Pesty650

Dyson - Take or not?

We have just had the removals people round for quotes.

We have an old Dyson that we aren't going to take with us, and we thought we would buy a new one once in Oz. However, we have just looked at the price of a new Dyson in Oz and have now thought about buying one in the UK before we leave.

Will the AQIS chaps still want to fumigate a brand new Dyson? Also if they think its new will we get stung for Import taxes?

Anyone know how much fumigation of a Dyson is likely to cost?

What have other people done?

Guest lippy
    We have just had the removals people round for quotes.

We have an old Dyson that we aren't going to take with us, and we thought we would buy a new one once in Oz. However, we have just looked at the price of a new Dyson in Oz and have now thought about buying one in the UK before we leave.

Will the AQIS chaps still want to fumigate a brand new Dyson? Also if they think its new will we get stung for Import taxes?

Anyone know how much fumigation of a Dyson is likely to cost?

What have other people done?

We brought two over. Just get it spotless (a good clean) and you shouldn't have any problems. Ours were filthy because of the dog hair and dust etc but we didn't have any problem. Cleaning them wasn't the esiest but you can do it! They are expensive here.

Good luck

Julie

Guest ben&sharon

We bought ours over but made sure it was clean - and it was one of the items that quarantine inspected. We were also thinking of bringing a new one and were advised to ensure that it wasn't in it's original packaging, or we'd have to pay duty on it......

brought an old one- cleaned it up and bought a new one, took it out of box, assembled (put it back in box - all good

much cheaper there

Guest Kazzarazza

Dyson will cost more here because it is a UK product and is imported - therefore there are import duties and transport. There are much cheaper vaccuums here but if you have to have a Dyson, and it's not going to cost you any extra to ship it over, then buy it over there. Just remember though, personal effects usually have to have been owned by you for 12 months, otherwise you may get charged the import duty. So make sure it's clean, but doesn't look "brand new", if you know what I mean.

Definitely bring it - I love my Dyson and it has broken and been repaired so many times, but that long handle is ideal for sucking up the odd spider and ant! Got a Hoover as well and it just doesn't compare!

By the way, when we first got here the Dyson suddenly stopped workiing for no apparent reason (hence why we bought the Hoover) but turns out they have a heat cut out so if you're using it in temps above 35 degs it just switches itself off! Well mine does...don't know if it's a universal thing...obviously mine wasn't designed to be used in a hot place like this is in the summer sometimes! Worked fine again once the temps dropped...

Thanks for all the replies.

I know its hard to get excited about a vacuum cleaner. I have always been very happy with my Dyson but was shocked to see just how expensive they are in Oz. It's not like they are made in the UK any more - production was moved to Asia a few years ago so probably made nearer to Oz that UK! I don't suppose the current £/A$ exchange rate helps though.

Think we'll bring one with us - everything we don't have to replace is money we don't need to spend when we get there. We will have room in the container so might as well.