Diane

Chooks

Anyone keep Chooks? Anyone know the best place to buy your chooks from - I think we need Pullets....??? (Live ones I mean as opposed to overn-ready)

No-one knows anywhere I can buy some young chickens then? Anyone seen any for sale at any markets??

Guest Guest75

I'll ask about down here- two of our neighbouring propertys have chooks - both semi commercial and selling eggs.

Dunno if I' fancy the long drive back o your place with a ca full of irate chooks though! :goofy::goofy:

Guest LOOBYLOO

Hi

We keep chooks. You can buy them at the Lions Auction held on last Saturday of the month (between McLaren Vale & Willunga). Next auction Sat 31 Oct starts 8am.

If you are down south the Lonsdale Bird shop on O'Sullivans Beach Road has some 5 week old Isabrowns, and some fully grown Rhode Island reds in stock, and my mate Claire sells chooks at her business - Sandersons Fodder in Coromandal Valley.

If you need any chook info try www.sprcentre.co.uk - my FIL is a renowned chook expert and is willing to answer chook type questions by email (although he's on hols at the mo). His book is worth getting hold of if you want expert advice.

Thanks all, I'm going to try Gawler Market when it's next on as apparently they have them there. We only want two (any more and they'll beat the dog and the cat up, not to mention irritating the neighbours!) so hopefully we'll be able to find some. Thanks for website too Sharon, will have a browse...I did find a forum - http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/ - which has some interesting reading. Biggest concern is how to keep them cool when it's 40 degrees outside....

Guest Guest75
    Thanks all, I'm going to try Gawler Market when it's next on as apparently they have them there. We only want two (any more and they'll beat the dog and the cat up, not to mention irritating the neighbours!) so hopefully we'll be able to find some. Thanks for website too Sharon, will have a browse...I did find a forum - http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/ - which has some interesting reading. Biggest concern is how to keep them cool when it's 40 degrees outside....

You should have as much shade as possible and go in with the sprinkler hose on the hot days.

Even had chooks on my lap spraying with the spray mister before now - before they turn into broilers:biglaugh:

Guest moonraker1959

Hi try the livestock column of the Advertiser,especially I think on a Saturday.There's also a real good book "Jackie French's chook book".I used to keep chooks when I lived in the Adelaide Hills and I just made sure they had plenty of shade (I planted shrubs in their chook run,and yes it was spacious lol)Also of course ensure they have access to plenty of fresh water at all times,they may not eat that much when its very hot,just like people I guess!!!Mine also had access to lots of dirt/dust for "baths".

Guest inehme

Hi Diane,

I have 3 brown layers hens for sale. They are 9 months old. We raised them in our backyard and we have to sell them because we are moving houses.

$15 each

Hi Diane,

I have 3 brown layers hens for sale. They are 9 months old. We raised them in our backyard and we have to sell them because we are moving houses.

$15 each

Thanks for that, and for Moonrakers post. I actually saw an ad in the 'Tiser couple of Saturdays ago and spoke to them - can't actually get the things till OH has built their chook house for them, so am waiting for that then it's all systems go!

Guest kangomik

Hi Diane

Theres a place off main North road sells them, turning right just after Bills Honda (motorbikes) heading towards the city.

Well there have been some for sale the last few times i have been looking at bikes, erm i mean working in that area!

Is there a limit to how many you can keep, i can't find anything on the council website?

I think the number you can keep probably depends on the space you have to keep them in - they get lonely if you get just one though apparently! Council usually just sets rules on not having cockerels, coz of the neighbours' complaints!! You gonna get some for the new puppy to play with Mik?

D

Guest kangomik

i think they would keep the puppy fit..... only joking...... i want a duck really.