Why Did You Choose Adelaide?

Guest carters

Guest carters

We are now going (hopefully) to Aus on a permanent visa instead of being sponsered by sa, so we are now being asked by family and friends why not Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane etc.

We have done so much research on Adelaide that it feels like we have been there! It seems that although most people have visited other places in Ausralia many miss out Adelaide so obviously can only recommend these other places.

Is there something I have missed, to me Adelaide looks like a great place to live?

Why is it better than all the other places?

Nikki - Just wondering

This is just my opinion,

I have lived in London for 26 years and have lived in Ireland for a few and have been bought up in Australia lived in Melbourne for 18 months

Believe it or not i have been here 31 times so bit of a gypo really.

As soon as i had my 2 boys and my wife had lost her parents i just wanted a good way of life for my boys and grow old in a country where you get treated with respect in your older years.

I am not saying Adelaide is better than anywhere else we left London so there was no point in moving to another BIG city for us like Melbourne or Sydney.

We also have night life here i use to go out on a thursday night and come home on a sunday afternoon going from club to club could not do it now as would need a month to recover.

Adelaide i feel is a GREAT place for families and let your kids be kids SAFELY

just my opinion of course

Guest graandjac

Well after lots of looking it IS cheeper than almost all of the other citys except maybe Holbart, for housing,cost of living, and the make up of Adelaide just looks good. The coast and beaches, the hills and wineries, the not to big city, thats what did it for us, Cheers graham:D

Guest soggy

"Is there something I have missed, to me Adelaide looks like a great place to live?

Why is it better than all the other places?"

I dont think it can be said Adelaide is better than other places, just better for us. When I started the visa process I only had enough points for a 495 so that ruled out most of the other major cities and as my wife wants to start a business or two a city is the best place to be. The more I have looked at Adelaide compared to the other capitals the more I feel it is the best place for us, the climate, low humidity, and seasons, the lower cost of housing, the area is growing so good employment and business opportunities, and the more laid back way of life are some of the reasons Adelaide has the edge for us.

As my trade is now on modl I could now go for a 136 and choose another city, but am happy Adelaide is the place for us, I have to point out I have never been there ! maybe I will move on, we never know for sure what the future holds do we:).

Simon

Guest motlyman

Hi,

In my opinion to many people jumped on the bandwagon going to Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, Melbourne. Every one ignored Adelaide as it wasnt the "in" city to be in.

For that reason its not crowded, houses are cheaper, more jobs available, no humid weather, empty beaches, clear roads, great place for families.

I would choose it every time over the others.

Colin

Guest ralph n bev

We decided that Adelaide would be better for us as a family too, we could have gone where ever we wanted.

People ask us the same question, sometimes we wonder if we have made the right decision too . Time will tell i suppose, maybe the reccie will totally change our minds, dont think it will , 17 days isn't very long to see a place or get the right vibes, but I think when we get back we will know if it is for us or not.

One thing that bothers me is ,( with out offending anyone I hope, ) why is the government sponsering , is that the right word?

wanting ?

people to go to Adelaide , and letting them get into Australia with not enough points , as part of the visa stipulation?

Granted its not costing the government anything at all , as the visas dont entitle the holder to diddley squat, yet the holder still has to pay all the same taxes.

Which is unfair,I.M.O., but hopefully everyone knows that before they move to the other side of the world!

Is it because there is a shortage of work age people in Adelaide ?

If thats the case why do people find it so hard to get jobs once they are there, and why are most of the jobs so poorly paid, compared to all the other states??

AND

this is the big one for me personally, seeing as we are doing this for our kids ,like most folk.

Why are there not enough nurses , dentists , doctors, teachers , trades there??

Is it because, with the wages being so low that parents cant afford to send there kids on to further education to train fro these jobs?

Hope not , or we wont have done our kids any favours at all!!

Or is it because once trained they leave the country to be better paid somewhere else?

Ive often wondered?

Any one throw any light on it?

Bev:confused: ( Alias Half Empty Cup Woman!!)

Guest graandjac

Bev, no offence taken...fair point from what i have found out i think that a lot of the £10.00 poms went to Adelaide so maybe a new influx is needed

Guest ali@51

AND

this is the big one for me personally, seeing as we are doing this for our kids ,like most folk.

Why are there not enough nurses , dentists , doctors, teachers , trades there??

Is it because, with the wages being so low that parents cant afford to send there kids on to further education to train fro these jobs?

Hope not , or we wont have done our kids any favours at all!!

Or is it because once trained they leave the country to be better paid somewhere else?

Ive often wondered?

Any one throw any light on it?

Bev:confused: ( Alias Half Empty Cup Woman!!)

Bev,

Not sure if this answers your question or not. I am an accountant, which is on the MODL which surprised me when I found that out. As part of our research I spoke to a recruitment agency in Adelaide (Hays) to assess the job situation. I asked them why there was a shortage of accountants in Adelaide. The answer was that when they qualify many of them move on to the bigger cities (attracted by the bright lights I guess) and from there a lot of accountants then mov over to Britain (mainly London).

