Pesty650

Book Swaps

Hi

I am moving out to Adelaide at the end of November.

In the UK I use a website called ReaditSwapit to exchange books with other people. Basically you buy a book, read it, and then register it on the website for free. Anyone then can choose your book, and you choose one of theirs, and you swap books. All it costs is the postage for the book. At a rough cost of £1.80 a book it saves me a fortune in new books. :jiggy:

Does anyone know of a similar thing in Oz?

Guest stmatt

I haven't found anything similar and books are so expensive here. I was in the habit of buying books cheap in supermarkets but here you usually end up paying full price. So stock up on reading material. On the plus side libraries seem to be more available. They are open longer hours and Sundays and have a different selection of books to my library in the UK.

Karen

Our local library is brilliant - when I need some new books I have http://www.thebookdepository.co.uk open on one tab, the library website open on another - use one to search for new titles by my favourite authors, the other to order them from the library (which by the way is completely free of charge!) if they have them in stock.

If it's not on the library catalogue, you can still order it but you need to do it actually face to face rather than online.

Only trouble is it means I don't do any housework, but hey.... somethings have to give!

But I still think it's a great idea for a website to set up when you get here!!

great post Diane, I too love the local library and the book depository for stuff I really want to read right now. After getting 2 parcels this week (why do they always send each book separately) and picking up my library reservations, I just can't decide what to read next .-)

hmmm maybe we can get the mods/owner to have a book exchange page, i'd certainly be willing to swap/exchange or lend

Guest allie

Agree that books are soooo expensive! I would really like to be involved in a book swap thing or a book club so maybe we set one up on here? :)

How about once a month we all have a get together for a barbie and book swap meet? Love the idea of a book club as I haven't been to one before, but I love reading!

Guest Lisado

Being a librarian I haven't heard of this but more than happy to swop books and maybe start a book club - I just pass my books on x

Guest Lisado

Okay

I also found out today (when cataloguing books) they classify them as limps and hard :err:

as in paperbacks and hardbacks!

give me shout - defos up for a bbq and book club x

Guest allie
    Okay

I also found out today (when cataloguing books) they classify them as limps and hard :err:

as in paperbacks and hardbacks!

give me shout - defos up for a bbq and book club x

lol!!:biglaugh: so when should we org the first book barbie then? Prob best to wait for slightly less stormy weather!!

Guest Here at last!

I would be up for the book club too. I have a book case groaning at the moment but no friends to pass them onto!!:sad:

I did sell a few last year to the second hand book shop but they only gave me credit to spend in the shop and their other customers obviously didn't have the same taste in books as me. She did mention that they were short on cowboy books if anyone has any!!!

My MIL buys me books from Tesco when they are on offer and posts them out. I have just discovered the library though and like the others say, they are fantastic and will get you any book from any SA library for you.

Amazon do deliver but I found the book depository slightly cheaper overall as they offer free postage.

Guest Lisado

By joing the library - you also get 2 hrs free Internet access a day - but would need to split that time up. If not a member you can have up to an hr free or use the quick computers for 15 mins access.

Been a life saver when we had no Net access.

I am such a book stamper lol

I'd also be up for book swapping - kep me posted too.

Also i went into KMart yesterday and they had a bargain book bin and they were $4 each. I managed to find a couple of gems in there.......

Mx