Horse Riding

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Hi - I would like to go horse-riding and get my girls into it (I know I might regret this!!) But my oldest is only 3. Does anyone know of any local, child-friendly stables and the youngest age she could start? We live in Woodcroft!

Thank you! :wubclub:

Hi Guys,

I also live in Woodcroft. Have been here 2 years and have tried 3 places for my girls to ride.

1. There is a place in Trott Park that do riding on Sat and Sunday. Its an old Guy who is very experienced. Its is an outdoor menage, no stables, as he drives the horses there on a Saturday and leaves them in the fields over the weekend. He also does days during the holidays. Now my girls went to him for about 6 months. No complaints except it was a group lesson and they did not seem to learn much. Very good if your child just wants to 'hang around horses' and get a ride but I wouln't say he actually teaches. Also a bit hap hazzard and may not be supervisory enough for small children. Cost wise it was about $40 and hour. The good thing for me was that I could drop the girls down there and leave them there for the whole 3 hours he was there. That said mine were 8 then.

2. We then tried a place in Ernest Crescent, Woodcroft, just off the Reynell Road. Nice horses, well behaved. Was really local for us, however the teacher/owner seemed to hate kids. If I remember it was a one on one lesson but you did not always get her. She would employ young girls who would teach. They seemed to hate kids even more. My girls love riding and would do almost anything to be with horses but they really did not like it there. A friend, who is also on PIA sent her daughter there too and had an incident where her daughter was hit on the hand with a crop because she did something wrong. When she approached her about it she didn't seem to care. I think the cost was about $20 for a half hour lesson. It was very much a case of have you lesson and go tho.

I have now resorted to travelling to Blewitt Springs, which sounds a long way away but is about a 20 min drive from Woodcroft. It is a professional equestrian centre with an indoor and outdoor menage. She has some great horses and ponies. She does one on one lessons for $25 an half hour. The girls love it there as she does day clinics in the holidays and even a 'pony camp'.

Well thats only my experiences but if you need any more info let me know

Karen

Guest Lulujim

Hi - thank you so much for sharing that with us. I have called Heather from Blewitt Springs (Windemere Lodge Stables?) today and she seems lovely. (Thanks to a nice PIA member who PM'd me)

I'm hoping to visit soon to see how she goes. :)

I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks again, Alexis

• 1 year later...
Guest steveandshelltaylor

Hi Every one . My Daughter has been going to Heather for over a year now and she is fantastic and very good price $30 half hour and $25 for a joint lesson for 2 and she will teach 3 n 4 year olds . I have riden all my life and had my own horses that i used to do comps with and i have looked at loads of riding places but found Heather to be fantastic and she has an amazing indoor areana. tell heath you got her number off here via michelle taylor mias mum lol . Tel 0413529952 also Hether does a saddle club for the kids in the school holidays which is fantastic , the kids go for a full day riding grooming games etc. you will not be disappointed :-))

I have a 14 year old who loves riding. We are hoping to be somewhere south of the city, anywhere from Trott park to Port Noarlunga. Can anyone recommend any riding in that area. We have not got our own pony but she would love to ride, care for and generally hang out around horses, even better if it was quite a social thing with other teenagers there. In Uk she has looked after other peoples horses in exchange for riding time. Does this happen in Oz? Any ideas welcome.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest the Tews

Hi

Looking to move northern suburbs prob in Jan, does anyone know of any decent riding schools in the area also i'm looking to buy a horse when i get out there so are there plenty of places in which to keep it on livery?

Thanks for any help, Andrea