The attraction, certainly for accountants (which probaby isn't a good guide for normal people!), seems to be the ability to travel so easily within Europe. I guess that some of them must return but I would imagine that a lot are attracted back to Sydney et where there is a much greater demand and the salaries are much higher, just as in London for accountants. Maybe the same factors apply to other professions like doctors etc.

As far as wages go (if the market rates for accountants are anything to go by) the drop in salary compared to the going rates in Liverpool where I work seem to equate to the difference in the cost of living quoted on a lot of these cost of living comparison calculators on some of the other web sites.

Hopefully that means that the wages aren't driving younger people to leave for better prospects elsewhere

Mr Ali:eek:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Bev... you have asked, and think all the right things...for example...

as a hairdresser I can earn $15 an hour, that is casual, they like to employ casually here,

in the local newsagent I can earn $21

???????

I have a friend who is a mechanic, the place he worked the pay for an aprentice is $6 an hour, my friend left the trade, his visa meant he didnt have to do his trade.

It is quite hard to get a hairdressing apprenticeship as most of the salons are one man bands and just want casual help (this isnt always the case but a lot of places are).

The reason they want more people is because there is a trade shortage, because in most cases the pay is bad not many want to do it.

Adealide has been described by Ozzies in other states as a "nice big country town". This I think is very true, they are very set in their ways here, this is not always a bad thing, they like to do as their fathers and grandfathers before them did!!! This is why the younger people get trained then leave for the big city lights! Adelaide I have been told ha a very good education system here, which I tend to believe. I have been told by lots of Ozzies, Adelaide turns out the most educated people.

sarah:)

P.S they also want more people in the state for more tax!!! And it has more old people here.

We don't get a say in which state or town we live, we moved to Oz because my hubby joined their Air Force after serving 23 years in UK, (when he turned 40 and because he didn't get promoted to Sgt he was too old) so he joined the aussie Air Force.

Like all military, they say jump, we ask how high. We lived in Brisbane for two years then got posted down to Adelaide, this years posting orders came out last week and we're staying put.

Guest dglamoore
One thing that bothers me is ,( with out offending anyone I hope, ) why is the government sponsering , is that the right word?

wanting ?

people to go to Adelaide , and letting them get into Australia with not enough points , as part of the visa stipulation?

SA is often overlooked by migrants as the majority of people head for other states. When the SIR495 visa was introduced in 2004 SA was more leniant than the other states for their rules on sponsorship (with other states you have to live rural and be on a wanted skills list, SA you can live anywhere and be on the general skills list) as they wanted the population here to grow :rolleyes: Not sure about the not enough points bit? We are on an SIR495 and still had to get a required amount of points to get this visa ;) we had lost 5 points through age so for us this was the only way to get in. Thank god for the SIR495 ;) Can't answer on the wages as we both have set up companies here.

I know there are restrictions on our visa but I am just glad to be here so can live with not having to ask for benefits even if we do pay the same tax!

Lisa:cool:

Guest Guest75

Lifestyle for us and the place seemed to choose us.

The only bit I'd change is I'd like the winters to be a little warmer ;)

There has been a real skills shortage here,but not for long with the migration visas available.

Apprenticeships and training has been very underfunded and overlooked here over the past decade or so.So hence the need for overseas people with the training.

Guest graandjac

:)If you look at the last few post it seems to make sence that there is a bit of a brain drain in adelaide, young people always want the big city lights (or most of them) and Adelaide certainly is'nt this, so off they go.

So that creates a shortage which sutes us fine, i think that what ever your occupation we will all have to be patient wages wise, and not expect the best wages to start when arriving. After all most of us (taking a chance on this) are in our later:p thirties ish and to step back a little and slow down, have more time to spend with our kids, whilst still working hard is what we all want.

I still dont know anbody who has lived in or visited Adelaide who has nothing but praise for the city and area. Cheers Graham

Guest ralph n bev

wanting ?

Granted its not costing the government anything at all , as the visas dont entitle the holder to diddley squat, yet the holder still has to pay all the same taxes.

Which is unfair,I.M.O., but hopefully everyone knows that before they move to the other side of the world

Lisa

thank god for the SIR 495 cant answer for the wages as we have both set up companies here. I know that there are restrictions on our visa but i am just glad to be here so i can live with not having to ask for benifits even if we do pay the same tax.

Hi Lisa,

i am not sure about the visas other than our own, but when i say benifits i mean family allowance and help with child care costs if returning to work , working family tax credits.

Some families find not getting this , is a big cut in there monthly income. If you only have 1 child it may not mean much of a difference.

If you had 4 say, and both worked when in England, having to pay for normal state school for 4 kids and not getting the "benifits" you would get with some other visas , would cause problems.

Unless you are in a possition to be able to work for yourself. We know that if Ralph works on site he will earn a fraction of what he does now, if he gets his licences and does what he does now , over there, we will be a lot better off.

When people ask "if we really can afford this move" i honestly think that they should take all the financial negatives into consideration , sunshine doesnt pay the mortgage and feed the kids , after all.