Guest Jane & Tony

Red Back Spiders

Guest Jane & Tony

Hi All

Has anyone been or does anyone know of anyone who has been bitten by a red back spider? If so what's it like? My Hubby says that is the only thing that puts him off going!!!! (scardy cat!!)

Thanks for replies in advaance

J&T:p

I actually held a redback on Saturday (in sealed jar) at Warrawong. The guide told us that noone has died in SA since the 1950s and they are very distinctive to look at so just steer well clear. Ben, who is 7, was shown the correct way to catch a Huntsman which was about 6cm across, these are the most common and although look scary are completely harmless.

Guest dglamoore

Don't know of anyone personally but have heard the bite makes you poorly but unless you have a severe reaction you would not die :eek:

Like most spiders (and unlike the huntsman :confused:) they are more afraid of you and if you leave them alone they will do the same. We have only seen 1 in 4 months and that was hiding in a pot in a garden centre.

Lisa:cool:

Guest BJF
    Ben, who is 7, was shown the correct way to catch a Huntsman which was about 6cm across, these are the most common and although look scary are completely harmless.

So what is the correct way? I usually suck them up with the hose on the hoover.:P

Guest Roo1
    So what is the correct way? I usually suck them up with the hose on the hoover.:P

Lol, I'm sure your way is the most effective!

I took my boy to Warrawong and the guide said to capture the spider by placing a container over it and then sliding a piece of paper underneath.

We have our own residential spider at home. Its a house spider and lives in our window. Its harmless, never comes out, just builds messy webs. At first I freaked out that my husband wanted to keep it but now I've got used to it.:o

Guest kendra

Being bitten makes you feel as if you have a bad case of the flu ...not recommended but if you are careful (like I wasnt) you will never get bitten . Wear gloves or check carefully if moving old bits iron, wood etc. Redbacks tend to stay put in dark crevices. Also watch out for snakes if moving stuff. And lizards. If you see a snake, stand still and it will move away. Don't try to hit it, that will make it cranky and they can move faster than you. If you need to move a lizard, (they often want to stay where they are) grip it firmly behind the neck so it cant bite.

Guest Rachel & Jeff

I don't like all this talk of spiders. I'm the one who moves them out of the house here but the aussie ones sound scary.

Certainly can't let my daughter read any of this or she'll never come to visit!

Rachel

Guest motlyman

We have been here 7 months now and have only seen a couple of wolfspiders in the house and that was because it was raining outside. Just put a glass over it and slid card under it and let it go outside.

Huntsman are good spiders as they eat the other nasties.:confused:

I saw my first Redback a couple of weeks back. She was hiding under a pool blanket. She was about 3cm. It was pointed out it was a she because of its size, she had just eaten her male partner.:eek:

As said before no one has died since 50s from bites. All anti venums are available.

Colin

Guest philnjulie

Hi been in oz for 2 months seen odd spider but no redbacks. Last week had to take my 9 yr old to i thought he had a mozzie bite turns out it was a spider bite and i didnt know. Next day caught a wolf spider in his room. He felt ill for the day and needed anti-biotics as the bite got infected. sorry to be a spoilt sport. Not seen any snakes though!!!!but it is winter here.

Guest TheDeansDownUnder

Hey Julie

Soz not been intouch but been busy, give us a PM when ya free

love Leanne xxx

Guest motlyman

Before we moved in to the house we set of Mortein bombs.

They are fantastic. All hidden insects come out from hiding with their hands up.

Any that are still in the house are dosy and dont cause problems as you can just glass and card them outside.

I dont believe in vacuuming them as they are still in the hoover alive so can get out again.

Colin

Guest Traci5

We did the same when we moved in our house....thank god for Mortein....for all who dont know it is a pest control spray or bomb depending on which one you use.. we Mortein all round the outside of the house every couple of months and dont get anything inside. It will kill anything that crosses over it.. great stuff!!

Oh and we have had a couple of white tips in the rental when we first got here, get the odd Huntsman and have had a redback in the garden under some rocks but no problems and the kids know to stay away and be careful when playing out.