Moving to Hallett Cove - who else is there??

jo_marnes

Not defensive, just completely bored of this discussion. I take a lot of pains not to be even obliquely offensive about where anybody lives - it's none of my business and I don't understand why you insist on stirring up what has already become a very over-tired discussion in another thread.. We all have our own requirements and desires and what's right for me is quite obviously not right for you.

Well said Sharon. Not like the NE suburbs are any great shakes with lots happening either!!!

Oh sorry forgot, that would be the Reno of SA would it?

Everybody is free to choose where they want to live, and you DID come on to stir things up!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if it has been brought up before, I had no idea, I haven't gone through the entire forum looking as to what has been posted. I am just replying to a current thread.

21 posts in a week. I am 'lucky' enough to work at home on the internet, so I get time to look at forums, it breaks the monotony of what I am currently doing, but I need to finish that task today or else I wont make a living!!!

Lorluc, I wondered where you had gone to. Now I know, you left the 'dark side'

We didn't plan to live in Hallett cove before we arrived, we didn't make any decisions on areas at all, we also had a good look round before we settled on here. There may be lots of Brits here, but in my little row of 4 houses, we are the only Brits. We have made some good friends here and so have my kids. My boys get in from school, get changed and take their rods down to the sea for some fishing with their friends. I would rather that than them be sat at home moaning that they are bored or on their X box etc. I will be working in the City, and the train line is a 2 minute walk from my house and it takes 30 mins. In the UK my journey to the city was a nightmare. From here it's not.

So Like Sharon has said - it works for some - not for others. It works for us. It would be a very small world if we all liked and lived in the same place but lets not rap on people just because they choose to live in an area that you do not choose.

Good post, definitely another vote for the North as

My son comes home, DOES HIS HOMEWORK, and then plays. Obviously no homework given in HC :biglaugh:

Or maybe i'm just a nicer parent - i let mine play when the sun shines, and they do their homework after tea. Has always worked for me!!!!!

Serious questions.

Why do so many migrate to HC? I thought most people leave UK to get away from the life there, but HC seems to be like a little England?

And also please be honest, again I am not stirring, but do any of you shop at Colandes? If so, do you agree its the most feral shopping centre in Adelaide?

I must emphasise, these are valid observations. I can go into detail, on another thread, as to why I say what I do about Colonades.

No I would say Aldinga is the most feral shopping centre in adelaide ! my local :notworthy:

Guest The Pickles
I brought Ian Rush here in June, and we will get more in the future.

I thank you for bring over Ian Rush, just wish you'd arranged it a month or two later as we didn't arrive until July...

Why is it, if Adelaide is full of Brits, I never hear any in the shops, tram, beach etc??

Guest Guest75
When are you bringing Freddie Flintoff over then Matt?? I heard a rumour the other day that he was considering playing for the Redbacks next year???

When I'm in the UK I walk my brother's dog past Freddies house.

That's my claim, to fame:biglaugh:

Thanks so much for all the 'helpful' people who have turned this thread into another Hallett Cove debate - useful. Thanks so much for your input :arghh:

In actual fact, we didn't look at Hallett Cove for a long time during our house search - we were more focused on the area where we are now and were put off by the negative attitudes expressed on this forum!! But we can't afford what we want in these suburbs. We looked round Hallett Cove after approx 8 wks of searching elsewhere and couldn't believe we hadn't looked sooner. It is a beautiful suburb with schools, shops and good transport links PLUS affordable housing - what more can you ask for? We weren't overly fussed about being near the beach, that's a bonus to us. My husband needs the Noarlunga train line for work which really restricted the locations we could look. I hear a lot of negative things about all the Poms being in HC, but has anyone ever thought that maybe we move there because it's NICE???? And we are first time buyers - not many places by the sea you can buy your first home and it be big enough for a family of 5! Certainly couldn't have done that in the UK! The only reason I can see that it is cheaper than other beach suburbs is because the Aussies seem to have this idea that anything further than 20 mins from the city is not worth going too. I'd rather have the countryside than the city any day.

We are hoping to come over in Feb next year if all goes to plan and are hoping to rent in Hallett Cove to check out local areas before we buy. I note you are having a house built in the area, how did you go about this as havnt seen any land and house packages.

Also what do you think to the area including as far out as Happy Valley?

Not many land plots avail in HC now...all easily buildable ones seem to have been snapped up. Our friends were wanting one and couldn't find one. They're now buying in Flagstaff Hill and not building. That seems to be a reasonably priced area.

Guest Chelseadownunder

Welcome to Little Britain !!! (Hallett Cove) We have a little girl Poppy 3 years who goes to Kindy in Hallet Cove and my wife works in Chi Hair Salon Hallett Cove Mall.

Would be great to say hi at some point.

I hope your move goes okay.

Steve & Tracey