How do you get to Adelaide?

Guest k8bug79

Guest k8bug79

Hi, I am nowhere near ready to book flights but wanted to investigate. I think we want to fly with Emirates just because I have flown with them before and always rate them but also we fancy doing a stopover in Dubai.

But a couple of questions

With the code that everyone has been using UKMOVE1 can you do a stopover? I looked on their website and although there was a connection in Dubai it didn't allow you to add a flight on a later date. But the price was really good. Maybe if I spoke to the sales centre direct?

Also as they allow you 50kgs of baggage and they only fly to Perth or Melbourne (unless there is another more obvious airport to fly into) how to get from either of those to Adelaide? I just looked at a flight search engine and it brought up Virgin Blue, rices wren't too bad but then I saw that it has no baggage, and surely 50kgs of baggage x 5 people is going to be mighty expensive. So how did you all get there or how are you getting there?

Guest steph&neil

Hiya I would call the flight operators direct, ask if they have an arrangement with other airlines (one world) not sure about all emirates flights but you may find that it is qantas flight from Dubai anyway (my sister & brother in law flew here last year with them (emirates) & it was a qantas flight via perth) so getting your onward flights to Adelaide might be easier than you think. Virgin blue are good but I think the charge in excess baggage would be very high, I would call emirates direct who can set you straight! x

Guest ade&emma

We came here last September and travelled via Dubia and we could only get the minimal baggage allowance and that was flying with emirates. Also we found that it far more expensive than travalling via any other destination. We only stopped over there as my dad lives there and was stopping over on route for a visit but wouldn't advise it if you are emigrating as we lost out on extra baggage allowance and more expensive. I don't know what the baggage allowance is now but would definately contact the airline direct to find out if this is an issue. Great place to go for a visit though so just depends on your resons for travelling via this route.

Guest Here at last!

We flew with Singapore airlines and had 3 nights in Singapore. As we had an unvalidated visa we were also allowed the 40kg baggage allowance.

Singapore airlines were fantastic would definately recommend them.

Sonya

Hi, I am nowhere near ready to book flights but wanted to investigate. I think we want to fly with Emirates just because I have flown with them before and always rate them but also we fancy doing a stopover in Dubai.

But a couple of questions

With the code that everyone has been using UKMOVE1 can you do a stopover? I looked on their website and although there was a connection in Dubai it didn't allow you to add a flight on a later date. But the price was really good. Maybe if I spoke to the sales centre direct?

Also as they allow you 50kgs of baggage and they only fly to Perth or Melbourne (unless there is another more obvious airport to fly into) how to get from either of those to Adelaide? I just looked at a flight search engine and it brought up Virgin Blue, rices wren't too bad but then I saw that it has no baggage, and surely 50kgs of baggage x 5 people is going to be mighty expensive. So how did you all get there or how are you getting there?

We got our visas on the 28th Sept and flew a week later on the 5th Oct. Autumn flights are heavily booked and all Singapore flights to Adelaide had gone for us. We could have flown with BA/Quantas to Adl but that would have been a week later and £1100 dearer than Emirates to Melbourne.

We booked a Virgin blue pass but you have to book three sector flights to get that deal. The main issue is that there baggage limit is 23kg and the excess is $10/kg. We forgot about our golf bags as they are free on many international carriers but not with Virgin Blue. They let us off so that saved $500 for us:notworthy:

Dubai airport - we found it to be expensive and it is a long flight over the never ending Indian Ocean to Melbourne (13.5hrs). We had a nightmare with this leg as they had moved us from our reserved seats and we lost our basinet for the little one but the service was excellent.

Good luck,

Cooler

Guest Team 'W'

Ye singapore airlines for us too,drove from st helens to london got the 11pm flight to singapore, stayed in transit hotel for 6 hrs to stretch and shower[i would av said sleep but that was nigh impossible]then boarded another singapore airline to adelaide I HATE FLYING. but id do this again and again.quite a few have a stop over at singapore for few days but i wanted it over and done with .

