Guest kelv&haley

our first ten days.......

Guest kelv&haley

just thought id share with how we we have found our first 10 days of being here..........

after we all recovered from the 30 hours of travelling,which to be fair was very good with three small children we started to do all the neccessary stuff to set up our new lives,bank a/c,swapping drivers licences to sa ones,reporting to immigration,tfn's.....which was all time consuming and hard when the kids were still tired and jetlagged,but we managed eventually.....

then we bought a car,and started looking at houses,and after 5 viewings we found a house and applied,the next day we were told we'd got it,so we move to seaford next wednesday......

and after driving around building sites and ringing up in the paper,a friend who already lives here found a job for the o/h(so thanks very much,mark)and he starts work next week......

now comes the part of buying furniture and getting the kids into a new school and kindy routine,which i am gonna be doing alone as o/h will be working,but its a relief that he will be earning so quickly,as that had been my major worry b4 we moved out here.......when i read this message back it sounds as though we done evertything 'no worries' but i have been very stressed and at times the kids have been very hard work,but for 10 days a car ,a house and a job is good and in amongst all the hard bits we have found time to visit lots of lovely beaches and the boys have taken to the sea really well,it's very pretty here and so far after a very hectic,stressful and emotional 10 days we love it............

long may that continue,and soon i hope to find the time to meet up with all the friends we have made on this forum.......XXXXXXXX

Guest Team 'W'

hi haley

you can just relax a little now ,theres sooo much to do when you get here.The day we arrived my o/h went straight out for a car ,this was an hour or so after arriving at our rental,he came home with a hire car for a week ,first thing we did was go to seaford to sort the bank out ,So armed with all necessary docs :passports,visas,paperwork, bank details in a big white envelope.called in a cafe for coffee and got kids some lunch while they were finishing of i took a walk round one of the shops near by and the family followed me on. got in the car to come home,half way to aldinga o/h said Wheres the paper work he thought i had it and vice versa realising we had[NO HE]had left it on the table in the cafe to say we burned some rubber was an understatement ,luckily for us the envelope with all our necessaties was handed in [THANK GOD]I stood an cried.all the emotions of comin of a flight barely had any sleep,wanting to get as much done as poss the kids were tired it knocks the stuffin out of you.But your here now and sorted by the sounds of it everything worked in your favour .good luck for the future.

Guest seekingsunshine

wow!you have done really well :) now you can get to relax as the nice weather comes :)

have you been to 'the fort' with your kids yet (in port noarlunga) i'm sure thy would love it there!

Guest mOZzy

well done you for getting all sorted so quickly!

we are on day 4 and have only just managed to do the bank account!

had to take dd to the hospital today and i've got the flu too lol - sods law!

will have to start looking for car and house like today ...

good luck with the rest!

Guest katsmajic

Well done, you've hit the ground running, best way imo, then when you get the big stuff sorted you can take a big deep breath out and enjoy the nice weather. :wubclub:

Guest ben&sharon
    :) Well done on getting so much done so quickly - I'm speaking from experience when I say that it will make settling in so much easier for you. And now you get to chill out and enjoy the fab weather!

Guest allie

yay you have all the neccessary bits sorted and now you can relax! well done on org everything so quickly :)

hope you enjoy the amazing sunshine and the bbq season!

allie :)

Wow, what a great positive post - you've done so much, now you can relax and enjoy all this lovely warm weather. Since you'll be moving to Seaford, if your kids fancy a meet up at the adventure playground fort sometime, give me a PM - My 4-year old is always up for a play!

Catrin

When you arrive, relax, you don't have to do everything quickly, do things at YOUR pace. You have the rest of your life in front of you.

When I arrived, I did nothing for ages........

I let the wife do it all!

Seriously, I read so many we did this much in x number of days. It really doesn't matter if it takes a week, 2 weeks or 3 months to get things in order.

Some thing are more important than others, but you have made a big jump moving here, enjoy it!!

An example, so what if it costs a few hundred dollars extra to keep hiring the car, buy the one you want, don't buy because you have been here for 5 days and still don't have wheels. Remember many thousands of people live without a car, there are taxis, trains, buses, trams, feet, bikes......

Guest kelv&haley

i have to disagree with 'adelaidenow',if you are coming with small children its neccessary to find stability asap,and avoiding spending extra money when you havent sold you house in the uk always helps!hiring cars is lost money and very expensive,...........my post was suposed to be positive for all those heading out worrying that it will take a long time to get settled.......XX

However the more you try and do in a short space of time , the more you rush, usually making the odd wrong decision (esp. in 37 degree heat!), which often ends up costing more and causing more angst for you and the rest of the family.

You wont be 'stable' for at least a year anyway. You will also find a lot of money is 'wasted', sadly that's the flip side of emigrating.

I have been here almost 6 years, and was saying only last week, that almost the entire contents of our house is now what we bought here in Aus. If we had stayed in the UK I doubt if we would have changed so much in the same time frame.

I am not usually right...I am always right.

Each to their own of course, everyone's circumstances are different course, I hope some people may read what I said and think it may work for them. Whereas others will want to do everything ASAP.

People should do what they are comfortable with. But reading all the options can mean you make the best decision.

Another thing I keep reading....bring UK extension boards.....I still have one, but (literally) the week we moved into our house we changed all the plugs to Aus, it was half a day's work but it was done and solved the thought of looking for adapters etc.

Guest PompeyPom

Back from Melbourne now so will call you later and have some well overdue beers,well done on the job hope things calm down for us all now and we can enjoy many sunny days together.

All the best Scott and gang

Guest Guest75
    I am not usually right...I am always right.

Each to their own of course, everyone's circumstances are different course, I hope some people may read what I said and think it may work for them. Whereas others will want to do everything ASAP.

People should do what they are comfortable with. But reading all the options can mean you make the best decision.

Another thing I keep reading....bring UK extension boards.....I still have one, but (literally) the week we moved into our house we changed all the plugs to Aus, it was half a day's work but it was done and solved the thought of looking for adapters etc.

LOL @ you.......

I know your heart is in the right place but did you have to widen all the doors in your house for your head??;);)