Guest grimgooner

child benefit

Guest grimgooner

if we are coming over on a 457 visa are we able to claim child benefit, and what is the best medical insurance on offer

unfortunately not, you are not entitled to any child benefit unless your a permanent resident. You will be entiteld to medicare under the reciprocal agreement though !!!:)

On a 457 you are able to get hospital and extra's cover with some of the providers - Medibank definately do it - the cost isn't loaded as it would be for a resident but its not cheap, you are probably looking at cost of around $250 a month for a family of four. We are permanent residents and have it now but we didn't get it until we had no option but to do it at that time otherwise we would have had loading for our ages. The care you will receive int the public system (medicare) will be fine I wouldn't worry too much about it, although I would seriously consider extra's cover alone (approx $60 per month) as dental treatment here is ridiculously expensive, although I have to say I think the standard is better.

Lindsey

Guest grimgooner
    unfortunately not, you are not entitled to any child benefit unless your a permanent resident. You will be entiteld to medicare under the reciprocal agreement though !!!:)

ok thanks clare my wife is a midwife and has got herself a job at burnside war memorial hospital god were so nervous about making the move