Guest k8bug79

Thanks guys, I only really want to stop in Dubai as I know the airportis good, plus as I am travelling with 3 young children and a big child (hubby) I don't want to be any more stressed than necessary. So I was thinking we could get some cheap shopping in and take the kids to t he Wild Wadi waterpark before setting off on the 2nd leg. Is there anything good for the kids to do in Singapore? Whilst I would love to go to both Singapore and Hong King I see them very much as a city break and 3 young children on a city break doesn't really appeal. However if it proves too difficult or too expensive I guess we'll have to lump it!!!

Guest k8bug79
Singapore Airlines are far better than Emirates in my experience, plus Dubai airport is a dreadful place to even spend an hour! Singapore fly into Adelaide so no problems with internal Aussie flights.

Its funny I loved Dubai airport (well it was 7 years ago I used it and it may well have changed so far beyond recognition as the rest of Dubai has in that time) tbh I wouldn't choose to spend any time in an airport, I will always be opting for at least 1 nights stop over somewhere

We flew Singapore airlines like many of the posters here -fantastic! we took the airbus, so it didn't even feel like you wree flying. The staff can't do enough for you, food is great. We didn't even do a stop over, just hung out in singapore airport for a couple hours, had a look at the butterfly garden (beautiful) then flew on to Adelaide. Couldn't have been smoother... highly recommended:)

Manchester to Abu Dhabi 7hrs 15, 3 hour stopover

Abu Dhabi to Sydney 14hrs 5.

About the same coming back from Brisbane via Dubai.

I know they fly via Singapore as our plane was delayed there coming back and they put us on an Emirates flight.

Etihad were great from start to finish and i was worried about the leg room as my son is 6ft 4 but had no problems unlike the one leg of the Emirates flight which was awful.

Etihads service, food and leg room was great plus they only had rows of 2 and 4 seats and people with young children were given cots.

Unfortunately one leg of Emirates was bad, as they had a middle row of about 6 people which is not nice on a long haul flight especially if the person next to you keeps falling asleep on you!! Our main complaint was each seat had a box under it (dont know what for) which mean even me at 5ft 5 couldnt put my legs out. Must admit the 2nd leg with Emirates was fine though.

A tip for booking your seats, dont book near toilet as people always passing you, and dont book near the front unless you want to be around young children as this is where all the cots are. Although to be honest the plane didnt seem to event the young children when landing so we were lucky.

dont know what to do , anyway we, in no rush to get down there , but think we probably head off in march , start to finish only took us 5months to get through the whole process , my wife is a nurse so it was all rather quick process or us to get a 176 visa . just about to put the house on the market to see how it goes , if we don,t have any joy will take it back off until after xmas , & if we sell soon we will head off march or before .

Guest ElleNico

I'm off to Adelaide in December for Christmas with family. Flying Singapore airlines an having a 3 day stopover in Singapore. Very excited about that (though hate flying!) and haven't decided what to do there yet. Will let you know what it's like and if there is anything you want me to find out while I'm there..just let me know!

Guest Lyndie Loue

We are taking the airbus with Singapore Airlines in April (have booked the Fear of Flying course with Virgin in the mean time!!!) We are doing a 2 day stop over in Singapore, can anyone tell me what the zoo is called? The kids would love that & is it easy enough to get to? thanks

Hi Lyndie,

The zoo in Singapore is called Singapore Zoo :cute:. It is fantastic in our opinion. You can have breakfast with the Orangutans and the enclosures are very low key.

I would recommend the night safari, in fact it is a must do, we loved it. It has it's own website and I remember it being not too hard to find or get to as we caught the train/tube there.

There is always Sentosa Island. Catch a cable car ride to Sentosa Island, with rides and attractions, including the light and music fountain.

Also if like me, you have some interest in history I would recommend "The Battle Box" in Fort Canning Park. World War 2 command bunker, with models and a museum, very interesting stuff !! I know it doesn't sound it, but I was interested anyway:)

All in all Singapore is a lovely place for a family to spend a few days, something for everyone. Don't even get me started on the food, WOW !!!!

Guest Here at last!

Our kids were 4 and 16 months when we stayed in Singapore and we had a great few days.

I would recommend trying to get a hotel with a pool as this is always a big hit with the kids. Even though it was raining we still used the pool as it was so hot.

The shopping in Singapore was fantastic. The food was very good and so much choice.

Singapore airport is the best airport I have ever been too. So peaceful and clean, it didn't feel like an airport and there was so much to do for all of use.