Average wage

Guest k8bug79

Guest k8bug79

Hi, My husband is currently applying for citizenship by descent and we are looking seriously at relocating to Adelaide. We have many reasons for wanting to move which I won't go into great depth about now. But on paper it also looks like we'll be much better off over there than here. So that is a big incentive. However I have just had a look at Poms in Oz and there is a thread on there from a gentleman who reckons he'll be earning $50K a year and has 3 children (as do we) and was asking if that would be enough. Amost all responses came back as yeah only just though. Yet when I have looked into great detail about what we would earn, what benefts we could receive for the children and living expenses it comes out looking quite good. Do you think I have got it wrong somewhere? He wasn't looking at Adelaide and I know that Adelaide is quite a bit cheaper to live in than other cities in Australia but does it make that much of a difference. In your experience what do you think is a good wage to live on out there?

Thanks in advance.

Kate

Rather depends on your personal circumstances, but as a general rule I'd say that it isn't cheaper to live here than in the UK (and some would say it costs more). Some things are cheaper, of course, and others not. Unless someone's bringing enough money to be mortgage free, I doubt many would be 'much better off' after making the move (and I mean financially, before someone points out that better off can mean lots of things apart from money).

Also, I'm not too sure about Adelaide being quite a bit cheaper to live in that other Aus cities - property is cheaper than Sydney or Perth, but other living expenses don't seem to differ too much imho.

Jim

Guest k8bug79
Rather depends on your personal circumstances, but as a general rule I'd say that it isn't cheaper to live here than in the UK (and some would say it costs more). Some things are cheaper, of course, and others not. Unless someone's bringing enough money to be mortgage free, I doubt many would be 'much better off' after making the move (and I mean financially, before someone points out that better off can mean lots of things apart from money).

Also, I'm not too sure about Adelaide being quite a bit cheaper to live in that other Aus cities - property is cheaper than Sydney or Perth, but other living expenses don't seem to differ too much imho.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I didn't suspect general living expenses to be any different across Australia. I have done a centrelink calculation but when you don't really know the system you can't really know you are inputting the right information. It is a bug help to us that my husbands job (chef) is a recognised trade over there and the wage he would expect to receive is double to what it is over here in the UK so that already puts us ona better standing. Like you said there is def more to the move than money but from the sounds of the post on PIO it was making out that we would be struggling over there which is not what I have calculated. Like you said different lifestyles etc but we would like to live a good basic lifestyle, not expecting a lot of luxuries.

Kate