tommo64

Long term rental question

Hi,

We are looking to move to Adelaide in Feb 2010. We are hoping to secure short term furnished accommodation initially before finding a long term unfurnished rental. We would like to know what other peoples experiences have been in this area as we are trying to guage how long we would need the furnished property for.

If anyone can offer advice we would be very grateful.

Guest Guest75

Hiya Tom

I'm speaking from my experiences with our guests with no intention of pushing our business services.;)

I'd recommend a month as an optimum time.

This is what a lot of our guests have said.

You may be lucky and get set up in 2 weeks or be unlucky and need longer.

In week 1 you will be getting over the jet lag and finding your feet /exploring.

Week 2 should see some serious exploring and suburb study - do try and be fair to yourself and see all of Adelaide.

Weeks 3 and 4 will be visiting as many long term rentals and hopefully finding the right one,in the right area.

3 & 4 also see you organising your container - if you bring one.Don't forget you will have to wait for it to clear Customs and they don't always keep to the original date!

3 & 4 will also see you buying anything from a complete new house full of furnishing to bits and bobs you could not get into the container.

Some people can do all this and all the other stuff a lot more quickly but the pressure upon them is immense.

Others take longer stays and completely slow down for a while and really take time to settle in a structured and stress free manner.

:)

Hi Tyke,

Thanks for that. 4 weeks was what I thought would be a realistic timescale to be honest. But I suppose it all depends on a range of factors.

Cheers,

Tom

Guest Team 'W'

hi tommo64

[love the pickie of the dog]ye we had holiday rental for four weeks needed it for another week[we was lucky it wasnt booked out]then had to relocate into another rental[please view before you part with any money]for two weeks got our long term had to push for the moving in date but megan was good and helped us out so all in all took 7/8wks like tyke said some are lucky some it takes a bit more time. luck forward to you cummin over have a safe journey.

Hi there,

We booked our short tem furnsihed for 8 weeks (still here at the mo). We have managed to secure a long term rental but fortunately it wasn't available until November which would be our weeks six. Our bits from the Uk don't arrive until them so not worried about a small overlap as it will give me time to get the new house sorted and buy the things we haven't brought with us (TV's Fridge etc).

Happy that we booked for 8 weeks as the first week to 10 days we were still getting over the jetlag and emotions.

Good luck with you move.

Julie

Guest MarkIngram

we've booked somewhere for 6 weeks - this was based around when our furniture arrives but also appeared to be the time that most people had experienced from reading on here.

Just to say thanks to all who replied with some really useful advice. On reflection, I think maybe 4 weeks is a bit of a conservative estimate so maybe we should try for a bit longer. Have to watch those pennies though!;)

Guest Lisado

We booked short term for 1 week but we were lucky to have secured a rental before we came - which we signed up to for a year. I know others will think that was madness but I trusted someone on PIA on this and also had my friend swing by - and boy did they both come up trumps.

I figured we took such huge gamble on moving over without doing a recce or even stepping foot on Aussie soil - then we thought might as well sign up for the year (after all time is flying by !)

I think short terms rentals are very expensive

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I think you were very lucky to get sorted so quickly - well done. I agree that short term rentals are very expensive - its taken us aback a bit to be honest. We thought maybe $500 p/w tops but you are looking at $700 minimum for a 3 bed place. At the moment we don't have jobs lined up so we have to assume we will be living on savings for a while. Quite scary really. Hope it's all worth it!

Cheers,

Tom