Guest james tiberius

White Goods Advice Please

Guest james tiberius

Hello all PIAs

Can anyone offer advice on whether to bring along our washing machine which is quite new. We intend to buy a new fridge once out in Adelaide, but we are unsure whether to bring along our washer. I believe white goods are expensive in Oz.

What did other migrants do when it comes to white goods?? Where in Oz\do you rent/buy white goods?:confused:

Any advice greatley appreciated.

JT, TW Family.

Hi James

Yes bring your washing machine, all electrical items should work fine over here. You can either change the plug when you arrive or bring an extension (UK) plug over and then by a adaptor plug here.

There are plenty of places to buy white goods, we found the "Good Guys" and "Harvey Norman" to be good and you need to haggle on the prices too.

When are you arriving in Adelaide?.

Guest theknights

Hi JT

We arrived 11 weeks ago today, we where advised to bring all our white goods as expensive but its a personal choice as some are more expensive and some are cheaper depending on brands , model, spec etc

You can rent over here at rentlo and radio rentals (strande i know)

All the best

Earl

I'd say bring everything you can. We did! the cost of replacing is huge and if you've space in your container - fill it! apart from that, alot of the washing machines are top loaders and ****e!!!!! another tip.........bring UK extention leads and then just change the one plug. Someone on this forum gave me that advice a year or so ago and was a godsend. Just means you don't have to be changing loads of plugs the minute you move into your house. Also bedding is really expensive....bring what you can.

Guest Here at last!

If it's quite new then bring it. I brought mine which was only a couple of years old. If you have space then bring everything. I really regret not bringing my tumble dryer.

Sonya

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I'm quoting the tumble dryer quote as my husband and I have been arguing about it (I say necessity - he says ridiculous!!!)

Liz

(leaving on the 23rd of November and not remotely packed or ready...)

Selah, definately a necessity for the tumble dryer - not in summer, but defo in winter. I was LOST without mine and ended up getting a cheap ****e one to tide me over. The houses don't have radiators or airing cupbaords (well generally anyway) so during the winter months it's impossible to dry clothes

Guest james tiberius

Thank you all for the advice. I think we will bring our washing machine and buy a friiddge freezer once there. We are arriving Jan 10th and I start work end of Jan. Been looking forward to this move but now its hitting us what a big move this is. No second thoughts, but a liitle apprenhensive.

I will be working in Gawler, not sure where we will end up living yet.

Once again thank you all.

Best wishes,

J.T and family.

Guest Ledges

Hiya,

We brought everything too including our american style fridge freezer which was only a few years old. So glad we did..it cost us £800 and would cost about $2100 to replace with a similar one. We know because we've checked. Tumble dryer too...although definately don't need it now we did in Sept when we arrived. Hoover, deep fat fryer,TV (but don't bring digi boxes or digital radios..they don't work).

And a microwave, we wished we'd brought our cheap asda one which only cost £30, only use it to re-heat, not found anything as cheap (only white ones) we're still doing without, and yes, yes, yes, I agree with everything said about the tumble dryer, our house looked like a laundrette!!!