join in but didn't like it being so exclusively named, it was renamed 'AFL' (to show that it covers the whole of Australia - apparently!) That's what teams like the Crows and Port play in (although Port Adelaide do also have a SANFL team - see below - and the Crows was originally formed from players from all different SANFL teams, hence why some Port traditionalists have never accepted it as a 'proper' team!)

This week was the SANFL grand final (South Australian 'National' (??) Football League) contested between the two best teams at the end of the season, in this case: the Central Districts Football Team (aka the Bulldogs, being mainly made up historically of northern suburbs players, a lot of whom have British blood - 'ten pound poms' and all that) and Sturt (aka the Double Blues, having as they do shirts with light and dark blue on them, and primariy - historically - from the southern suburbs!)

The 'Dogs have been in the ascendancy pretty much throughout the last decade- this was their 8th win - although they did lose in 2006.

You may have heard of Delta Goodrem? Her little brother plays for the 'Dogs, along with Ianb's kids' PE teacher (see post above)!

Here endeth the first lesson!! Test papers will be given out at the start of next years season - after the mysterious and strange thing that happens in November - the "draft pick" (which I don't understand myself yet - give me another five years and I may have grasped it!)

Diane

Guest Django

Ahhhhhhhhh you mean that game of cross country hoofball the aussies seem to love. :biglaugh:

Guest soggy
    Well Pete, presumably it didn't manage to escape your notice that last weekend there was a big final match on in Aussie Rules football? That was the AFL final - although there was no South Australian representation in it (apart from a couple of umpires). Great time to be driving anywhere, the roads were empty!!

Going back in history, there didn't used to be an 'AFL' but there was a 'VFL' (not to be mistaken for a VPL which is something different entirely) - Victorian Football League - and when other states wanted to join in but didn't like it being so exclusively named, it was renamed 'AFL' (to show that it covers the whole of Australia - apparently!) That's what teams like the Crows and Port play in (although Port Adelaide do also have a SANFL team - see below - and the Crows was originally formed from players from all different SANFL teams, hence why some Port traditionalists have never accepted it as a 'proper' team!)

This week was the SANFL grand final (South Australian 'National' (??) Football League) contested between the two best teams at the end of the season, in this case: the Central Districts Football Team (aka the Bulldogs, being mainly made up historically of northern suburbs players, a lot of whom have British blood - 'ten pound poms' and all that) and Sturt (aka the Double Blues, having as they do shirts with light and dark blue on them, and primariy - historically - from the southern suburbs!)

The 'Dogs have been in the ascendancy pretty much throughout the last decade- this was their 8th win - although they did lose in 2006.

You may have heard of Delta Goodrem? Her little brother plays for the 'Dogs, along with Ianb's kids' PE teacher (see post above)!

Here endeth the first lesson!! Test papers will be given out at the start of next years season - after the mysterious and strange thing that happens in November - the "draft pick" (which I don't understand myself yet - give me another five years and I may have grasped it!)

Diane

Thanks for trying to explain, I followed it ok at the start but got lost after "well Pete"

Simon:)