Guest clareeyles

Deciding on Adelaide

Guest clareeyles

Were hoping to come to Adelaide next year.That is me clare, husband Ben and our two boys Finn and Gabriel age 8 and 6.we have done a lot of researchand decided on adelaide because of the following.

1) Great climate and not humid like Brisbane

2) can afford to be close to the city for work(husband it)

3)potential hot spot with growing economy (defence mining boom)

4)We want to continue their Steiner school education and have a choice of two here

5)Could have an acerage but still be near city and coast

6)Fantastic Arts, Ballet etc

7)family friendly

8)Kangeroo Island

9)Food market and good restraunts

Why then when we speek to emigrating friends looking at Brisbane etc do we have the responce mmm You're going there.Iknow every ones needs and opinions are different but is Adelaide the forgotten city?

your thoughts welcomed

Clarex

Guest k8bug79
    Were hoping to come to Adelaide next year.That is me clare, husband Ben and our two boys Finn and Gabriel age 8 and 6.we have done a lot of researchand decided on adelaide because of the following.

4)We want to continue their Steiner school education and have a choice of two here

7)family friendly

8)Kangeroo Island

Why then when we speek to emigrating friends looking at Brisbane etc do we have the responce mmm You're going there.Iknow every ones needs and opinions are different but is Adelaide the forgotten city?

your thoughts welcomed

Clarex

Hi we are looking at going to Adelaide for almost excatly the same reasons as you. When we started this adventure we were told that my husband would only get sponsrship as a Chef from a few states so we investigated Adelaide, we then found out that my husband was eligible to be a citizen through his Dad and therefore the whole of Australia opened up for us, yet we still think Adeliade is right for us. (i hope we are right!!)

I really hope it is the forgoten city as I am not one to follow crowds and like the idea of going to Australia no litle Britain. I have found that on Poms in z (fr example) if you speak to people going thrugh the process the assumpion is you'll be going to Brisbane or Perth.

7)family friendly

8)Kangeroo Island

your thoughts welcomed

Clarex

Hi Clare,

I would give a tick to all your answers, we have applied for visa to go and live with our son, we have been out 3 times and found it a very nice place to live, its so friendly and laid back , I think that some of other states think they are the bee's knees, we have visited most of the other citys and still we think that Adelaide is a great place to live and bring up a family.

Best wishes

Les & Babs :)

Hi Clare

We've been in Adelaide almost a year now. Adelaide is seen as the "poor relation" or a large country town compared to the huge cities of Sydney and Perth. There is rivalry with Melbourne, a bit like the English/french thing. We have been to all cities apart from and Brisbane during our time here, and Adelaide is by far the smallest, but prettiest, very accessible to everything - like you can be in the middle of the city, and 30 minutes later sitting on the beach or in the hills.

It is over looked by most guide books and visitors, and this really is a shame. It's beautiful.

Perhaps a bit backward and things move slowly, but I reckon that's Australia as a whole. If I had to choose again it would still be Adelaide for all things you ticked off as being important and more...

Guest Kazzarazza

We've always thought that Adelaide is Australia's best kept secret. Been here since 90 and wouldn't live anywhere else. Your list of nine are spot on and only the start. The local real estate agents reckon there are more Sydneysiders coming to live in Adelaide now than ever before. They are visiting to enquire about defence jobs and soon realise that Adelaide is nothing like they have been led to believe. They can get soooo much more for their money and can't wait to get back here. That's got to tell you something.

Cheers, Kazza

Guest ben&sharon

We visited Perth before we visited Adelaide (although we'd already made the decision to move here) and we came across this attitude several times. It later transpired that nobody commenting on Adelaide had actually ever visited the place!

I'm sure I read a comment from someone (might have been on here?) that said 'Melbourne; nice place for a holiday but wouldn't want to live there / Adelaide; wouldn't pick it for a holiday but nice place to live'. No-one ever puts this city on their itinerary when they visit Australia, so it gets overlooked.

We picked it above all the other cities for most of the same reasons that you've listed above and we would also choose it again given the chance. It's a friendly, laid back area and a great place to bring up kids. And it's beautiful! There's so much lovely open space and so much variety; conservation parks and reserves, wine country, beaches...... We feel a bit spoilt most of the time and my husband and I still can't quite believe that we got so lucky with the place.

But don't assume that this place is light on Poms - there's loads of us!! Not quite the levels of saturation that you might get elsewhere perhaps, but still a fairly large number. But there are also a lot of Greeks, Italians and Kiwis, so we're in no way the majority of the immigrants.

The only way you'll find out whether it's right for you is to come and visit before you commit, if it's possible. We did a reccie trip and I've never regretted spending the money. It's such a big move and I'd have hated to have got it wrong.

Good luck!

Sharon.

Guest PhilC

We've been here for 3 weeks now and like it. I'd say pretty much everything in your list is true - can't comment on the schools as our two are too young right now, but it's definitely family friendly. You might want to investigate the job market a bit more before you come out - have a chat with Hayes and Hudson, they should give you an idea of the market is like.

Good luck

Phil