Guest Stella and Dave

driving license

Guest Stella and Dave

hi folks

is it true you have to pay to hold a driving license? still on uk license at present, but have to swap before 3 months are up i understand, thanks stel

Guest nishman

Yep - an ussie licence will cost you. Although you can chose a 2, 5 or 10 year one (there may be others) depending on how much cash you want to splash at the time.

Your UK licence will be valid for 3 months here - after then you have to hold an Aussie one. We weren't told to hand the UK on over (and why should we?) - others have been told to... But as it's valid for ever (well, nearly), and allows you to drive in Europe, I'd try and hold on to it :)

Guest soggy
    hi folks

is it true you have to pay to hold a driving license? still on uk license at present, but have to swap before 3 months are up i understand, thanks stel

Hi,

if your on a PR visa you have 3 months, a year if on a temp visa, if driving on a UK licence you should carry your passport with you too, best to get an aus one anyway.

Simon:)

Just a comment, new UK photo licence is not valid forever, it also has an expiry date, check the date on section 4b of your photocard!! Note on back lets you know thats the expiry date!!!!

Guest WoodMartin
    Just a comment, new UK photo licence is not valid forever, it also has an expiry date, check the date on section 4b of your photocard!! Note on back lets you know thats the expiry date!!!!

Ditto the above - I just had a new photo card issued before leaving the UK. DVLA send a form a couple of months before the photo card expires. Had to send a new photo and the cost was £20.

OH rang to ask about renewing his photocard early as it expires in a couple of months. Was advised to swap to an Oz licence on arrival, which we are planning on doing once we secure a rental and have an address.

Ali

Guest Here at last!

Hi

I applied for a 3 year driving license and from what I can remember it cost around $130.

Sonya

Guest Stella and Dave

thanks sonya, went into rego office today, its about 42 dollars a year, but discounted if you pay up front for a longer period, e.g. approx 265 for ten years.

thanks, stel

Guest thekings

With regards to the driving licence...do you need to hold a uk photo drivers licence to swap for an Aussie one or will they accept the old version with no photo id on it??? ta in advance